• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Attempted my first lidded calabash. I missed the mark a bit—came in just a little bit far at the rim. I suppose it’s more of a lidded bag of sand haha. The lid is a little bit too chunky as well. Regardless, it’s still a cool little Black Cherry box, and I think my wife will be okay with it as a gift. I’m happy to get the box practice. Can’t complain about turning time :).

671972CD-0954-4600-845B-7D37AEE535C6.jpeg
7B08B23D-91B0-48E9-B764-C9566611E2C4.jpeg
4C0B0305-8714-429C-BB45-0C71AB131D9F.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I did remove the tenon and finished the bottom about a week ago, the picture shows the plugged holes, been debating with myself of maybe making a dark ring where the plus are now, then again maybe not, it is part of the bowl's history :confused:.
Tough choice. My two cents, it looks pretty nice as is. And, I like the idea of the plugs being part of the bowl's history :)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Vince, that is awesome! I love sauerkraut, but have never made it. I think I need to now (if only for an excuse to make one of these!)

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Vince, that is awesome! I love sauerkraut, but have never made it. I think I need to now (if only for an excuse to make one of these!)
That's easy enough.. biggest expense (one time, usually) would be the stoneware crock for it (With the weighted lid) after that it's as much cabbage as you can manage, and If you want to do a lot, a big mandolin slicer - usually done in early fall while temps are not too cold, not too hot (70's) - shred your cabbage, make a layer (about an inch thick) in bottom of crock, sprinkle on a layer of canning salt (It helps bring the juices out of the cabbage) and then your cabbage masher (Mine was basically a 4 inch thick bat with a waffled plate bolted to it much like a meat tenderizer hammer bat of course turned out of a 40" long ash branch, it has since split so I gotta make a new one for next year when we plan to make more.. our cabbage crop didn't survive this summer, unfortunately.) Then work the layer of cabbage til it's well juiced, add another layer of cabbage , repeat , until crock is nearly full, then wrap your weighted lid in saran wrap or a clean unscented trash bag and lay it on top (to keep your kraut submerged) and set it aside for a few weeks to ferment.. it's done when it starts to have the taste & texture you like. Some traditionally add (I forget the name, something like caraway seed?) seeds to the batch for flavor, but I dislike it myself, so I go with plain old unseeded kraut. Still have a couple pounds in the freezer from 2020, we love pork & sauerkraut in the crock pot. Or if you wanna practice a small batch you can do your own kraut in a quart jar (or gallon jar) - plenty of recipes on a google search...

That's easy enough.. biggest expense (one time, usually) would be the stoneware crock for it (With the weighted lid) after that it's as much cabbage as you can manage, and If you want to do a lot, a big mandolin slicer - usually done in early fall while temps are not too cold, not too hot (70's) - shred your cabbage, make a layer (about an inch thick) in bottom of crock, sprinkle on a layer of canning salt (It helps bring the juices out of the cabbage) and then your cabbage masher (Mine was basically a 4 inch thick bat with a waffled plate bolted to it much like a meat tenderizer hammer bat of course turned out of a 40" long ash branch, it has since split so I gotta make a new one for next year when we plan to make more.. our cabbage crop didn't survive this summer, unfortunately.) Then work the layer of cabbage til it's well juiced, add another layer of cabbage , repeat , until crock is nearly full, then wrap your weighted lid in saran wrap or a clean unscented trash bag and lay it on top (to keep your kraut submerged) and set it aside for a few weeks to ferment.. it's done when it starts to have the taste & texture you like. Some traditionally add (I forget the name, something like caraway seed?) seeds to the batch for flavor, but I dislike it myself, so I go with plain old unseeded kraut. Still have a couple pounds in the freezer from 2020, we love pork & sauerkraut in the crock pot. Or if you wanna practice a small batch you can do your own kraut in a quart jar (or gallon jar) - plenty of recipes on a google search...
I always thought it was made with vinegar but it must be the fermentation process that gives it that flavor to me.

Good Dutch Sauerkraut recipe, as the Dutch sailors brought it to Europe, used to prevent scurvy on their long voyages from China, plus some added extras added, use a impervious container.

We make it pretty much the same as Brian described except for the weight on top we use a doubled up plastic bag, put it in the crock and pull the bag over the sides of the crock, put a few inches of water in the bag for weight. No smell this way because water pushes the bag against crock wall and seals it. We usually make it mid October and it's ready for new years. We keep it in the basement where it's about 65 degrees. About mid March I clean out the crock and freeze it.

Here is one for the "You probably can but should you" file. I needed a bushing to mount a leather wheel on the Sorby Pro-Edge. 7/16 ID 1/2 OD x 3/4 long.

Turned from an aluminium spacer that I had on hand. Used #3 Hunter carbide in sheer scrape orientation at 1700rpm to do the turning. Chuck in tailstock with drill to form the ID.

Works like a champ. The green stuff is an abrasive dressing on the leather wheel. Takes the edge from scary sharp to don't look at it wrong.

20230921_092954.jpg 20230921_093550.jpg 20230921_094510.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I had two bowls on my lathe yesterday.....

Finished off a Claro Walnut burl bowl from Oregon, and started a spalted hackberry bowl......

-o-

20230920_220341.jpg 20230920_220407.jpg 20230920_220426.jpg

I've been practicing hollowing after taking a class (and turning my first hollow form!) a few weeks ago with David Ellsworth. Pictured is a small piece of sapele from a short board I found in the cutoff discount bin. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to turn since the class, but my comfort and confidence at the lathe has improved dramatically. IMG_9008.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The Missouri spalted Hackberry bowl was finished off last night.....except for the foot. It's now in the queue with 11 other bowls in various stages of completion. After the D.O. is fully cured, and inspection #2 is completed, it goes back to the lathe, and the foot will be turned. The 3rd inspection will be done just prior to the Beall 3-step buffing process. Then it'll go through a photo session, and offered for sale in my online shop ....:)

-o-

20230921_232018.jpg 20230921_232026.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Until then.... Bang.......Bang...... (little more rpms) bang. bang.

I use a cove cut with a gouge to smooth corners. No Bang… Bang
Christian Burchard taught me this last century. so smooth on uneven interrupted cuts.
No tool bounce. No wear and tear on the body. No “Bang”

I set the tool rest so the gouge is cutting at center with the tool level to the floor.
Front arm straight (right for me) tool handle held at the top of my thigh with left arm straight. Makes an A frame or triangle.
Put tool on the rest flute angled up slightly.
Turn body at the waste to make the cut. Take tiny cuts at first.
Clip from this demo you see the wide shot on a fairly round blank
trim.D2334D53-C184-4B2D-AC1C-C482BCD8C317.gif

Here is a way out of balance crotch bottom angled to make the 3 rims in alignment.
IMG_0492.jpeg

Here is the “bangles” cove cut
trim.39D66FB6-7E7D-4659-9C25-AD2FEC92B177.gif

Last allowed photo shows the cove cut on the high side. Just getting a cut on the other side with the two limbs
Quite a smooth surface because it a bevel riding cut with the cut supported b6 longer fibers behind the ones being cut( downhill)
IMG_0493.jpeg

One final note be mindful of not getting carried away with the cove cut. It’s fun to do but it is where I like the wide part of the bowl so stop the cove when it gets round.

Last edited:
Had a contest with myself earlier (notice I was careful in my choice of words) trying to get the longest curl out of my FOTP wood. I'm guessing poplar because of the green cast but it turned nice whatever it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_171350788.jpg
    IMG_20230922_171350788.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230922_170842132.jpg
    IMG_20230922_170842132.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230922_170836880.jpg
    IMG_20230922_170836880.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 26
Had a contest with myself earlier (notice I was careful in my choice of words) trying to get the longest curl out of my FOTP wood. I'm guessing poplar because of the green cast but it turned nice whatever it is.
This is OK as long as you don't talk to yourself during the competition. :D

I didn't take any pics of the start as I wasn't sure if it would work. I started with 2 1x2 pieces of maple that I sandwiched around two pieces of walnut. I left the handle part unglued so I could turn the scoop part on the outside enough to make it round and fit my small chuck. Once turned I glued in the handle portion and fitted it to the outside dimensions. Mounted it in the chuck and turned out the center.
After that I mounted the handle blanks and turned it as seen in the pics. Hope that explains it enough. If not I can take pics when I try again.

I didn't take any pics of the start as I wasn't sure if it would work. I started with 2 1x2 pieces of maple that I sandwiched around two pieces of walnut. I left the handle part unglued so I could turn the scoop part on the outside enough to make it round and fit my small chuck. Once turned I glued in the handle portion and fitted it to the outside dimensions. Mounted it in the chuck and turned out the center.
After that I mounted the handle blanks and turned it as seen in the pics. Hope that explains it enough. If not I can take pics when I try again.
so the two pieces of walnut were one for the bowl sandwich and then the other was the handle and then you assembled it for the final turn in the second picture?

Correct.
I glued in the handle piece after it was fitted to the now round outside bowl section. I mounted it in the chuck and turned the inside once everything was glued up.

Back