• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hill for "" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 17, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

I would bet folks in other parts of the world would prize black walnut, black cherry, et al. Our friends from across the pond(s) no doubt will weigh in.
Actually Western Europe has problems with Red Oak and coarse Evergreens from N. America, my cousin and now nephews have a lot of work removing and thinning out these species, but there are a lot of rules and regulations to work with, also Black Cherry is not liked as trees, they do not grow and mature as over here, of course they do have the European Walnut trees for the last 2000 years, they even have them now in England, renamed by them as English Walnut ;-) :rolleyes:
I lived for 25 years inThe Netherlands and trees an wood was part of our families living (on my mothers side)
This has grown into a large business, and was started by my great grandfather (He borrowed ;) a horse from the French Army )

personel movers.jpgspecial material.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been without a lathe for the past month while Technatool in Florida repaired my drive board on my DVR 2024. The modular design of this beast made the servicing quite easy.
Heres one I dug out of the blank pile with some serious punkiness through the middle but really good colors. I was soaking it in Varathane wood hardener, thin CA, then overcoating the punky areas with medium CA to deal with the tearout. The remaining minor roughness gives it a bit of character, showing how close it came to being compost.IMG_3769.jpegIMG_3771.jpeg

Actually Western Europe has problems with Red Oak and coarse Evergreens from N. America, my cousin and now nephews have a lot of work removing and thinning out these species, but there are a lot of rules and regulations to work with, also Black Cherry is not liked as trees, they do not grow and mature as over here, of course they do have the European Walnut trees for the last 2000 years, they even have them now in England, renamed by them as English Walnut ;-) :rolleyes:
I lived for 25 years inThe Netherlands and trees an wood was part of our families living (on my mothers side)
This has grown into a large business, and was started by my great grandfather (He borrowed ;) a horse from the French Army )

View attachment 64628View attachment 64629

That's pretty cool.

View attachment 64628View attachment 64629
Hmm, I thought the English walnut was actually the Persian walnut, and the Persians were the ones who turned it into an orchard tree rather than the wild walnut trees.

robo hippy

Hmm, I thought the English walnut was actually the Persian walnut, and the Persians were the ones who turned it into an orchard tree rather than the wild walnut trees.

robo hippy
English walnut originates in Iran (Persian walnut). A different species is native to North America.

Walnuts are an important ingredient in Persian cuisine. One of my favorite dishes is chicken in walnut/pomegranate sauce, served over rice.

robo hippy
An other name is Carpathian Walnut, in the Carpathian Mountains it is where the Walnuts survived the last Ice age, there are still large Walnut trees growing in the wild, people have planted these Walnuts in a large area in Europe, the same Walnut trees grow in the area I grew up in, many neighbors had a Walnut tree on their property, as did we.
I assume that the Romans did plant Walnuts where ever they settled for any length of time.
But there is no reason to call them Italian/Spanish/French/ English etc. Walnut trees, as they are just the same species and are not native to England or the other countries.

The softest most rotten chunk of maple I had! Only piece big enough for what I wanted to do. Started turning at 6 high 12 around and ended up with 5 high and 10 round. Two coats of resin mixed with alcohol to make it firm up enough to finish. Ice pick penetrated all the way in on one side of the piece! I put my finger thru it in one spot before it flew off.
IMG_8692.jpg
IMG_8691.jpg
IMG_8683.jpg
IMG_8686.jpg

My plan today was to finish the foot on about 15 bowls and get them in stock. Then I remembered I bought some Indian Ink last week for a future project and had to see how it looked on a white oak bowl instead. Now I’ll just add it to the others and finish them tomorrow…hate it when that happens😁😁

View attachment 64609

View attachment 64608
View attachment 64607
Love the contrast! Nice curve down to the foot. Please put in gallery after it’s finished.

Back