• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Small holly natural edge bowl. First turned in September then "lost" for awhile. Lots of movement and cracks that were filled with brown CA. Surprised at what the bowl gave because pens turned with holly were very blah.

Attachments

• inside.jpeg
    inside.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 14
  • side 1.jpeg
    side 1.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 14
  • side 2.jpeg
    side 2.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 14
Sis mentioned the other day she would like a yarn bowl. I had a red oak burl that I thought would be the right size. After knocking the bark off it was apparent with all the bark inclusions it would not make a suitable yarn bowl. But since it was on the lathe I decided to make something.....

IMG_3545.jpg
I didn't think I could hollow it without it blowing apart so I wrapped with shrink wrap and a few wraps of glass tape on top of that.
IMG_3546.jpg
Turned the tenon off by using a jam chuck. It's done now waiting for me to finish.

Website
www.instagram.com
Small birdseye walnut sushi bowl, in progress.
ABLVV868TQzySpNNTKYG_4PNgNdSK-A90nI5Ge-dsoXWDAt35041IeqPE5-KW4w5lAotNGQUGYYVf4zfiwDN4fHYjINZ9_iMwqB9o2hKbUzKpPU-XjhLj8kDZAjPaGDDicXTgCSUucNMesj7eHmIrVqBEzCogdcb8cx_x1ypArImkziTLeOEivZQlRpbIOJnVmxltmDSop3vObeWZ8kpsc48vy8B5KdYRNpXwvrbU668oE-bqq_BAHSx74ZKW-sXYvi-ovCWbgHIh8Wed3d_feBvI-YYbk1_BDz21HFlhStC6AigYKo2EkbR6Q-2-bkCRysx7VSB-5H_Iluz-9Ntuv7NssmzENTBJzx1M7r1yDqj0s4jExuktEWyB7mqJRtZSFzanMgeW5eI3UL9dBAzx5h6wn1Zs0OUxCJw7-LDoayk3JWNWuKf4SRpQCWW0nLKSPnX7J-K6vwysBEr2e0Oj0524ArhrXU5BQwwOYnLNpKjquzdy7toXu_UOwqwB1dsNRXv8N8MQfszR67D21UZREYEXPoeXK7PyMWyLuNAebiCTTRbiD32DN7qTa_s4U4xmhylY38P3ZAX92zTFGRapIhRvYoOgVFqRgJwLHGb9WWx2aX0_vZEPeVqXZu5UhnhfErPk6ajaErLCbaH1s7AOz3knRv0H8FQpMFTFsnyOlZ5Ay94uDmnj7mwxxLajKzFAw0SvelRXFGtPqco2C0AxEffneDjfu-Z5-KQcVrTVPrSSdlA3TL8xoZVx6uXP2M21NyvQNEZuvFn56onYt7pAccJt9a3zjAQ201d14W5CrrfDUVjSM8htDWWxFMEDzOKa6UlkpfkTJk0Szx6briiR8wahh0kWMMrKLgvPO5YeqEHZ_SlnxHHB6oKvS9qhlFu-kAj31CpMmU=w629-h644-s-no-gm

Wife found a chunk of oak in the road and brought it home.
IMG_7224.jpg
She said can you make something?
IMG_7222.jpg
IMG_7221.jpg
Water was flying out as I turned it. Going to let it dry and finish it up later.
IMG_7227.jpg

Finally finished sanding the monster Ambrosia Maple NE bowl today. Not sure what kind of finish to put on It yet. The other bowl was a odd blank mostly sapwood from a hickory tree that was salvaged 2 years ago. Tried and true finish one coat.

Attachments

• IMG_5048 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5048 Medium.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5052 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5052 Medium.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5054 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5054 Medium.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 27
Been trying to organize and clean out basement shop and I found this pice that I started a while ago and he fell on the ground and was forgotten about so I took some time and this is what I came up with? It’s not finished yet still needs to be hollowed out and finished better!
IMG_3343.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3348.jpeg
    IMG_3348.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3346.jpeg
    IMG_3346.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 21
First turning of 2024. Nothing fancy; a small base for a jar candle I gave my charming wife for Christmas that we didn't seem to have a base for. A good excuse to turn something don'cha think? Something a wee bit different, and I have some ideas for the future using this technique. Not as fancy as Michael's "cereal" bowls, but one has to start somewhere. I did have a bit of trouble with vibration because of the thin wood, so I'll likely try out a steady rest on the next one. Birdseye maple laminated with walnut wedges; 8 inches diameter and 1/4 or so thick (as turned) - the material started out as a 7/8 inch thick blank.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Attachments

• 20240101_154240.jpg
    20240101_154240.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240101_163102.jpg
    20240101_163102.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240101_163116.jpg
    20240101_163116.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 32
A few pages back, I showed this ash bowl, in progress, that I wanted to keep as white as possible, to avoid the darkening and yellowing that happens when finishing. My plan, this time around, was to use two part wood bleach followed by shellac, the lightest I could find.
Simple enough, but the devil’s always in the details.
The bowl was sanded to 800, then bleached. Bleaching was straightforward enough, directions are easy. The bleaching liquids really soak in deep. The wood was quite wet. I let it dry longer than the directions suggest, two days. I really think that I should’ve let it set for a week or two for the fibers to go back to the dry state.
I resanded and brushed on a one pound cut of ultra blonde shellac, from flakes and dna. Let dry overnight, resanded and recoated for three coats. I buffed the last coat with white non-woven pads while on the lathe.
I like it, think the process was mostly good. And the result is close to what I wanted.
Ive debated giving it a top coat of something more handleable than just shellac, but am not sure it’s necessary, and don’t want to add yellow at this point. Maybe just a coat of wax for that extra pop will be enough for the uses it’s likely to see.
IMG_2351.jpeg
Sanded lathe white
IMG_2495.jpeg
After bleach
IMG_2496.jpeg
Wet shellac. I was kind of concerned!
IMG_2501.jpeg
After shellac dried and sanded

The finished photo is in the gallery

A few pages back, I showed this ash bowl, in progress, that I wanted to keep as white as possible, to avoid the darkening and yellowing that happens when finishing. My plan, this time around, was to use two part wood bleach followed by shellac, the lightest I could find.
Simple enough, but the devil’s always in the details.
The bowl was sanded to 800, then bleached. Bleaching was straightforward enough, directions are easy. The bleaching liquids really soak in deep. The wood was quite wet. I let it dry longer than the directions suggest, two days. I really think that I should’ve let it set for a week or two for the fibers to go back to the dry state.
I resanded and brushed on a one pound cut of ultra blonde shellac, from flakes and dna. Let dry overnight, resanded and recoated for three coats. I buffed the last coat with white non-woven pads while on the lathe.
I like it, think the process was mostly good. And the result is close to what I wanted.
Ive debated giving it a top coat of something more handleable than just shellac, but am not sure it’s necessary, and don’t want to add yellow at this point. Maybe just a coat of wax for that extra pop will be enough for the uses it’s likely to see.
View attachment 58909
Sanded lathe white
View attachment 58910
After bleach
View attachment 58911
Wet shellac. I was kind of concerned!
View attachment 58912
After shellac dried and sanded

The finished photo is in the gallery
Marc:
Thanks for the details on the finishing process. The result is very nice. Something to put on my list for future experimentation as I have a large rack full of white ash.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

First coat of Tried and True Oil on Ambrosia Maple Bowl this morning. Does anyone thin this oil it seemed to be a bit thick. The Danish Oil and Varnish Oil by tried and true is much thinner.

Attachments

• IMG_5068 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5068 Medium.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5066 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5066 Medium.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5064 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5064 Medium.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 19
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
First coat of Tried and True Oil on Ambrosia Maple Bowl this morning. Does anyone thin this oil it seemed to be a bit thick. The Danish Oil and Varnish Oil by tried and true is much thinner.
Yep Tried & True original is quite thick, it being a blend of linseed oil & Beeswax (I find it comes out better if you put your first coats on being T&T Danish Oil or Varnish, with Original being the last coat - T&T Danish oil is the quickest to deal with at the beginning, I think) T&T Original only needs a very thin coat per application , Can't really flood it on, and then it would take forever to cure if you layer it in too thick, and a lot gets wasted wiping it "dry" after, so I usually just dab a bit of rag and apply lots of elbow grease to rub it in until it won't rub in any further out, then dab a bit more, until full coverage is achieved. Which is why it seems to go a bit faster starting with their Danish oil (soaks in and wipes away excess relatively quickly - 15 minutes compared to the 1 hour soak time for Original & Varnish) and then the Original coats on much easier with the D.O. underneath it. JMHO - but their website instructions on the use of each kind is a huge help over trying it "by the seat of the pants".... (Plus, if you later decide on a different oil finish , nothing will stick to the oil & beeswax properly, but it can be applied over the D.O. and Varnish oils)

Kevin Jesequel

TOTW Team
I agree with Brian, and use the original as the final coat after two of the T&T Danish oil. I have thinned both the Danish oil and the Varnish oil 1:1 with Limone D citrus solvent. I will generally use the thinned version of either as the first coat. I find it penetrates and “pops” the figure faster. I do sand to a high grit, which may be why the uncut versions don’t penetrate as well.

Been trying to organize and clean out basement shop and I found this pice that I started a while ago and he fell on the ground and was forgotten about so I took some time and this is what I came up with? It’s not finished yet still needs to be hollowed out and finished better!
View attachment 58891

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the information on Tried & True oils. Wondering will the Doctors Woodshop oil work as well as the Tried and True danish oil for the first 2 coats. Does have some wax in it

Marc have you looked into a waterbased finish? They are supposed to resist yellowing to a high degree.
No, Gary, I haven’t. I’m still very new to all of the different finishes. I’ve shied away from water base finishes because I think they are surface only, and reports are that it doesn’t do much for enhancing grain. Something I should try though. Also I haven’t used lacquer either. Info from other threads here suggests that it could be interesting and fun.
I don’t see either of these to be good options if the bowl will be used and washed, which I‘m not concerned with on this piece.

I roughed out a couple of English Walnut bowls from some wood I got a few months ago. It is already starting to spalt. I got one core from each piece.

View attachment 58948View attachment 58949
I looked up fungi in "Hoadley's Understanding Wood" came across this text between two illustrations and I quote "As certain white rots develop, dark zone lines form as on this piece of sugar maple above. This type of decay is called spalting. Below, turning of spalted maple, by Mark Lindquist".
This is where I first was introduced to the term and what I think of as spalting, but I realize that the definitions on line seem to categorize all forms of rot under the term SPALTING.
Anyway I have never seen spalting zone lines in walnut and it doesn't appear that they are present in your bowl, but I have seen white rot similar to your bowl in black walnut. Note Understanding Wood was first published in 1980 by Taunton Press.

Back