• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I just use small scraps of plywood with a finish nail driven through them. 3 pieces gives you a 3-point stance so as to not have much in the way of wobble, they are easy and quick (and very cheap) to make as many as you like..... for smaller bowls, a larger scrap with 3 nails driven through it would serve the purpose nicely, I imagine.
I’d recommend blunting the nails first. I’ve not used this methods for turnings, but I used to for flatwork. That said, the nails almost always left a mark albeit minute.

I've read you mention the three pencils before, can I get a description or pic? I was wondering if you just lay them horizontally or have them oriented straight up some way for smallest contact? The inquiring mind wants to know!

Plus I picked up a bunch of 2 foot by 1/4" x 1/4" craft (sticks?) the other day and was thinking of devising something with them to hold a bowl up while it dries. I have some of the puck things from rockler but they are too big to get three of them under a smaller bowl to make a sturdy base.
Sam I lay the pencils flat/horizontal, it is a very thin/narrow contact on the bowl, I don't have to set the turning exactly on the pencils as they are long enough tho have the piece sit safely on it.

Usually right side up first, but also like here in the pic.

As I do check at least once for bleed back, any mark will be wiped off, I have been doing this for a long time and never had a problem with it.

pencils for curing the finish.jpg

I’ve used these before. Mending plates from the big box stores. They come in a couple of sizes. Actually put a couple on a piece of ply mounted to a lazy Susan bearing.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 17

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hey Phil, that’s a pretty cool lighthouse with some crisp lines. I’m about 99.99% sure that is some sort of red oak. Ash has a similar open grain, but doesn’t have rays. Regardless, nice use for a little limb!

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
First time back on the lathe in almost a month. Just for a minor thing—turning off the tenon and shaping the foot on this Black Cherry calabash. I usually prefer a footless bowl, but I’m this case giving the bowl a little lift will enhance the form. Anyway…glad to be back to turning, albeit just for a short time today. I’m going to finish this bowl and post it to the gallery today or tomorrow.

8FC7E8F0-0A98-421F-8160-433C0D675E94.jpeg

Michael - nice bowl - love the texture - seems like you've been using your time wisely.
As for the foot - I'm a foot guy, so take this a grain of salt - it will enhance this form. It may be the angle, but it looks more like a closed form than a calabash to me, but I'm from a different set of islands. My bowls are very often shallow, open forms that present the contents and require a foot to anchor the bowl to the surface. Otherwise they want to float off and hover around the room. To me, most bowls without a foot look like they're stuck down by their own weight.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Different set of islands, I like that. Thanks for the commentary Jeff. I totally agree with you about the purpose of a foot and how it can enhance certain forms. Especially open forms. I usually include a foot when appropriate—have a whole stack of footed bowls that are just waiting to be finish sanded. I suppose I should have clarified—I tend to like a footless bowl because I prefer to turn calabashes if I’m making a bowl. To me, with those types of bowls, a foot interrupts the continuous curve. I also tend to like the wobbly interactivity of a round-bottomed form. I also connect with keeping it as traditional (in form) as possible. That said, I do also like embellishing/texturing the surface, and there’s certainly a little bit of personal preference at play :).

I think the cell phone image somewhat distorts the shape of bowl above. Aside from the added foot, I tried to stick to a traditional shape. I could have come in just a little bit more at the rim though. Here is a profile shot (still taken on my phone though):

5D2560B6-FBF3-45B3-BEF1-D0D6CB41496C.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
@Larry Mercier glad to be somewhat back in action!

@Doug Freeman thanks, and I agree. I did intentionally leave the subtle re-curve at the rim, but if I would have come in a bit more it would be enhanced. For the texture I used a flat, pointed woodburning tip. I burned the surface with an upward stabbing motion, and occasionally dragged it downward to make short fine lines. Here is the tip:

0E93EB53-C06F-4B65-8AAA-226CA9D90FFA.jpeg
3796C13B-7935-4286-AED6-3F2843C9E520.jpeg

When you talk Calabash it depends on who you are talking to in Hawaii. Pat Kramer has a much different take on shape than say Kelly Dunn and Kelly Dunn may differ from Andy Cole. I myself am fine with your piece being a Calabash Michael.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
When you talk Calabash it depends on who you are talking to in Hawaii.
Thanks Bill. Funny you mention that—I almost said something along the lines of “this might be called a Pat Kramer style calabash”.

@Michael Anderson Nice bowl indeed sir! The texturing is great.
Thanks Paul! I had to take a little mental break from the SWT challenge haha

That satisfying feeling when you are sure your train wreck is going to stay that way but it ends up being ok, not great but ok.
Another that ended up being so thin walled that I hope it doesn't get dropped.

It's deeper than it looks maybe 3-3.5 inches if you count the base I left on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_203700456_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230712_203700456_HDR.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 56

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hey Sam, pretty nice piece. Looks big—what’s the diameter? I really like the red rim. Though, I think the filled cracks would look a heck of a lot better if you would have cleaned them out beforehand with a file/knife. If they were a little bit more carefully filled, the whole piece would be SO good. Cleaning them out beforehand would also mitigate some the air bubbles. Regardless of all that, it’s pretty sweet!

Hey Sam, pretty nice piece. Looks big—what’s the diameter? I really like the red rim. Though, I think the filled cracks would look a heck of a lot better if you would have cleaned them out beforehand with a file/knife. If they were a little bit more carefully filled, the whole piece would be SO good. Cleaning them out beforehand would also mitigate some the air bubbles. Regardless of all that, it’s pretty sweet!
Ya, Like I said this was a train wreck, I could have filled those holes but the way they ended up to me it looks like what a geode looks like so I left it. I could still go back and fill them but I liked it like that. There's quite a few things wrong with the bowl I feel so the holes filled aren't going to help the overall quality in person. It's 13.5 x 4 inches.

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
Michael-how are you a staff member and moderator now?!! Pretty cool!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Michael-how are you a staff member and moderator now?!! Pretty cool!

I gave a generous donation to AAW…kidding, kidding. :p

This is just related to the upcoming forum swap. We’re going to create a specific swap forum instead of keeping everything together in one thread. Big things ahead—stay tuned!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I gave a generous donation to AAW…
“Many a true word hath been spoken in jest.”
— William Shakespeare

Your time is valuable. AAW only exists through the generous donation of time by members like you.
Thank you.

Experimenting today with a small piece of Big Leaf Maple. Wanted to see what it would look like with an un round look on 2 sides and some bark left on. After finishing the bottom on the lathe will use my belt/disk sander on the sides. Is this type of turning worth doing?

Attachments

• side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 41
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 41

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
White oak y with some flame. Once turned 1/4" wall, burnt rim, let it dry then sanded and has one coat of danish oil.
Absolutely beautiful bowl, Vince! Can’t wait to see the final product after you put the additional coats of DO on. Be sure to post it to the gallery so it gets the views it deserves. :)

Is this type of turning worth doing?
100% yes. Very cool piece there Frank. The bark on the top adds a lot of interesting color and texture contrast. Looks great!

I finished that live edge maple bowl that I took home as an extra blank from last Saturday's "Two Bowls from One Log" class taught by Thom Crothers at our Carolina Mountain Woodturners Turning and Learning Center. As this was my 1st real live-edge, I learned a LOT that I hope to put to use on a much larger weeping cherry blank that is standing beside my lathe waiting for me to work up the nerve. I'm not sure I'm a hundred percent happy with my curves on this one. But I love this style, and the added bonus is that it is forcing me to make immaculate entry cuts, stay laser-focused, and exercise precise tool and bevel control when making the interrupted cuts down into the wings, all skills I am working on. Unlike curly or ambrosia maple, this piece is rather vanilla, so I elected to use TruOil to jazz up the finish a bit. It probably also has about 10 bucks worth of Starbond around the edge in an attempt to hold the bark on. The learning continues...
Live Edge Maple Upward View Finished.jpgLive Edge Maple Side View Finished.jpgLive Edge Maple Oblique View Finished.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
It probably also has about 10 bucks worth of Starbond around the edge in an attempt to hold the bark on. The learning continues...
Tip: It helps a great deal for bark to stay on when the tree is harvested while dormant (Up here in the northeast, that's in winter time - after the leaves have fallen and weather turns cold - Cambium layer tightens up the bark to the tree then, so winter cut wood tends to keep bark on a lot better.) So, if you can, try and find out if the woods you pick up were harvested (or fallen) when dormant, those may have better success with doing bark edge pieces....

Quick attempt at the next challenge. Not sure if it's good enough to enter.
Doesn't matter as it states no posting anywhere else. Oops should have read the rules better!
emerge1.JPGemerge2.JPGemerge3.JPGemerge4.JPG

Last edited:
Well, not on my lathe at present. This was made in 1980, 43 years ago. After my stint in the marines, while stopping in for a while at my folks house, I bought a homemade lathe from a farmer. Made of angle iron and an old drill press quill. I got a machine shop to make an adapter to hold a faceplate. This was before woodworking chucks (not that I could afford anyway).
It’s a glue up of ten, or eleven 3/4 walnut pieces. I didnt have calipers and such, so I made templates for the interior and exterior. Turned all with scrapers, and then too much time sanding. Finished with linseed oil.
The fit of the lid isn’t perfect, I’d never read anything about making boxes, so the lid tenon etc. was made up. The wood was dry, so hasn’t moved much at all.

I like looking back, remembering who and what I was so long ago, how things have changed, and how they’ve stayed the same. After all this time, I’m glad to share it!DE7D9991-29CC-4845-8F48-F003E0B5D671.jpeg779D81C3-3E97-4629-9624-EABC67631AF7.jpegC1541BC9-F891-498D-8B79-FA0A26826272.jpeg

I took the offcut from the Norfolk Island pine and turned it into a bowl. At this point the sanding was mostly done and a coat of oil with a laquer spray. I’ll give it a day to dry then get it turned around on the vacuum chuck and finish the bottom.
View attachment 54010
Great piece. Love NIP. I’ve got a bowl on lathe now ready to part and bottom finish.

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpeg
    IMG_2447.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2448.jpeg
    IMG_2448.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 13
Back