• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

I absolutely did not know that. I’m surprised. Thanks.

From Cook Woods: Also known as Bay Laurel, California Olive, Pepper wood, or Spice tree, this versatile hardwood grows only in Oregon and Northernmost California.
Actually, it grows from about San Francisco up into British Columbia. Still the same tree. It is one that the higher grit you sand to, the more it glows. It does have an interlocking grain, and smells terrible if you burn it.

robo hippy

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Not on the lathe but working on some turquoise inlay on some mesquite hollow forms. Will be doing an inlay demo for my club in November. Rusty this thread you started is almost to 100 pages.

Attachments

• CFB7BAFF-6188-4648-8B69-A832ABBD99B2.jpeg
    CFB7BAFF-6188-4648-8B69-A832ABBD99B2.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2457.jpeg
    IMG_2457.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 9

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Utterly amazing Odie! Do you care to share where you bought that blank?
CSUSA about 10 years ago. There was a small inventory of these very intense Birdseye Maple bowl blanks that were available at that time, but sorry to say that the good stock is long sold out. Last time I ordered some, I returned them because they were very sparce of the eyes. I haven't been able to locate any more like this since then.

-o-

Website
www.ovwg.org
CSUSA about 10 years ago. There was a small inventory of these very intense Birdseye Maple bowl blanks that were available at that time, but sorry to say that the good stock is long sold out. Last time I ordered some, I returned them because they were very sparce of the eyes. I haven't been able to locate any more like this since then.

-o-
Ah yes, I ordered some of those last year and the eyes were not too intense. It still made a nice platter though.....here it is

Birdseye Maple Platter .JPGBirdseye Maple Platter Back View.JPG

The Australian brown Mallee burl was finished last night, other than it's still on the waste block waiting to have the foot done. The foot will be done in about 2 weeks time. The Danish oil has just been applied in these two photos......I came in from the shop past 1am last night.....which is pretty much normal for me! :)

The third photo is of my current stash being seasoned and waste blocks applied.....

View attachment 50165 View attachment 50166 View attachment 50167

-----odie-----
Nice. How do you make the small grooves?

I was working with some cherry that I was given more than a year ago and was not able to use it until now.
This piece was quite dry already and as I was starting to turn the inside to a wall thickness of about 3/16" (4.8MM) I heard a snap and a crack appeared. After completing the inside I sprayed a thin coat of shellac around the crack on both sides, then when that was dry I spread the crack open, put some Titebond in there and put 4 quick clamps to hold the crack together. After about 45 minutes the clamps came off and the bowl and clamps fell on the floor, but the bowl survived and the crack stayed closed. The photos on the left show the out side after sanding with an RO and the inside before sanding. The right hand photo is the area of the crack on the inside with a fresh application of DO.
IMG_1054.jpgIMG_1056.jpgIMG_1055.jpg

Kevin Jesequel

TOTW Team
Beech is scarce here in the PNW. A few months ago I lucked out when I went to the yard waste dump and found a round of freshly cut beech (there were several, but I only grabbed one 🤦‍♂️). I finally cut into it today after having it in a bag since I brought it home. It isn’t crazy spalted, but has some nice color. This was an off cut from processing today.

Attachments

• IMG_3590.jpeg
    IMG_3590.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 21

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Beautiful wood, I need to get me some of that 😁. Going to have to walk the woods before the leaves fall!

This stuff spalts really easily. Sugarberry is a related but separate species from hackberry. The wood is virtually identical. It's fairly identifiable by it's knobby (sometimes warty) bark.

It looks like you are about 6 hours from me. Not exactly close, but not terribly far. Come and get some if you like.

This stuff spalts really easily. Sugarberry is a related but separate species from hackberry. The wood is virtually identical. It's fairly identifiable by it's knobby (sometimes warty) bark.

It looks like you are about 6 hours from me. Not exactly close, but not terribly far. Come and get some if you like.
Would love to but so busy right now I barely have time to eat😂

Last edited:
I got some fresh cut beech once, from down by Roseburg, and every thing cracked, badly. Later heard that is typical for beech. Hope you have better luck!

robo hippy

Back