• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Karl Hansen for "Untitled Basket Illusion" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 7, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Looks good, Phil. I imagine the big platter was a bit of a departure from the smaller things you have been turning.

Thanks. Yes quite the difference. A lot of work for my little Jet. I am in the beginning stage of looking for an upgrade.

Very quick set of goblets I turned at school. It's Monday, and I didn't have a plan for my two independent shop classes, so I turned some miniature goblets. The woods from left to right are Mahogany, purpleheart, hard maple, something labeled "fruitwood CA" (not sure what species, seems to be very hard, fine-grained, and gray-red), and a No. 2 Pencil. This scale is fun because it is so large compared to my usual, that I could experiment more with the shape and form. No sanding.IMG_4644.jpg

Kent great looking NEB in walnut. Are they twice turned? Just wondering how to keep the bark on. I have a ton of walnut that's been sitting for a year outside in log form but finding the bark is ready to fall off. Would take a lot of CA glue in order to keep in on.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Kent great looking NEB in walnut. Are they twice turned? Just wondering how to keep the bark on. I have a ton of walnut that's been sitting for a year outside in log form but finding the bark is ready to fall off. Would take a lot of CA glue in order to keep in on.
Logs that sit out in weather are definitely gonna lose bark any way - I find the best bark-keepers are the trees harvested while dormant (Winter time for deciduous) and then either turned immediately (or relatively so) after which you can decide to once or twice turn (I've done it both ways) Sitting outdoors, bark is going to rapidly absorb and lose moisture, and as it does so it separates from the log.

Otherwise, personally I would not bother keeping bark on (and in some cases I'll even pry it off, if the bark is excessively thick for the bowl's size, it looks disproportionate) and just go with the natural edge barkless form. (but then I'm too cheap to waste money on epoxies and CA glues to "save" bark, or knotholes, or cracks..)

It is too late to keep the bark on, like you say you can,t put enough CA to hold it plus you could never get it to stay on to turn it. The best way I have found is turn it before it gets a chance to start drying then you will not need any CA.
The first picture is a bowl turned from fresh cut healthy tree, which means that the bark is still naturally attached and the sap wood will also stay whiter.
The second one from the same tree had a small area where the bark had not loosened and the sap wood was still white. The remaining 3/4ths of the edge the bark was falling off long before the turning was complete and the sap wood was darkening.
20027BowlT.jpg
23042WalnutBowl1.JPG

The NE bowls are once-turned. Waiting on them to dry now. They started at about 20% MC.

As for the bark, I understand that trees cut down in the winter will hold their bark better. This one I cut down in April but the bark is pretty well attached. On the first one, I used thin CA on the bark. On the second one, I didn't use CA at all. I turn the rim from the top down, maybe 2". It's an unsupported grain cut, but it helps not to knock bark off.

Last edited:
I’ve been offline for 15 days due to the hurricane but we finally had our internet and cable service returned today. Still a lot of clean up to do. I was clearing some downed trees at my son’s house and salvaged a piece of apple wood I thought would make a good hollow form with voids in it.
Since I have never turned a hollow form with voids I thought it would be a great learning experience and could fill some of the bug/worm holes with turquoise, agin something I’ve never done.
Once I started turning I decided there were too many bug holes to fill😁, so I decided to seek how thin I could go. The bow is maybe too thin now, doesn’t look that great but I will finish it soon. Great learning experience.

1728687407922.jpeg
1728687371136.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been offline for 15 days due to the hurricane but we finally had our internet and cable service returned today. Still a lot of clean up to do. I was clearing some downed trees at my son’s house and salvaged a piece of apple wood I thought would make a good hollow form with voids in it.
Since I have never turned a hollow form with voids I thought it would be a great learning experience and could fill some of the bug/worm holes with turquoise, agin something I’ve never done.
Once I started turning I decided there were too many bug holes to fill😁, so I decided to seek how thin I could go. The bow is maybe too thin now, doesn’t look that great but I will finish it soon. Great learning experience.

View attachment 67551
View attachment 67550
great to see you are hollowing smooth and even and not to have to stop to evacuate chips while turning.

Last edited:
Here is the latest update on the box collection. (All turned and made by me)

View attachment 67568

That's an impressive collection. While I like doing boxes, I like to do other things as well. I just pulled this one off today. I made the ring holder back in August and fitted it to the base today. The base is just under 3 1/4" in diameter and 2" tall.

Attachments

• 20241012_163443.jpg
    20241012_163443.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20241012_163421.jpg
    20241012_163421.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 15
I volunteered to help turn a few bowls that will be auctioned off to raise money for western NC turners and artist who lost their work and equipment during the hurricane. An individual is gathering pieces of wood from downed trees and asking for help turning some bowls. I turned two maples today and will turn two chestnut bowls tomorrow. Supposed to pick up a cherry burl next week.
This will take several months for the bowls to be ready for the auction so I’m donating 20% of my gallery sales and 25% of my show sales to help local artist. I think the Asheville NC AAW Turning Club was hit pretty hard.
1728773703803.jpeg

1728773648438.jpeg

Website
jpseyfried.com
Just off the lathe. A little practice making an ornament. This is Maple burl and Ebony about 8 1/2" x 3". I was curious how much it weighed. I never weighed one before so don't know how it compares, but seems rather light.

ornament682.jpg

Yesterday I finished turned this Cherry salad bowl. It is about 12 1/2" x 5".

cherrybowl693.jpg

cherrybowl695.jpg

3 hours sanding?? That's a long time, was there a lot of tear out or was the piece unbalanced that it could not be sanded normally? I am just asking......not judging
The walls are about an eighth inch thick and in one spot it is basically a veneer thickness. This was my first time trying a bowl like this, I usually don't turn green wood and not this thin. I don't trust putting it back on the lathe. Spent too long trying to do it by hand with too high of a grit. Ran out of 80 grit sheets so I used 120 for a while until I decided to hunt down my missing sanding discs for my drill. I knew I put them somewhere safe but haven't had to use them for a couple years.

Back