• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Russ Braun's Segmenting Project

I like the way you're using the wider segments to form the pattern. I'll have to keep that in mind in designing future pieces. I suppose you could use double width maple segments as well instead of putting in two regular sized maple segments side by side. I can see how this could turn into a very complex segment width puzzle quite quickly.

I like the way you're using the wider segments to form the pattern. I'll have to keep that in mind in designing future pieces. I suppose you could use double width maple segments as well instead of putting in two regular sized maple segments side by side. I can see how this could turn into a very complex segment width puzzle quite quickly.
I’m really liking these bigger segments Doug! I expect to visit them again. The bigger segments really show as opposed to equal numbers of same colored small segments. Give it a whirl!

A little progress over the past week. Feature ring glue up is complete. I’ve reverse curved the upper section to create a different form from the Wenge vessel. Pic two shows the curved throat roughly attached…..I think it will work nicely. Top section has been turned on the interior. I have left it on the thick side (1/2”) to allow for additional form tune up once all three sections come together. Picture one shows feature ring gluing to top section.

Attachments

• IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2073.jpeg
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 19

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I love that you’re following up with the red neck version. Looking great! Possibly a stupid question, but why did you want to change the form? Just for fun?

I love that you’re following up with the red neck version. Looking great! Possibly a stupid question, but why did you want to change the form? Just for fun?
Great question Michael!

When I do two pieces at once, they need to end up looking different from each other. Often times that means a form change as well.

You may see similar pieces come out of my shop; they are all going to be unique to themselves. This piece will become my swap piece over at the SWT site.

My usual goal in creating swap pieces is to have the recipient completely stoked at their swap piece; I am confident in stating, mission accomplished.

These took time, I love spending time in the shop. I got to do a follow along project on the AAW forum, that was fun. I got two vessels done in a single project…always enjoyable!!

I am curious about people’s opinion on the two forms. I like this second one a lot; I like the first as well. we should wait until I post the finished pic of the red one….it needs to be named as well!!

Very nice Russ, it's amazing all the pieces together. I like the shape. The feature ring is "just enough", it doesn't detract from the overall shape and figure, which is what I think is the main attraction your'e trying to accomplish.

This piece will become my swap piece over at the SWT site.
Oh Crap. I think I'm going to be last this year with my SWT swap piece. Had to make a second one as I had alignment issues with the first. Then my waste block broke from the overhang needed for the offset turning point. Finally got everything turned and applied aqua coat to seal/fill the grain. Accidentally grabbed the oil based poly instead of the water based o_O. Hand sanded everything back and applied the water based poly. Now having issues getting a smooth finish. Two more coats to apply today, and then have to wait for things to harden before polishing (once again by hand). I think you're going to loose your last one completed title this year.:eek:

Final Post on this follow along (Yeah Right)! Here are the two pieces posted together. They are similar but very different. Remember that these two vessels were cut out of differing woods but the same size rings. By leaving the stock a little thicker than required, these vessels could be formed into different shaped pieces. It was easy enough to change the throat detail and the feature ring to individualize each piece. Let me know what you think about the different forms......I am not thin skinned so fire away!! I hope you all enjoyed the show; I am looking forward to going at it again soon!!

Attachments

• Shooting the Breeze.jpg
    Shooting the Breeze.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Sunset Breeze 1.jpg
    Sunset Breeze 1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 23
Those turned out great Russ. I'm sure the recipients will be as thrilled to receive them as I was to receive Summer Breeze. Well done my fellow segmenter.

Back