• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
The Wood Database has a page on fluorescence: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/fluorescence-a-secret-weapon-in-wood-identification/

Black locust and honey locust are the most fluorescent in terms of domestic hardwoods. Sassafras, coffetree, mesquite, olive, pistachio, and eastern redbud, are a few more.
Here's an old forum thread on the topic:

Piece of rock maple left over from the clock project.
I received this beautiful slightly spalted Mango blank from a friend a while ago. Finally got it on the lathe. It's only a couple of inches thick, so mounted via a glue block preserve as much wood as possible. It's one of those"saving it for the right project" blanks. I'm excited for what it hopefully will become.

View attachment 65652
Mike, you ought to glue a waste block on that piece to get a little more out of it. I have a piece of mango I brought back from hawaii last year but haven't done anything with it yet.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Mike, you ought to glue a waste block on that piece to get a little more out of it. I have a piece of mango I brought back from hawaii last year but haven't done anything with it yet.
Oh I definitely did, and then it was just barely enough. It’s on the headstock side in the photo. I’ve worked with mango a few times. For how porous it is, it turns and finishes really nicely. A lot of wild colors show through.

Interesting stuff on fluorescence…

Does the fluorescence diminish/fade over time like how purpleheart turns brown over time?

Or is it permanent feature of these species?

And just in case anyone is wondering what sparkling green unicorn spit looks like on spalted maple...... Here you go!

You'll have to excuse the poor picture. I only took a video and this is a picture of a paused video. (too lazy to go back to the shop and take a real pic)

Attachments

• PXL_20240813_220501658.jpg
    PXL_20240813_220501658.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 20

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
@Gary Beasley nice! I guess I meant if they were in sunlight the fluorescence would fade. Or at least fade from original glow. That boxelder still has its red so I’m assuming it’s been protected from the sunlight?

Driving by a house down the road and a ton of sycamore! Owner said take as much as you like. Well I just can't pass up free wood, got to learn to say no. But I didn't as you can see. Ended up with 21 nuggets. Started turning first 2 today. Base of tree is about 5 feet in diameter. Just worked on pieces at road. Had to cut them in half and remove pith they were so large to start with.

Attachments

• IMG_6152 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6152 Small.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6153 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6153 Small.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6157 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6157 Small.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That little faceplate was enough? How long were the screws?
1/4" long stainless steel screws. Use all 6 holes in 3 inch faceplate. Screw was a. no. 12 I think, fits hole snug in faceplate and holds tight when applied. Haven't had a problem in 3 years using this method for large heavy blanks. Also use tailstock at same time to limit any vibration and for safety. Don't use this for all roughing blanks depends on what type of wood and mostly wet freshly cut wood.

Norm, sycamore is one wood where the 10% rule for twice turning does not work. The weight is because it holds so much water. If you quarter saw it, the medullary ray flecking can be spectacular, so bowl bottom towards the pith rather than to the outside. Makes for great platters.

robo hippy

Norm, sycamore is one wood where the 10% rule for twice turning does not work. The weight is because it holds so much water. If you quarter saw it, the medullary ray flecking can be spectacular, so bowl bottom towards the pith rather than to the outside. Makes for great platters.

robo hippy
Thanks for the tip! How thick would you cut a rough platter, for twice turning? For bowls should I increase the 10% rule?

1/4" long stainless steel screws. Use all 6 holes in 3 inch faceplate. Screw was a. no. 12 I think, fits hole snug in faceplate and holds tight when applied. Haven't had a problem in 3 years using this method for large heavy blanks. Also use tailstock at same time to limit any vibration and for safety. Don't use this for all roughing blanks depends on what type of wood and mostly wet freshly cut wood.
Norm, well done, I have used a 4 inch faceplate for much larger blanks with 1 inch screws many times and for many years, as long as you are working with sound wood that is plenty.
Sycamore is a rather stable wood, I liken it to Silver Maple, as being much like that.

Here are a couple pictures of a Sycamore bowl I turned, 20 inch and rough turned to a 2 inch thick wall.
This shows the 4 inch faceplate and the 1 inch screws I have used numerous times.
Sycamore blank.jpg
This shows the rough turned shape that I turned a recess in to hold it in my Oneway chuck.

rough shaped Sycamore bowl.jpg recess secure hold.jpg

This picture shows the new turned bowl and then the fully dry one without any finish on it, you can see the 2 inch wall I used, it shows that I could have gone with a much thinner wall, there is no warping and nearly no shape change.

drying & dry Sycamore bowl.jpg.

Thanks for the tip! How thick would you cut a rough platter, for twice turning? For bowls should I increase the 10% rule?
Well, I turn to final thickness and let them dry and warp. Not sure how to do a twice turned piece with sycamore. I know you can boil it, which generally is 1 hour for each inch of thickness, then let it come back to room temps in the water before removing, then seal and store till dry. Do make sure to round over all edges. The thing I don't like about boiling is that it seems to muddle the colors together. I turn mostly green madrone which warps insanely and it has a lot of color. The sycamore is usually kind of bland, other than the flecking. A quarter sawn piece might be more stable, but I don't really know.

robo hippy

I can never seem to make enough of these little coffee scoops. A good way to use up small pieces. I like turning this chaktekok (Honduras redwood), turns like butter. I know the vivid red tones will darken, but it sure looks great when fresh turned. IMG_2021.jpegIMG_2022.jpeg

I can never seem to make enough of these little coffee scoops. A good way to use up small pieces. I like turning this chaktekok (Honduras redwood), turns like butter. I know the vivid red tones will darken, but it sure looks great when fresh turned. View attachment 65819View attachment 65820
Those are neat! Are the handles just press fit? or are they glued? Im sure they sell great at shows/shops!

Busy day. Roughed out 3 more sycamore bowls. Thanks for the tip Leo really appreciate it. Always like to see what you started with and what you end up with. Still trying to find the right grain pattern in pieces. Rob thanks for the advice on the platter info, I will have to give that a try also.

Attachments

• IMG_6234 Medium Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6234 Medium Medium.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6235 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6235 Medium.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6237 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_6237 Medium.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 18
Back