• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Finishing up a cherry bowl with Tried and True, approx 9x4.5"

Cherry bowl, still mounted on a lathe
Cherry bowl on a small table

Spent some time with "Army of Angry Beavers" a.k.a (D-way 3/4" irish grind gouge) this morning and roughed out a large pecan blank that needed quite a bit of material removed due to the wavy exterior of the tree. I'm convinced that if I had no limitation on available torque I could take an 1" off the diameter in a single pass with this tool.

Each to his own!

I had one of those 3/4" D-way BGs and no matter how I ground the bevel on its flute profile we never became compatible, so I passed it on to someone who appreciated it more than me. I get on much better with the D-way 5/8" and 1/2" BGs.

I found the Woodcut and Thompson BGs more to my liking in the 3/4" size and for for the largest green work the Crown 7/8" and 1" BGs come into action. The 1-1/4" P&N can also comes into play for facing off (not endgrain areas) on larger platters, although I don't do much of that larger stuff nowadays.

The obligatory photos, a few 20" platters...

Camphor Laurel, front and back
IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

This one is Australian Red Cedar
from 120yr old bench top
Oz Red Cedar 1 -.JPG

A few pre-turned Cypress/Pine
20230813_114731.jpg

Each to his own!

I had one of those 3/4" D-way BGs and no matter how I ground the bevel on its flute profile we never became compatible, so I passed it on to someone who appreciated it more than me. I get on much better with the D-way 5/8" and 1/2" BGs.

I found the Woodcut and Thompson BGs more to my liking in the 3/4" size and for for the largest green work the Crown 7/8" and 1" BGs come into action. The 1-1/4" P&N can also comes into play for facing off (not endgrain areas) on larger platters, although I don't do much of that larger stuff nowadays.

Very nice work Neil! I put a 30` wing angle on that gouge. Sharp side edges are about 1 1/4 inches long on each side. Really really swept back.

I don't get a chance to use it all that often, just roughing larger green stuff. It will definitely move some wood. Like you I use 5/8" most often when roughing.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I just did this as I worked the tenon off and tried to get too fancy
You ain't the first, and most certainly not the last.... I have a couple of those under my belt, first one when turning the inside and mis-judging my bottom.. second one when turning off the tenon and getting a bit TOO concave.. both really good learning experiences.

I have several - I am thinking of turning a few small buttons or embellished medallions to insert in those cases where I turn them so thin that ‘the air shows through’

I have several - I am thinking of turning a few small buttons or embellished medallions to insert in those cases where I turn them so thin that ‘the air shows through’
I remember that Johnny Tolley re-cut the exterior area . He put walnut slices in the bottom and poured clear resin in the interior and reshaped. I couldn't figure out how to explain correctly. You might contact him. He's a good guy and turner.

Played with a piece of pine to start.
IMG_5601.JPG
Then I grabbed a chunk of Walnut.
IMG_5604.JPG
Wanted to try and turn a larger Calabash than last time.
IMG_5602.JPG

Added a witch's hat to the pumpkin but forgot to grab a pic.

I put a 30° wing angle on that gouge. Sharp side edges are about 1 1/4 inches long on each side. Really really swept back.

Monty, I've noted the grind that you have adopted for that 3/4" D-way.

Thank you for sharing.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Roughing out an Osage Orange calabash. The block was very old and very dry, and of course turned crayon yellow when I cut beneath the surface. It’s a shame the color doesn’t stick around. I originally wanted to make a full-bodied calabash, and treat the crack with butterflies; however the edges of the crack were kind of ragged, and would have made the rim not so nice. That said, I cut it down considerably and am making more of a low-sided calabash, a la this month’s challenge. Should be nice whenever I finish turn.

FE656B94-8B7F-4F63-9F6C-7EF3EF7BB5DB.jpeg

Last edited:
In process but wood differences are significant View attachment 55454View attachment 55455
That does not look like the same bowl as the one you showed with the hole. The method I was recommending would be to flatten the entire bottom then glue on another flat board thick enough to make a new tenon plus the desired foot then mount it on the new tenon, refinish the inside, hold it with whatever you had used to turn off the old tenon, turn off the new tenon and turn the new foot. Trying to match the new wood to the old might not be possible so a contrasting wood/color could be tried.

Experiment # who knows what.... General Arm R seal on the outside and Howards butcher block conditioner inside. Then I cheaped out on the dye. lol RIT, but they have a lot of colors and their site says can be used for wood. This one is called tangerine. Spot on the rim is light reflection.

Ash 13" x 4"
Pandering for the fall festival coming up next month.

Attachments

• IMG_20230906_130148071.jpg
    IMG_20230906_130148071.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 35
Experiment # who knows what.... General Arm R seal on the outside and Howards butcher block conditioner inside. Then I cheaped out on the dye. lol RIT, but they have a lot of colors and their site says can be used for wood. This one is called tangerine. Spot on the rim is light reflection.

Ash 13" x 4"
Pandering for the fall festival coming up next month.
Sam-I like how you are always experimenting. I've got a whole range of Chestnut spirit stains, and I'm long overdue to stain the next uninteresting (i.e.pale, very little figure) blank to cross my lathe.

Sam-I like how you are always experimenting. I've got a whole range of Chestnut spirit stains, and I'm long overdue to stain the next uninteresting (i.e.pale, very little figure) blank to cross my lathe.
I figure the rit dye was under $5 a bottle so if I end up not using it I won't care.
Kind of irrelevant though because it was another one of those deals where I told my sister she could pick the color and I knew this would happen when she showed up with all the colors dick blick (art supply store) had!

Finally finished the steins for my nephews. The ones on the ends are for my nephews. I thought while I was turning those two steins that I had enough wood to turn a 3rd one., the zebra wood and walnut, for my wife and that turning 3 of them was just as easy as turning 2. Now whole family has their own steins, most of the with different woods and patterns.

PXL_20230904_232654604.jpg

Mini mini Monkey Puzzle [Araucaria araucana] tree bowl finished in Tried & True Original. Used most of the wood a friend gave me for pens. For some reason the knots in this wood will stay complete, few if any cracks, chunks out or usual issues when turning bowls or pen blanks with knots. Beautiful reddish coloured knot with lightish centres.

Attachments

• side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 23
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 23
Larry,
My mentor has spent many years developing creative methods to do ‘incising’ as he calls the cuts.
A pivot on the ways holds steel bars off of which a router gets mounted. An arm then gets connected to an index wheel mounted behind the chuck such that as the router cuts into the piece the whole piece gets rotated.

I am hoping to have a display of a number of my projects created during my apprenticeship at the Mid-Atlantic Woodturners Symposium Sept 22-24th in the Instant Gallery.

Black Cherry doesn't grow anywhere near where I live so anytime I get a chance to turn some I take it. This is a 16" shallow bowl I'm working on from a cherry burl "cookie". So it has grain going every which way and a lot of cracks that I'll have to work on. I already screwed up and tried using CA in some of the endgrain so I'll have to fix that somehow.

Attachments

• Cherry wip.jpg
    Cherry wip.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 28
Back