• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Yesterday didn't go as nice as planned. Walnut pieces I grabbed kept blowing apart as I was just about finished turning. Laying on the ground untouched has filled all the pieces with cracks! Glad I only paid 10 bucks for the whole truck load. This final piece started out as a 4x4 chunk and ended up around 1 1/2 around. Looks ok but has a few chunks missing in spots. Was good practice. Need to refine the shape more.
IMG_6234.jpg

I’ve come into a few nice pieces of a walnut tree. Too good to turn completely into shavings, I used the McNaughton to core out a few bowls- 12 1/2”, 8” and 5” from this one. I’ve got another two 13” blanks to work on which should provide the same number of bowls. If I had a better sense of how much this walnut will shrink, I might have been able to opt for thinnner walls and get one or two more bowls from each piece, but for now I’m sticking with the 10% wall thickness rule. Better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• 82FDF7C0-6540-4CF9-AA10-3FB0315CBC30.jpeg
    82FDF7C0-6540-4CF9-AA10-3FB0315CBC30.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • AD3CA971-7E94-4129-AA4D-0FF2423E8607.jpeg
    AD3CA971-7E94-4129-AA4D-0FF2423E8607.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 38638FB2-62BC-421F-B5EE-56A133BFA7B4.jpeg
    38638FB2-62BC-421F-B5EE-56A133BFA7B4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Finished off an 11" maple burl last evening:

20231012_212712.jpg 20231012_212759.jpg

Quick question for anyone who cares to give an opinion: ^^^^^ This bowl has a rounded edge where the interior meets the exterior. Below is another bowl with a squared off intersection between the interior and exterior. Just wondering if anyone has preferences, or does one look any more appealing to the eye than the other......or, does it make any difference? I find the rounded edge to be a little more time consuming than the squared edge is.....that's my only feeling about it, otherwise, I like them both......

Below is the squared edge:

IMG_1778.JPG

-o-

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Just wondering if anyone has preferences
Hi! I agree that they both look great. I think the squared edge works better than the rounded edge, mostly because it's more aligned with your other design choices: sharp features, angular transitions, and even the crisp and precise line embellishments. You know what they say about opinions though: they're worth however much you paid ;)

Website
www.ovwg.org
Finished off an 11" maple burl last evening:

View attachment 56388 View attachment 56389

Quick question for anyone who cares to give an opinion: ^^^^^ This bowl has a rounded edge where the interior meets the exterior. Below is another bowl with a squared off intersection between the interior and exterior. Just wondering if anyone has preferences, or does one look any more appealing to the eye than the other......or, does it make any difference? I find the rounded edge to be a little more time consuming than the squared edge is.....that's my only feeling about it, otherwise, I like them both......

Below is the squared edge:

View attachment 56390

-o-
I like both too. If I just had to choose one I would probably lean towards the squared edge.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Hi! I agree that they both look great. I think the squared edge works better than the rounded edge, mostly because it's more aligned with your other design choices: sharp features, angular transitions, and even the crisp and precise line embellishments. You know what they say about opinions though: they're worth however much you paid ;)
I agree with Michael. The reason may be that the bowl with the rounded edges also has some flat/square details - design incompatibility? Maybe all round details and/or all square details. Re opinions, another saying - Opinions are like a$$#oles ... everyone has one! o_O

odie

TOTW Team
@Michael Anderson
@Gabriel Hoff
@Marc Banka
@Phil Hamel
@Tom Gall

Thank you very much for your opinions gentlemen.

A little background: I've been doing the squared edge for quite a few years now, and I can't think of ever doing the rounded edge until recently.....as there have been a few in the past couple months. I had seen some bowls and platters done by some noted turners that had the rounded edge, and thought I might try to do that, too.

I am leaning towards the majority opinion here that there might be a conflict of design by my using the rounded edge with my usual "squarish" design components. These components have taken me many years to evolve to what they are now. Nevertheless, I may occasionally use the rounded edge.....just to add something different from time to time.....but, continue using the squared edge as my more often used shape. I'm betting, since I seem to be getting some amount of approval on the rounded edge, there will be others who might favor it.....we'll see.....but, as yet, I don't have a single rounded edge bowl in the marketplace.....yet!

Again, thanks......and, I appreciate your taking the time to give your thoughts here....... :)

-o-

These are two different bowls. The cove on the second bowl creates a corner of sorts, which the square treatment mirrors along with the square outer rim. The first bowl has a bead instead of a cove. A slightly more feminine look, which goes well with the rounded rim. Perhaps softening the corners on the outer rim would make it more cohesive?

I quoted that comment about rear ends and every one has one, and my dad, not losing a second said, "yea, and some of them stink!". I am fashionably unconscious, but do like the square/flat rimmed bowl better.

Gary, that is an interesting detail in the transition area of your bowl. Skew chisel?

robo hippy

Odie-I agree with the others that the squared edge is a more precise transition, and is more in keeping with your other sylistic elements. I am not in your league, but I have been making some sort of "flying saucer" bowls lately like this one in curly ambrosia maple, and thought to define my curved rim on both sides with a bead that is flat on the side that recurves a bit inward.
Ambrosia Maple Curly Flying Saucer Bowl.jpg

I quoted that comment about rear ends and every one has one, and my dad, not losing a second said, "yea, and some of them stink!". I am fashionably unconscious, but do like the square/flat rimmed bowl better.

Gary, that is an interesting detail in the transition area of your bowl. Skew chisel?

robo hippy
Actually did it with my 40/40 grind gouge. I cut the outer profile while it was still on the faceplate, before it was turned around on the chuck. Then I finished up the hollowing on the chuck and flattened the inside bottom. Kinda accidental defined detail.

I am leaning towards the majority opinion here
the turner I bought my lathe from gave me 30 or so years of Woodturning magazine. Don’t know if they are available online but there’s a great article from Jan 2010 by Michael O’Donnell called “Around the rim” that looks at a wide range of rims and their aesthetics. I’d be happy to photocopy and mail it to anyone interested.

Attached is one page—don’t want to infringe on any copyrights by picturing entire article.

IMG_3657.jpeg

First one blew up when I got wall too thin. Finally figured out how to get that starburst pattern. First time I’ve ever turned the inside before the outside. This one is for a cancer charity auction. Crazy tear out in this end grain piece—sanded forever. 13 inch diameter, Norfolk Island pine, one coat Tung oil. IMG_3698.jpegIMG_3697.jpeg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Olivewood last evening.
Couple 90° inside corners. Can be done with super sharp tools, and the right technique.
This one has my typical squared surface separating the interior from the exterior.
Small, but nice figure:

-o-

20231016_222751.jpg 20231016_222800.jpg

Local Landscaper came over and asked if I was interesting in any chestnut wood. He even brought the tractor over and delivered it in the driveway. Around 8 feet long 36 inch diameter.
That does look like Horse Chestnut, (aka Buckeye) I only turned that a couple times, plain wood without the coloration of the defects in it.

Dries easily and is quite nice but plain wood.

Last edited:
Was out doing other stuff today so didn't get to do much. Decided I would break out the broom and clean up. Found this chunk of walnut in the chip pile and decided to try to make it something instead of a burn pile item. It does still have a crack in it.
IMG_6333.jpgIMG_6336.jpg

Last edited:
Back