• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
It’s usually easier and more rewarding to make another rather than fix a big error

You could do another exploding bowl

Calipers are a tool I use. I can still get too thin but not unexpectedly.
Agree about the fix. I hardly ever attempt to salvage something like this--ultimately, I just consider it practice and try to walk away with some reflective learning. Maybe a few curse words too...

I usually have my calipers at hand too, but on this one I just got careless and stopped checking (read, probably a bit overconfident) after I finished the side/bottom transition. Kept making "one more pass", several times, ultimately sealing the bowl's fate. Lesson learned!

And, thanks @Larry Mercier , it's all part of the journey. I think it's helpful to post the failures as well--I've definitely learned a lot from my own! This is a way we can all be in it together, ha. And, you're right--accepting failure is part of the learning process. I think it does more harm than good when you try to salvage a big mistake (not intended to offend anyone, just my opinion). Someone told me once that with potters the broken vessel pile is necessary, and I kind of think about artisanal firewood as our equivalent. Being able to cull is important. :)

Using Mahoney's Oil for the first time on hackberry bowl. Second turning for the only the second time. Have been roughing out for the past 18 months. Nice to finally see some finished product. For those of you that use Mahoney oil do you buff it afterwards?

Attachments

• IMG_4138 2 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4138 2 Medium.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4143 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4143 Medium.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4142 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4142 Medium.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
Using Mahoney's Oil for the first time on hackberry bowl. Second turning for the only the second time. Have been roughing out for the past 18 months. Nice to finally see some finished product. For those of you that use Mahoney oil do you buff it afterwards?
I've used the dr's woodshop version which is probably very similar and I didn't wait for it to cure so I didn't get good results. I guess it takes a long time. I need to go back and try again since it's been a month or so since I tried the buffing. With the doctors woodshop with the micro wax in it I had a bowl that used it on over two weeks ago and my vacuum chuck still pulled oil out of it the other day removing the tenon.

I just got back from 3 days with David Ellsworth's class that also included some serious pro-level turners as my classmates: Kalia Kliban, Steve Forrest and Pete Pelletier. Just wonderful people to spend a few days with; my mind is blown by all I learned. Here's a nice cherry blank on one of Dave's Sweet 16's (my ride for the 3 days):
My Sweet 16 with a Cherry Blank.jpg

Here I am with the master and a couple of cherry bowls I turned in the class:
David Ellsworth and Me.jpg
I tried my best to use David's approach and advanced finishing cuts (using his signature gouge and grind with the Ellsworth jig) on my 1st bowl after his class, and am in the process of finishing up this 8" box-elder bowl I rough-turned in January. Inside after 3 coats of TruOil. Someday I hope to get his finish off the tool, but it wasn't today (though I am loving and slowly dialing in his signature gouge):
Box Elder In Progress after TruOil.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Quilted maple finished last night.....sorry about the color. This is what I get with the incandescent/LED combination of lights I have on my lathe.

-o-

IMG_1950.JPGIMG_1951.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
You never cease to amaze!

Thanks Monty...... :)......sometime in the future I promise to have better photos with better color, and not blurry from my unsteady hand!

-o-

Agree about the fix. I hardly ever attempt to salvage something like this--ultimately, I just consider it practice and try to walk away with some reflective learning. Maybe a few curse words too...

I usually have my calipers at hand too, but on this one I just got careless and stopped checking (read, probably a bit overconfident) after I finished the side/bottom transition. Kept making "one more pass", several times, ultimately sealing the bowl's fate. Lesson learned!

And, thanks @Larry Mercier , it's all part of the journey. I think it's helpful to post the failures as well--I've definitely learned a lot from my own! This is a way we can all be in it together, ha. And, you're right--accepting failure is part of the learning process. I think it does more harm than good when you try to salvage a big mistake (not intended to offend anyone, just my opinion). Someone told me once that with potters the broken vessel pile is necessary, and I kind of think about artisanal firewood as our equivalent. Being able to cull is important. :)
Michael I never screw-up :oops:, just wanted an improvement of the original design:rolleyes:, anyway that has happened a couple times, and because of the use of a recess the re-adjustment did work out OK some times.

Like here is a nat.edge Black Walnut that became a safe candle holder with a metal bottom :cool:.
Walnut nat. edge repair.jpg

Then there was a larger Mulberry bowl that got raised up a bit with a piece of Black Walnut that filled the recess, not showing on the inside :)

Mulberry improvement.jpg

Last edited:
Turned some green Bradford Pear today . First green wood I have turned in a while. Got it a bit thin on the lower side and it may not make it thru drying but was a fun turn.
img_8007-jpg.54609
IMG_8008.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 223
Sister was going by a woodcraft, asked if I wanted anything...... I said I'd try some dye. Looked and unicorn spit was on clearance... Only online apparently. I told her to pick a color and I'd try it.

She says this is a popular color right now. I don't know what criteria a 69 year old woman uses to determine this but what's the saying? Go big, bold or go home? I ran with it.

I do think I will try to make a lid for it. I like to experiment you know...........

Might call it medium rare. (kinda looks like a hamburger)

Hot Pink Sparkle for those of you who want to run out and pick some up!​

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_230013444.jpg
    IMG_20230805_230013444.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230805_230008093.jpg
    IMG_20230805_230008093.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230805_230002002.jpg
    IMG_20230805_230002002.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 48
I blew through the side of this one while gleefully enjoying how wonderfully my gouge was cutting!?! I unfortunately had spent far too many hours hand carving the outside. I amazingly didn't get very upset as I knew it was not fixable and just one of life's moments out of my control. (This time!)
I keep it on my shelf as a gentle reminder
Looks like an opportunity to do some Segmenting Will!!

Was working on a thin Black Cherry calabash, and misjudged the bottom thickness. Didn’t go through, but might as well have. Can’t win ‘em all. Wonder if I can save it with some embellishment? Kidding, kidding… :p

View attachment 54540

Edit: always fun to break these open and check out the walls to get a full value learning experience. This bowl was a little bit squattier (flat-bottomed) than it should have been, so I'm not too worked up about it. Nevertheless, I should have been a bit more careful with checking the bottom. Like Will below, I just got caught up with the gouge. :p

View attachment 54566
Destruct and reconstruct plus your creative mind should yield something interesting. For you; these whoops should always equal opportunities (true for all of us actually)!!

odie

TOTW Team
After two days work making another urn I tried to go just a little bit deeper and made a funnel! Tried to fix it by adding a new bottom but it just doesn't look right. Off to the woodstove it goes!

Sometimes, (darn near always!) it's better to just let it go, and start over with new wood.

-o-

I have been using this piece of wood as a wheel chock for a trailer for a couple of years. It had been in a brush pile at some point because one side was burned deep. I was not sure what kind of wood it was until I made my first bandsaw cut on one end. The bright yellow wood gave it away- 'Hedge". I looked at it for quite a while trying to decide whether to make a small bowl or hollow form. I'm pretty sure I could have turned a solid piece of aluminum quicker. This piece was old, dried and hard. The hollowing took hours and I had to frequently sharpen. I'm going to try a water based finish to see if I can preserve the yellow color. Hedge is known for turning darker so we'll see if the WB finish helps.

Attachments

• 71293776849__F4A4E90A-2301-4D3F-9633-C77961A0914F.jpg
    71293776849__F4A4E90A-2301-4D3F-9633-C77961A0914F.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 46
1st turning of a green crotch olive wood. Both the first time for turning any olive wood larger than a pen blank and the first turning of this very wet piece of wood. I have sealed the bark and cracks with thin CA and will let it start the drying process. Hope it holds together. I have been told that olive wood "melts" as it dries.
Jay

IMG_7428.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Grabbed another piece of ash from the wood pile.
View attachment 54750
Did some turning.
View attachment 54751
View attachment 54752
Grabbed the torch. Needs color.
View attachment 54753

Finish with Tried and True. Final Pics in the gallery.
This intrigues me, Phil-My tree-man neighbor just added two big ash trunks to the already over-loaded pallet in my carport yesterday (with elm, sweet-gum and ambrosia maple waiting on me). I'd like to get at it this weekend. Do you or anyone else know how suitable it might be for live-edge? That's my latest obsession. I'll report back once I've gone at it some. The pale color and textured rings also make me want to try some stain and my embellishing wax on a piece too-we'll see what crazy ideas I get.

This intrigues me, Phil-My tree-man neighbor just added two big ash trunks to the already over-loaded pallet in my carport yesterday (with elm, sweet-gum and ambrosia maple waiting on me). I'd like to get at it this weekend. Do you or anyone else know how suitable it might be for live-edge? That's my latest obsession. I'll report back once I've gone at it some. The pale color and textured rings also make me want to try some stain and my embellishing wax on a piece too-we'll see what crazy ideas I get.
Not sure on the bark. It seems like it is on there pretty good. Not sure if that would last.

I have done many natural edge pieces and I find the best chance of having the bark stay on is to use fresh cut live healthy trees in their dormant phase. The next step is to once turn before the wood louses any moisture since one of the first things to degrade is the bond between the bark and the wood. I have tried the CA on the bark to harden it but it is never as good as the natural bond so I don't do it any more. The best woods that I have used is walnut, red & white oak, most cherry, birch and maple. The ash that I have tried is black ash and I found that the outer bark is very weak and crumbly, but you would need to try whatever variety you have to see if it will work. The ash you have may not be any good if it was cut down because of EAB.
The best chance of a pleasing piece is continuous curves without any straight lines and a wall thickness of around 1/4" or 6MM. The thin walls are necessary to allow the the wood to move / distort as it drys rather then check and also note that the bark and the wood may have different shrinkage rates,
9129-30Goblet.JPG
These black cherry goblets are an example of different shrinkage between wood and bark.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Progress photo of some off-lathe embellishing. I burned a pattern on the exterior of this Black Oak calabash. Now I’m in the process of dry brushing. I painted a light base layer of black acrylic, and now I’m prepping for a color gradient by adding layers of gesso. Tedious, but should be worth it in the end. Fingers crossed!

7F4018B8-0D23-44E5-A008-70D99667B647.jpeg

Progress photo of some off-lathe embellishing. I burned a pattern on the exterior of this Black Oak calabash. Now I’m in the process of dry brushing. I painted a light base layer of black acrylic, and now I’m prepping for a color gradient by adding layers of gesso. Tedious, but should be worth it in the end. Fingers crossed!

View attachment 54779
That looks very interesting Michael, bet it will look good, looking forward to seeing the end result 1thumb.gif

Back