• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Working on a lamp for a customer. She had this odd metal roller and a couple pottery pieces that she wanted made into a floor lamp. I'll finish this base and turn a couple spacers and put it all together. This maple has some nice figure. (I wet it with alcohol to see grain better)

LOL, people are shocked when they find out I do electrical work. :po_O

PXL_20240110_025821495.jpgPXL_20240110_031214109.MP.jpg

Turned and sanded a large ambrosia maple natural edge bowl, finished with Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil that Leo suggested. (first coat). This is one of a set of 5 that I am currently working on. Wanted to max out may laguna 18/36 to see what it could handle. Approx. dia. 16.5" x 7"h 3/8" wall. Also incorporated for the first time 3 feet for foot of bowl. Took the entire day up but was well worth it I think. Quite the challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_5128 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5128 Medium.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5119 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5119 Medium.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5118 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5118 Medium.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 27
Rosewood—round blank was 8 x 4 inches, from Woodturning blanks 4 U, third time ordering there, nice product and service. Like that it was delivered round and not square. Turned easily. Sanded to 1000. One coat PTO. Sopping wet in these pictures.
View attachment 59187View attachment 59189
Looks good! I just wish I could turn outside like you are able to.
It's a balmy 29 right now with a predicted high of -2 by Sunday..

trade you for your inside spot. I can’t turn when it’s too cold or rainy or windy or dark . . .
If you saw my spot you'd get claustrophobic. I was going to post a picture in the shop thread since I've re arranged for the band saw but I forgot.

15 x 20 I think roughly. Dad called it a family room when he added on that part of the house. concrete floor, 60's paneling. cold. great place for kids to hang out! lol

Norm I'll give you this here, ignore the sealer part, you can try it but I found there to be no need for this (you can make it by thinning the oil with a thinner), also you have to keep the air away from the PTO, as it will harden the oil and you can not undo this after it has hardened, as with other oils where some added thinners will do just that, the PTO reacts by exposure to the air into a different material, and that can not be undone.

There are stop loss bags to preserve the PTO, but I have always used a re-closable glass (Beer) bottle, I will add just water to keep the bottle full, (Oil floats on water)

Also do not use steel wool, with turnings the wool will break off and steel particles will get imbedded into the wood, causing stains.

View attachment 59134 View attachment 59135
Leo, here’s a stupid question. There’s probably an obvious answer, but I’m not thinking of it. How do you get to the oil under the water when you’re ready for your next application? Does the water pour off first when you tip the bottle? I’d think they’d both come out somewhat together.

Yet another turning tool handle. I just received a 3/4" hollowing rig from Trent Bosch, and it didn't occur to me until it arrived that I don't have any handles for 3/4" shafts.

Yesterdays band saw blank.

ended up 9.5 x 4.75. Catalpa

This is an example of when to just throw in the towel. So much tear out, was out of balance despite the fact of being a fairly round blank. Had a lot of stress in it. Seemed to move after every cut almost. The epoxy was chipping out like glass and you can see it didn't fill all the ant warrens either.

I'll give this to my buddy whose yard it came out of with instructions of some assembly required. I stopped sanding after I run a piece of 180 around it. He can sand it to his hearts content after the DO cures.

Attachments

• PXL_20240113_015513248.jpg
    PXL_20240113_015513248.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240113_015438353.jpg
    PXL_20240113_015438353.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 41
Yesterdays band saw blank.

ended up 9.5 x 4.75. Catalpa

This is an example of when to just throw in the towel. So much tear out, was out of balance despite the fact of being a fairly round blank. Had a lot of stress in it. Seemed to move after every cut almost. The epoxy was chipping out like glass and you can see it didn't fill all the ant warrens either.

I'll give this to my buddy whose yard it came out of with instructions of some assembly required. I stopped sanding after I run a piece of 180 around it. He can sand it to his hearts content after the DO cures.
Maybe you should take that towel back Sam, just a careful return with a sharp gouge will safe that bowl, as for the Carpenter Ants, I have used thinners to kill them, just about any bug will not survive the application, plus the thinner will evaporate and the smell is then gone.

These buggers will chew around a plugged tunnel or opening, so that is a lost battle IMO.

As for Catalpa I like that wood, it wil not split or check and turnes well, these I turned a while ago, but I do have a bunch of blanks waiting plus others, maybe for in my next life it looks like I think :(

Yes it has a peculiar smell, to me it reminds me of some shoe polish, not a bad smell I find, and it does go away ;- ).

large Catalpa bowl.jpg
Catalpa bowl bottom.jpg
Catalpa tumbler bowl.jpg Large Catalpa blanks.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you should take that towel back Sam, just a careful return with a sharp gouge will safe that bowl, as for the Carpenter Ants, I have used thinners to kill them, just about any bug will not survive the application, plus the thinner will evaporate and the smell is then gone.

These buggers will chew around a plugged tunnel or opening, so that is a lost battle IMO.

As for Catalpa I like that wood, it wil not split or check and turnes well, these I turned a while ago, but I do have a bunch of blanks waiting plus others, maybe for in my next life it looks like I think :(

Yes it has a peculiar smell, to me it reminds me of some shoe polish, not a bad smell I find, and it does go away ;- ).

View attachment 59231
View attachment 59232
View attachment 59233 View attachment 59235
Are there different types of catalpa?

What I've turned so far has been dark and despite an interesting grain pattern in the bowls they aren't a nice color like the ones you show.

What I've turned so far has been dark and despite an interesting grain pattern in the bowls they aren't a nice color like the ones you show.
Yes Sam there are two Catalpa types, the ones I turned are the ordinary trees that grow around SW Ontario, there is at least one other that I know off. it is supposed together larger leafs and is used along driveways and in gardens I think.

Did you look at the blanks I still have ?, they do look darker in the picture, but are the same wood as the turnings IIRC.

I will have to look up the species differences. OK found this (easy, there is a lot more info in it, but this is the basics.

Catalpa species.jpg

Last edited:
After being quite sick over the holidays I finally got the ‘new-to-me’ Stubby S1000 of Harvey Fein ‘rocking head lathe’ fame bolted down and wired into the shop circuits.

It took quite some time to get it leveled. First up a simple, very thin walnut platter to be sure everything was aligned properly.

Attachments

• IMG_8984.jpeg
    IMG_8984.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9012.jpeg
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 47

One thing I had not thought about but I have experienced is that oil (finish or otherwise) will severely darken the soft open grain wood as it is sucked up like a sponge, Sumac will do this also as I experienced.

Sumac also has that soft open grain and turns fine as well, it just does not get very big.

Staghorn Sumac.jpg
Sumac roof on Magnolia body
Sumac roof on Magnolia body.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
One thing I had not thought about but I have experienced is that oil (finish or otherwise) will severely darken the soft open grain wood as it is sucked up like a sponge, Sumac will do this also as I experienced.

Sumac also has that soft open grain and turns fine as well, it just does not get very big.

View attachment 59255
View attachment 59256

Nice Sumac piece, Leo. I have a small chunk that’s been sitting around for a while. I’ve been a little bit intimidated by it, but might have to give it a turn soon.

Last edited:

View attachment 59255
View attachment 59256
I think I've turned 4 bowls so far out of three different trees but they all were dark before the finish.

Interesting grain just not a pleasant overall color to me anyway. I guess I just got used to all the walnut I turned being "usual" dark wood and the rest I turn is light wood. Ash, maple etc..

Alan, is that little hollow form bay laurel/myrtle? That would be my guess.

As for catalpa, the smell just does not agree with me at all. Kind of a sickly sweet smell. I only turned a bowl from it once. The tree I got the piece from did not have a hole in the center. The Paulonia/Royal Empress tree, which has similar blossoms does have a hole in the center. In 10 years, they can grow to 50+ foot tall and 12 inch diameter. I do have a catalpa box that I got at a club auction years ago, and the inside still stinks like the wood.

I don't think this thread will ever die. It is just too much fun!

robo hippy

Last edited:
Back