• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Well, it's not my usual walnut but it is one of the first pieces of green wood in my turning journey back in March.

Next piece will probably get dyed, this just doesn't jump out and say wow.

10.5 x 3 Most of that extra long foot will be taken off when I remove the tenon. I didn't know what I was going to do with it back then so I left plenty of design opportunities.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_034537754.jpg
    PXL_20231125_034537754.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20231125_034553069.jpg
    PXL_20231125_034553069.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Another hickory bowl from scratch yesterday. Had a crack in it and filled with coffee grinds and CA. Wondering if you think deters anyone from wanting a bowl with a fixed crack even if only slight? 14"diameter x 5"in height, tried and true original finish one coat.

Attachments

• IMG_4797 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4797 Medium.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4801 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4801 Medium.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 41

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Wondering if you think deters anyone from wanting a bowl with a fixed crack even if only slight?
Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

If you're going to give the bowl to a friend.....sure, they'll take it, and appreciate the gesture.

If you're going to try to sell it, it will be a hard sell. Although, I have sold bowls with repaired cracks, it all depends on how well you've disguised it, and what the rest of the bowl looks like. Some turners use those hourglass "pewas", and fill cracks with turquoise, among other things......but, I've never been a fan of the "repaired look". On the other hand, some people are ok with the "repaired look", so take that comment for what it's worth, too!

If it were me, I'd give that one away to someone who will appreciate the gift, and move on to all the other bowls that don't have flaws to deal with. One thing about bowl turning, is you'll ALWAYS have a reject here and there.....it's just the nature of the game. So.....many times, I go ahead and complete the bowl, knowing that it will be a give-away bowl, anyway. I never seem to run out of people who are thrilled to receive handmade "free stuff"!

-o-

Last edited:
I think I'm going to put this picture behind the lathe and print on it "STOP! PUT DOWN THE TORCH! DON"T DO IT!"

You would have thought I learned my lesson on the last one I did and what happens with the cracks..... Apparently I didn't.

Oak 4.25 tall x 6.5 diameter. Maybe that's my problem....Oak. hmmm try different species.. NO wait. refer to the sign SAM.

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_022058712.jpg
    PXL_20231127_022058712.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20231127_022108729.jpg
    PXL_20231127_022108729.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 59

odie

TOTW Team
You would have thought I learned my lesson on the last one I did and what happens with the cracks..... Apparently I didn't.

Sam:

If I'm understanding correctly, your troubles are that torch flames penetrate already existing cracks, and darken the oak wood deeper than they do the surrounding uncracked wood? The final result is the cracks are actually accentuated, or made to stand out more so than if the surface were untreated with the torch....such as shown in the interior photo?

-o-

Sam:

If I'm understanding correctly, your troubles are that torch flames penetrate already existing cracks, and darken the oak wood deeper than they do the surrounding uncracked wood? The final result is the cracks are actually accentuated, or made to stand out more so than if the surface were untreated with the torch....such as shown in the interior photo?

-o-
No, what I did I believe was probably a rookie mistake. Although the cracks could have been there but not visible.

In the process of using the torch I got carried away and got the entire bowl too hot trying to get a more uniform appearance of color and wammo. Cracks appeared. Whether they were there beforehand I don't know on the first one I did it to. On this example the cracks followed the medullary? rays. So I filled them with black "ca" then turned and sanded back. Completely changing the look I was going for with the torch in the first place. That's why I left well enough alone and didn't heat it up again on the inside.

Best case scenario it will be a flower pot with florist foam in there with some fake flowers stuck in it or another candy dish full of candy so inside matching outside wasn't a priority to me.

I didn't get the cracks in the pic very well. (who likes taking pics of their mistakes?) If you look at that top glare you can kind of see the line of black "ca".

odie

TOTW Team
No, what I did I believe was probably a rookie mistake. Although the cracks could have been there but not visible.

In the process of using the torch I got carried away and got the entire bowl too hot trying to get a more uniform appearance of color and wammo. Cracks appeared. Whether they were there beforehand I don't know on the first one I did it to. On this example the cracks followed the medullary? rays. So I filled them with black "ca" then turned and sanded back. Completely changing the look I was going for with the torch in the first place. That's why I left well enough alone and didn't heat it up again on the inside.

Best case scenario it will be a flower pot with florist foam in there with some fake flowers stuck in it or another candy dish full of candy so inside matching outside wasn't a priority to me.

I didn't get the cracks in the pic very well. (who likes taking pics of their mistakes?) If you look at that top glare you can kind of see the line of black "ca".

Uh huh.....OK, I see now. :)

What is the moisture content of the wood blank?

It's possible that unstabilized wood might yield a different result than if dry......and......as you suggested, species might have different results, too.

I have ruined countless bowls by experimenting with various things, but one thing is certain......your knowledge always benefits. :)

-o-

Uh huh.....OK, I see now. :)

What is the moisture content of the wood blank?

It's possible that unstabilized wood might yield a different result than if dry......and......as you suggested, species might have different results, too.

I have ruined countless bowls by experimenting with various things, but one thing is certain......your knowledge always benefits. :)

-o-
I don't know what the exact moisture content would have been. The roughed out bowl was turned at least 3 probably closer to 4 years ago.

Since I was getting mildew on my fresh turned bowls by keeping them down in the basement I have been keeping them in the shop with all of the bowls. Will a 3-4 year old bowl draw a lot of moisture out of the air? The fresh ones are on different shelves from the dry ones, but it is just wire shelves.

For this "experiment" I've learned----Put down the Torch!

Last edited:
Local tree trimming service dropped off these beauties this morning. It's a 6' hickory log and a large camphor stump. This will be my first attempt with hickory. Any suggestions on processing it?

View attachment 57811
Cut it into turning blocks/slabs now. Bag them all in plastic (shrink wrap works well, or plastic trash bags). Rough turn them very soon—it’s usually the only work I do till it’s all been rough turned. Seal them (anchorseal or similar) all over as you finish the turning. Don’t ever let them sit before sealing. Then wait.

This method is to take full control of the drying as soon as you can, when you received it. Result is a stable blank and no cracking.

Hickory is so buttery soft turning when wet, so enjoy it! Once dried it’s hard as nails. Gorgeous wood!

I'm envious

odie

TOTW Team
Will a 3-4 year old bowl draw a lot of moisture out of the air?

Well now....you got me there! I would assume a 2-3 year old roughed bowl has stabilized to the environment it's in. If it's been moved to another environment with higher humidity, then maybe so.

We still don't know for sure if the MC is a factor in producing the cracks in your bowl.

Lots of variables that could affect this.

-o-

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Will a 3-4 year old bowl draw a lot of moisture out of the air?

Wood moisture content will go to equilibrium with its environment.
Dryer warmer environment less MC in the wood.
Colder damper environment more MC in the wood

My drying space has a humidity of 50% and a temp of 70-75 so my pieces dry to 9% + a bit.

Find your environments in the chart below to learn how dry you wood can get or how much Mc can increase in its new place
IMG_0742.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know what the exact moisture content would have been. The roughed out bowl was turned at least 3 probably closer to 4 years ago.

Since I was getting mildew on my fresh turned bowls by keeping them down in the basement I have been keeping them in the shop with all of the bowls. Will a 3-4 year old bowl draw a lot of moisture out of the air? The fresh ones are on different shelves from the dry ones, but it is just wire shelves.

For this "experiment" I've learned----Put down the Torch!
No matter the moisture content of the wood, heating with the torch will dry the surface wood and shrink it, at least temporarily. Oak, in particular won’t put up with this. As tough and hard as Oak is,,it’s not very elastic, if you want it to move, you have to do it slowly. A hotter torch could help so that you can singe and get off quickly. Or a softer wood?

Spent most of the afternoon making a new set of shelves for my accumulating wood stash.
Did load up a piece of 9 inch black limba to make a bowl for my nephew to hold his meds.
Thanks. It isn't a crack it's just the grain pattern. I did take precautions though just in case!
First coat of oil put on.
IMG_6802.jpg

Started another beech dish project. Wife is gone for 6 days so no distractions. Got pretty far with it today. Bottom side is mostly done. Top side needs sanding and finish. The center part is where the two stacks of wood were joined. I guess my glue up wasn't lined up grain wise. I should have the ink on the top by the end of the afternoon. Might even get the shellac and friction polish done. Depends how fast things dry.
Kinda cold here!
IMG_6803.jpg
IMG_6805.jpg

Last edited:
Had a design change/challenge opportunity and ended up doing the woodturners equivalent of the limbo.

Instead of "how low can you go?", this was "How thin can I go?"

I've been thinking maybe I needed to check/replace my bearings in the spindle but like everything else it must have been operator error making me think that because if they were causing vibration I doubt this would have survived. By the time I got it sanded it was uniform and I could feel the air through it when blowing the dust off.

The finishing curls were made with a regular Thompson bowl scraper. I still get a better finish with that than a gouge. smoother anyway and seem to be able to have a lighter touch.

6.75 x 2.5 ash I believe

Attachments

• PXL_20231130_195236853.jpg
    PXL_20231130_195236853.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20231130_195249005.jpg
    PXL_20231130_195249005.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I had sold this to a neighbor a few years ago. They love it, but left a tomato on it when they went on vacation . It rotted and left a nasty stain. She brought it to me in hopes that I could fix it. I wasn’t obliged to do anything, but was interested in the challenge.
There was enough thickness that I felt I could take a tool to it if I could safely hold it. So, I used my new chuck from odd-not, which worked beautifully. I can grip it from either side, spun it at 1000 rpm and used a negative rake scraper to re shape the interior and remove the stain. Then resanding and finishing in shellac as had been, but also coated in danish oil. Maybe this will hold up better. Such a lovely piece of wood, so glad it’s back, and in truth, better than new. We learn, grow and improve!

IMG_2323.jpegIMG_2320.jpegIMG_2328.jpeg

Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia sasoo) sourced locally in theTampa Bay area in July. I have a few more chunks, but should have gotten more. Once turned at 9+" and 3/8" thick. Sanded and waiting a few days to finish sand and apply some finish. Not sure what yet - any suggestions?

Attachments

• 17016349413141785691088.jpg
    17016349413141785691088.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 17016349816861109187745.jpg
    17016349816861109187745.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 22
Yep. This wood had already started checking when I went to pick it up and had a bunch of hidden cracks that didnt show up until it had dried some more.
I hate when that happens. I have had a few pieces that looked great on the outside. Once I got it balanced and the outside to shape I turned off the lathe to find cracks inside.

Back