• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Also, brought to round an Australian Bimblebox burl bowl. Some of you may remember this one, as there was a thread discussing it. When I initially roughed it out, a very big void appeared that was a complete surprise to me. :( I've decided to finish it up and keep that void.....we'll see how it turns out.....fingers crossed on this one! Bottom of bowl will have to be extra thick, so as not to punch through on both sides. As usual with many of these exotic woods, I'll have to deal with other scattered cracks, bark inclusions, and voids in this one. Comments welcome.

View attachment 56737 View attachment 56738
Update on the Bimblebox burl bowl with the huge void. Looks like I might get
something usable out of this after all. Still have to do the foot, and that will be
about two weeks from now. As you can see in the interior, I'm just breaking
through to the big void, so I left the depth of the interior there. It's approximately'
3/4" thick there, but I figured it looks better at this thickness, than if I had gone
thinner. As a result, the bowl will be fairly heavy, relative to it's size.
20231102_135023.jpg 20231102_135047.jpg

Last edited:
2 cherry bowls, unsure if ornamental or wild from a friends place. The rounds had pp beetles plus ants so baked both in a toaster oven for 6 hours at 140F. Bowl 1 blank was baked first then turned and finished while #2 was turned, sanded to 600g then baked. There was slight distortion after baking the finished bowl but the wood was quite dry when turned.

Attachments

• bowl 2 side.jpeg
    bowl 2 side.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 24
  • bowl 2 front.jpeg
    bowl 2 front.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 23
  • bowl 1 side.jpeg
    bowl 1 side.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 23
  • bowl 1 front.jpeg
    bowl 1 front.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 24
Website
jpseyfried.com
Phil, I have been having fun making finials for a while. When I first started I used a “Finial Chucky” made by rubber Chucky. That made it easier to make a point on the end. Probably what helped me the most was watching Cindy Drozda videos. You are doing well, but one thing that might make it a bit easier is to get the top of the finial as thin as you want it before removing wood more towards the bottom. Once you move on you can’t go back, except for some light sanding.

Starting on a piece of what I was told is a cherry burl. Somehow that doesnt look right for that. Almost looks like a mahogany, quilted or burl. Any guesses? It developed very good chatoyance as evidenced by this picture.
View attachment 57134
It has the right coloring for butternut but I have never seen a butternut burl. Butternut also is very soft and open grained so maybe?

Gary, first look at that bowl, and I thought it was California Bay Laurel/Oregon Myrtle wood. The color is about right for a lot of the myrtle we get here. It does tend to have a kind of sweet spicy smell to it. If it is starting to rot, it can smell like a horse stall.... It is one of those woods that the higher grit you sand to, the more it glows.

robo hippy

My wife wanted a tabletop for this plant stand. I could have done it with dimensional lumber but I wanted to turn it. One of my mulberry logs was just big enough to turn a 12" side grain plate. Getting a thinnish, 12" plate flat was not as easy as you might think (at least for me).

ADCreHc9_BXIOzbQpxyA-P26ahd899U5ZqzgnrUueFUPsiRlHPW6xiOl9I2xcrmKPag4YLKWLUU5L6DtH1cS-63DxJFvqqT8yCUDIQxnW_YYMdzU5y79RoIu4bGRgZ3bxaXXGACAZL9hvQCSjUZA0T9hlbbDTTOmhjCcgotLCxcH6jmRiTEOr58wwt4G2Uo0kad2Z2Ql9sJ7FhoPoZg8Y16n_VwoMPKsINdAuiunCEyXIDjU8pQbhDCBTNNiWvpMjMmKSWefIZpunCJJEStT6i-3XCCv5SLj9GWFYDsLvPhgzAFgfLmwNFHqCH7g5CBQjDjSkJ_eTLE_V1iyoxlwvU8nRvRRtYwuexjV3TehJbAjGYbQNiebjlX4U3l6_oeQXL8xBGWniM9jxGFT9luDGP6S_yjyqIx0ptiwHQj0rTBiyIWWf1_TawCFHh9FeFweEQNeSSzKo_8DfQaUVYlmX97xGZyB1q24-2uxZKPMdVJqBW5AN4KUtWOSuKGGdW5ubMw1KdmldliL4d1nLWuoYt-5lbkPuJuJNPR5fJKGE6qYyZiyebnGfBIkoGrTH7UcKf-Y81Usmge-pFs2ytNs6p__RacBTyPKemLEFc12Zj7vvW5JjQgnFrlJOp3eWjncNFHVsOxyuLpVRtGTDFdF7PrWJWgXx73BhhEJPCTXw_y79Q40J20BMujo_zWQs_lDxwLlxe7gtZ37MHA69ypodxA6SPZ2nHqv-hZ-GJZgn_pyVEVqRkZGKVpn7edsYh8JSH9BoP0cuX3kKpHPqwvNjqBN2cS4YxyvT6d7PAgCqfFeaqEuMhxkNolQ7-hzGbCa0N3AzmaWAhTwEJAV62x-0hj2Gw_crIg0y867u-Hnz1rXd_itk_AfDcpliQ3KutQdyYuvdCJA8tof-BN5Ih58tBYNYFFRrr8=w599-h1330-s-no-gm

It occurs to me that piece of hophornbeam looks an awful lot like osage orange. I used an app to identify the tree before I cut it down but now I'm not sure.
Yes I thought it had to be something other then Hop Hornbeam because I was just turning some wooden bolts in American hornbeam or as the locals call it "iron wood" and that is not a ring porous wood. The sapwood is very white and dense/hard and the heart wood is a dull brown and not as hard.

IMG_0468.jpg I just started to make wooden bolts to mount my grandfathers Remington Arms Company 1889 SXS shot gun on my wall. The mounting will consist of a two piece wooden clamp for the stock and for the barrel held together by 1/2" - 8threaded bolt with a 7/8" hex head. The first picture is sizing the blank at 1" diameter for the head then the next step will be to mount the blanks in my Beal Jumbo chuck with 1" collet to turn the 1/2" dia for threading.

I have one piece of Eastern Hop Horn Beam. I picked it up from a 2 time president of the International Wood Collectors Society. It is pretty much white with a slightly darker heart wood. It came from Vienna, Virginia. They put a postage sticker on it dated 7/16/93 and just mailed the blank..... Guess the sender wasn't worried about it getting damaged in transit.... Other than that, I wouldn't know a hop horn beam if it fell on me....

robo hippy

Now I have no idea what it is. Guesses? Ignore the two on the right in the first picture. With that hole down through the center it isn't osage orange.

IMG_20231108_121958.jpgIMG_20231108_121920.jpg

Last edited:
Finished NEB of honey locust with Tried and True. Turned some hollow forms yesterday and today using some horse chestnut, Not really happy with sanding going to let them dry and give them another go. Not sure what finish to use on them.

Attachments

• IMG_4686 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4686 Medium.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4685 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4685 Medium.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4692 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4692 Medium.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18
Next step is cutting the 7/8" hex on the milling machine with a spin index fixture that is advance the index starting at 0 degree then 60, 120 180 240 & 300

IMG_0479.jpgIMG_0481.jpg
Tomorrow cut the threads and maybe finish the hex head

Now I have no idea what it is. Guesses? Ignore the two on the right in the first picture. With that hole down through the center it isn't osage orange.

View attachment 57208View attachment 57209
I'm not sure what you got there Kent, but I do have pictures of Hornbeam, aka Blue Beech, muscle wood or Iron wood, and Hop Hornbeam also know as Iron wood.

There are many of these smaller trees mostly, on my sons property and I made some pictures of them there, typical Hop Hornbeam have these loose strips bark the Hornbeam has blueish smooth bark.

The wild Turkeys like the Hop Hornbeam seeds and come by with the whole flock picking as they go.

Hornbeam & Hop Hoenbeam.jpgHop Hornbeam.jpgHop Hornbeam seedpots.jpgHop Hornbeam plate.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'm not sure what you got there Kent, but I do have pictures of Hornbeam, aka Blue Beech, muscle wood or Iron wood, and Hop Hornbeam also know as Iron wood.

View attachment 57246
Interesting.. It is the one on the left (the blue-ish grey smooth bark) that I know locally as Ironwood , Can't say I have noticed any other trees referred to as Ironwood, until I joined AAW and find that some species names may vary by region (Desert Ironwood, for example) The one on the right I presume is the one that drops those seeds turkey love so much , so I'm fairly sure we had a few such trees on the farm, but I can't say as I recall anyone mentioning what the tree was... Just seemed like Turkeys preferred to flock around those particular trees.....

There are many of these smaller trees mostly, on my sons property and I made some pictures of them there, typical Hop Hornbeam have these loose strips bark the Hornbeam has blueish smooth bark.

The wild Turkeys like the Hop Hornbeam seeds and come by with the whole flock picking as they go.

I wonder if it could be honey locust. This tree was about 10 feet from a large honey locust. It was 12 years old according to ring identification. It's definitely not hornbeam as I originally thought (tricked by Picture This app). I cut down a smaller hornbeam and it has the wide, pale sapwood and dark heartwood.

View attachment 57246View attachment 57247View attachment 57248View attachment 57249
Have you seen a hungry squirrel feeding on the seeds? Quite a show!

View attachment 57246View attachment 57247View attachment 57248View attachment 57249
The first 2 pictures showing the bark with a slight twist to the pattern are exactly what I look for when harvesting iron wood. The trees that I get are not as big as those appear to be but the wood is excellent for hand screws or wooden bolts.
101_1389.JPG
This hand screw has maple jaws and hornbeam/iron wood screws, the handle area was built up with walnut so that the turning blanks could use less iron wood.

I think the middle-sized one with the darker heartwood is the hophornbeam (which is what you said). The left, larger tree is the one I'm wondering about. It isn't dogwood, though. Dogwood has almost a white sapwood, very little heartwood, and tight grained. The smallest tree laying under the others is a dogwood.

I think the middle-sized one with the darker heartwood is the hophornbeam (which is what you said). The left, larger tree is the one I'm wondering about. It isn't dogwood, though. Dogwood has almost a white sapwood, very little heartwood, and tight grained. The smallest tree laying under the others is a dogwood.
I made more close-ups from the pictures, I don't know what tree this is, all kinds of leafs around like Oak leaves
?? LOG.jpg

Then the two other pieces are here, the one on the right could be OAK ??, but I don't know.

what wood.jpg

Back