• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Liked the blue unfortunately some stray sunlight hit it and caused scratches that really showed when I put the blue on. So before I got it off the lathe to work on the porcine anatomy looking thing that's on there now it changed into what's sitting on my saw.

Attachments

• PXL_20240728_040256567.jpg
    PXL_20240728_040256567.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240731_222235896.jpg
    PXL_20240731_222235896.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240731_222204717.jpg
    PXL_20240731_222204717.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 45

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Finish turning a swamp Kauri bowl. Will be 9.5”d x ~3.5”h when complete. A turner sent me a blank from New Zealand and challenged me to mimic a smaller bowl he made. Fun! This is quite a challenging timber to turn. It is extremely soft, very stringy, and dulls tools quickly. The reward is fairly intense chatoyancy and a rich color.
Three months later and I'm still working on this swamp Kauri bowl. Following the second turning mentioned above, I had to deal with some cracks. I added 13 total pewa, 3 of which are on the rim. After adding the pewa, I set it aside to finish other projects and meet some deadlines. But the bowl kept staring at me, disappointed in my neglect. I put it back on the lathe the other day and began sanding. There are definitely some visible sanding marks in the interior. I may or may not wet sand after this coat of oil dries. Likely not though. Today, I added the first coat of oil to the rim and interior. I will add oil to the exterior once I'm finished turning off the foot.

IMG_8786 copy.png

I'm trying out a new oil on this one. I did a demo a couple of weeks ago in Maryland, and a lot of the members there were raving about TY Oil. I had never heard of it, but apparently Mike Sorge uses and sells it. One of the club members was kind enough to give me a bottle to try out. It's a mixture of polymerized flaxseed (linseed) and shea nut oil. It darkened the wood, but not much, and dried quickly. I'll add another coat or two before the end. Here's a photo of the bottle:

IMG_8787 copy.png

Last edited:
Three months later and I'm still working on this swamp Kauri bowl. Following the second turning mentioned above, I had to deal with some cracks. I added 13 total pewa, 3 of which are on the rim. After adding the pewa, I set it aside to finish other projects and meet some deadlines. But the bowl kept staring at me, disappointed in my neglect. I put it back on the lathe the other day and began sanding. There are definitely some visible sanding marks in the interior. I may or may not wet sand after this coat of oil dries. Likely not though. Today, I added the first coat of oil to the rim and interior. I will add oil to the exterior once I'm finished turning off the foot.

View attachment 65441

I'm trying out a new oil on this one. I did a demo a couple of weeks ago in Maryland, and a lot of the members there were raving about TY Oil. I had never heard of it, but apparently Mike Sorge uses and sells it. One of the club members was kind enough to give me a bottle to try out. It's a mixture of polymerized flaxseed (linseed) and shea nut oil. It darkened the wood, but not much, and dried quickly. I'll add another coat or two before the end. Here's a photo of the bottle:

View attachment 65442
That’s. a nice bowl! I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks once you’re finished. From what I read it looks like a good product but couldn’t find anything on curing time.

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
That’s. a nice bowl! I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks once you’re finished. From what I red it looks like a good product but couldn’t find anything on curing time.
Thanks David! I’m curious as well. The guys that told me about it said they usually put a coat or two on and then wait a day and put another one on. Figured I would just treat it like Danish oil (Tried and True). I may finish it with varnish oil, given how soft the wood is. That should enhance the chatoyance a bit.

On Wednesday here in the MN Lakes area a sudden storm came up and I watched from the service door of my shop.
The first tree to come down was a dead popple tree that just missed my electric meters then I heard some cracking noises to the east of my house and the top of a white pine broke off. When the rain and wind let up I went out and looked around and found a jack pine fallen across my driveway and the top off of a red oak near the lake shore. On thursday I cleared the driveway and went to some forest land we own nearby and found a jack pine across the main trial and the top of a large birch blocking another trail. Today I turned a couple of items from the red oak.
IMG_0958.jpgIMG_0959.jpgIMG_0960.jpgIMG_0962.jpg
Notice the tannic acid stains on my fingers, when I purchased the property in 2001 there had never been anything built there and no fence lines.

I’m a few thousand miles away from my lathe, walking through Arlington Gardens in Pasadena. This Peruvian Pepper tree is healthy, but some day a hundred years from now a woodturner might have loads of fun!
Huntington Garden? They sometimes sell trees—friend of mine bought a few and had them craned in and transplanted.

also worked on this today—spalted jacaranda—I should call it “crackaranda,” since it almost split in half. I used 11 pewa. Filled other cracks with copper epoxy. Should have trashed it but daughter wants it since the tree came from the hospital grounds where she works. She has me making bowls that she gives to employees there.

Attachments

• IMG_7611.jpeg
    IMG_7611.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7610.jpeg
    IMG_7610.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 22

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
First piece of koa. What gorgeous wood. Cracks filled with copper epoxy and pewa.

Now with one coat tung oil—just had to see what it would look like. Needs more sanding—as usual.
Alan, your improvement in such a short period of time is highly commendable ... and you have a great attitude as well !!!
I assume you know that you just made your upcoming sanding session so much more difficult by adding the oil ... just because you "had to see what it would look like". 😇

Alan, your improvement in such a short period of time is highly commendable ... and you have a great attitude as well !!!
I assume you know that you just made your upcoming sanding session so much more difficult by adding the oil ... just because you "had to see what it would look like". 😇
Thanks. I’ll have to pay for my impatience!

Website
www.zargon.com
Rolling Pin for my niece. & a Cocobolo French pin for my sis-in-law.
They are both done & the Maple one has been delivered & I even got a “WOW!” Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6289.jpeg
    IMG_6289.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6305.jpeg
    IMG_6305.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 26
Nice boxes Isaac! I especially like the tan oak one. I’m not familiar with that wood, so had to look it up. Apparently it’s not a true Oak, but wow those rays!! Now I need to add another wood to the bucket list.
Thanks, Michael! I’d be happy to send you some blanks if you want.

The bowl swap last year was great! Bummed that I missed the box exchange this year. Saw the thread for the first time the day after the signup deadline! Oops

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks, Michael! I’d be happy to send you some blanks if you want.

The bowl swap last year was great! Bummed that I missed the box exchange this year. Saw the thread for the first time the day after the signup deadline! Oops
I definitely do! I’ll send you a message.

And thanks! Swaps are fun. No worries about missing this one. Next one will be October-November-ish. Be on the lookout!

Mini charger AKA paper plate holder.

10.5 x 1.5 walnut

I don't know why I do this to myself... This thing hasn't even been out in the sun and you can see the scratches. (sun causes them as I'm sure you all know);)

Attachments

• PXL_20240810_025201739.jpg
    PXL_20240810_025201739.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240810_025218596.jpg
    PXL_20240810_025218596.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 36

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I received this beautiful slightly spalted Mango blank from a friend a while ago. Finally got it on the lathe. It's only a couple of inches thick, so I mounted via a glue block preserve as much wood as possible. It's one of those"saving it for the right project" blanks. I'm excited for what it hopefully will become.

IMG_8885 copy.jpg

Back