• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

5 nails and a 6” x 9” walnut hollow form on the lathe😁. As soon as I heard the click I knew what it was, stopped and dug out 5 nails. Going to put the metal detector on the other half 😁.
View attachment 64987

View attachment 64986
View attachment 64985
David I have discovered Dissimilar material ;) in some of my turning wood, the worst was a large Sycamore I hauled home from he City wood dump, after some very special word for it, a lot of cussing and a tooth missing from the chainsaw chain I got it into two halfs and some extra very-hard-ware and some canvas that had grown in (someones shelter) I did turn the one halve, still have the other half, not the hard - ware ;-)Sycamore hard ware.jpg

David I have discovered Dissimilar material ;) in some of my turning wood, the worst was a large Sycamore I hauled home from he City wood dump, after some very special word for it, a lot of cussing and a tooth missing from the chainsaw chain I got it into two halfs and some extra very-hard-ware and some canvas that had grown in (someones shelter) I did turn the one halve, still have the other half, not the hard - ware ;-)View attachment 65038
Fortunately I missed them with the chainsaw.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Another Cottonwood burl last evening. Not tall, so I'll call it a platter.
It might sell if called a "collectible" plate..... :)

-o-
20240719_224859.jpg20240719_224913.jpg

It’s been a productive day today. Turned a 11”x5” hickory from a piece I got from a dead tree that I dropped yesterday. What started as a 11” basket illusion bowl turned into an 8” platter. Too thin by 1/64th I guess. Last I sanded and signed the bottom of my latest Apache basket illusion. Even managed to bush hog the back pasture!
813538EE-99AA-4068-8EFB-259960812019.jpeg

Speaking of different stuff on your lathe, here's a thinga-ma-jiggy made out of redwood? maybe? and it is for the top of that other watcha-ma-callit.

***EDIT***

And stick it all together you get a doo-hickie! (excuse messy shop, maid had the year off)

Attachments

• PXL_20240721_010254626.jpg
    PXL_20240721_010254626.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240721_010356386.jpg
    PXL_20240721_010356386.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240721_035442153.jpg
    PXL_20240721_035442153.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Made a bit of a score today. My brother called yesterday afternoon. A River Birch, red maple and a small chestnut on his place had to come down. Took a manageable amount and brought it to the “studio”. I’ve never turned River Birch so looked at “how to spalt”. It’s kind of like asking how to dry or what finish to use. If anyone has a sure fire way, I’m all ears. Made a good start roughing out the maple today.
2564F605-36DD-4752-82DA-74FE990848F8.jpeg33346453-D521-434B-B12B-6E10A2CF3FF6.jpeg

Made a bit of a score today. My brother called yesterday afternoon. A River Birch, red maple and a small chestnut on his place had to come down. Took a manageable amount and brought it to the “studio”. I’ve never turned River Birch so looked at “how to spalt”. It’s kind of like asking how to dry or what finish to use. If anyone has a sure fire way, I’m all ears. Made a good start roughing out the maple today.
My limited experience with both river and paper birch is that stopping them from spalting might be the problem. In addition, my experience has been that they went from fresh to spalted to punky quite quickly -- keep an eye on their condition.

My limited experience with both river and paper birch is that stopping them from spalting might be the problem. In addition, my experience has been that they went from fresh to spalted to punky quite quickly -- keep an eye on their condition.
Thanks RH. I recon I’ll try sticking the end in the dirt and see what happens. We have always called it river birch. Very plentiful around creeks and rivers here. It’s the kind with the papery looking bark that burns like fat lighterd. Just looked it up. River Birch.

piece of Cedar of Lebanon. Used my new Hunter tool that lets me undercut and hollow far laterally. One coat PTO so far. 7 1/2 inch diameter and less than 1/4 inch thickness. First time on lathe in 3 weeks—was on vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7500.jpeg
    IMG_7500.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7503.jpeg
    IMG_7503.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
After another long day of chainsawing fallen trees, I turned this small piece of shagbark hickory. The rim still needs work, but the wet wood was clogging my sandpaper, so I'll let it dry for a while then shape the rim before final sanding and finishing.

I just got a hollowing rig from Lyle Jamieson and added my own camera visualizer, so I figured I'd try it out on this piece. It worked pretty well. Could be a bit smoother, but it was good practice. I've since ordered Trent Bosch's thickness gauge and I think that will help me be a little more consistent and confident on the wall thickness, particularly on an actual hollow form where I can't easily feel the inside.

IMG_0854.jpg

David wondering how long you will let it dry. What's your go to finish for walnut. I am about to start into some 8 logs around 24 dia. of walnut I have had for a year. Great work once again. Been turning for about 3 years, still learning also. Have the Trent Bosch system for hollowing.

David wondering how long you will let it dry. What's your go to finish for walnut. I am about to start into some 8 logs around 24 dia. of walnut I have had for a year. Great work once again. Been turning for about 3 years, still learning also. Have the Trent Bosch system for hollowing.
I’ll keep weighing this one until I think it’s dry, probably a couple weeks with this heat😁. The finish I use most on walnut is Mahoney’s Walnut Oil or Tried and True Danish oil. It will probably be several weeks before I finish this one as I tend to finish several at the same time. However for this hollow form I may just seal it and use lacquer for the finish. I’ve been turning about 5 years but only knew what I was doing the last 2 years😂

Thanks for the quick reply. I too would have done the same as you had in your reply. I have been using Doctors Woodshop Oil also and have been very happy with the finish it gives. Big fan of the Tried and True products, Danish oil then used the varnish oil after for some pieces. Again thanks David.

Tool handles. Nothing groundbreaking, but important. I was curious abut Ashley Iles tools, so I ordered three, a 1" scraper (I only had one scraper, so I'm starting to build that side of it up), a 1", and a 1/8"parting tool. Handles are local ash with a ferric nitrate treatment, olive (first time turning olive), and maple with a ferric nitrate treatment and an India ink glaze. Shellac topcoat on all. Also added my new Jason Breach NRS by Taylor for the pik.

The Iles tools seem good quality. Small company, I found them slow to ship (three weeks or so) but they got here. Their catalogue talks about tools being finished to order, so I asked to have the skew ground at a 30 degree included angle. I figured that might be slowing it down, but it came and they hadn't done the grind. Oh well. Just regular M2, the Brits seem less into the new super-steels. Pretty good value to go straight to the manufacturer compared to retail prices in Canada.

1722423524558.jpeg

IMG_6055.jpeg
I was given several pieces of a standing dead apple tree from a neighbor’s yard a few days ago. Pretty badly checked and with a core of rot. On the plus side, some nice spalting. I put one of the best pieces on the lathe yesterday and made this 7” end grain hollow form. While I had hoped it would be taller, I had to keep revising plans as I found the rot coming out the side, but eventually I was able to center it in the bottom. At the finished size, I turned it off the lathe, put it on the drill press to cut out a 1 1/4” opening in the bottom, and I turned a matching plug to fill the hole. I gave it to the neighbors who seemed thrilled to have this reminder of their tree.

Trying some new shapes on the hollowing system these past few weeks. Came back recently from Italy vacation and took a pick and found this shape from a restored piece of pottery at City of Pompei. Cut from a piece of spalted Hackberry from a tree that was cut down for a new subdivision. Left the log sitting for a year outside near a farm near me. 10" x 6" approx. 3/16" thick. Haven't decided on a finish yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6102 Medium Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6102 Medium Medium.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6106 Medium Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6106 Medium Medium.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6108 Medium Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6108 Medium Medium.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 19
Just another simple hollow form from a piece a maple left over from my scrap pile in the garage. About 7" in height and width, 3/16" wall. No finish yet. Set of three pieces just sitting on table for now not finished.

Attachments

• IMG_6062 3 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6062 3 Medium.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6067 Medium Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6067 Medium Medium.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6113 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6113 Medium.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20
Back