• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's in a Lathe?

For me, I do Woodturning to make me happy, so I want a machine that will make me smile every time I use it. My PM3520c does everything I need, but it doesn’t always make me smile. The banjo doesn’t glide smoothly. The bearings are noisy. Lots of motor noise over 1700 rpm. Paint is chipping. The indexing is very clumsy to use and doesn’t lock solid. Yes, I’m nitpicking. If this was my job I’d be perfectly happy with it.

I turned on a Harvey T-40 once. Smooth quiet and powerful. Had I done this before buying my 3520 I probably would have bought a T-60. Some think it uses proprietary electronics, but it doesn’t. It uses off the shelf Delta drive and motor. I have lots of experience with servo motors. They are extremely reliable and have full torque at very low rpm. Turn speed knob to 0 and it holds spindle from turning. It has same size spindle as Oneway, but Oneway has better bearings.

Oneway uses double row angular contact bearings that are internally preloaded. Vicmark uses tapered roller bearings with adjustable preload. Every other manufacturer I know of uses general purpose bearings that are less rigid and don’t handle tail stock pressure as well.

I have considered adding a 3 speed pulley and Oneway banjo to my 3520. That would hopefully eliminate my two biggest gripes.

Website
www.ovwg.org
For me, I do Woodturning to make me happy, so I want a machine that will make me smile every time I use it. My PM3520c does everything I need, but it doesn’t always make me smile. The banjo doesn’t glide smoothly. The bearings are noisy. Lots of motor noise over 1700 rpm. Paint is chipping. The indexing is very clumsy to use and doesn’t lock solid. Yes, I’m nitpicking. If this was my job I’d be perfectly happy with it.
Bingo!

That is what I feel about a machine. It may do the job, but does it make you want to use it and not be frustrated by it? Do you really enjoy stepping in front of it and feeling that sense of having a machine that will not distract you from your craft by the various problems?

Great point, I think the Oneway banjo will make a big difference on your lathe!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
It also absorbs vibration much better.

Cast iron vs steel ....... which really absorbs vibration better?

This is an extremely important consideration for making finely executed cuts on wood.

Somewhere, someone has a premium Robust and a Vicmarc.....or a premium Powermatic and a Oneway.....a combination of high-end lathes that are equivalent in size and weight......and can conclusively make an accurate comparison.

I'd like to see a series of tests for specific individual pieces of wood within various static levels of balance, all individually tested for vibration over a range of speeds while using the same exact mounting (i.e.: chuck or faceplate, or whatever.....just the exact same mount and exact same piece of wood for the test.)

I, for one......would be extremely interested in the findings.....but, the test has to be fair, honest, scientific, and have an accurate method of testing for inherent vibration at any specific rpm.......for one specific piece of wood.

-o-

Cast iron vs steel ....... which really absorbs vibration better?

This is an extremely important consideration for making finely executed cuts on wood.

Somewhere, someone has a premium Robust and a Vicmarc.....or a premium Powermatic and a Oneway.....a combination of high-end lathes that are equivalent in size and weight......and can conclusively make an accurate comparison.

I'd like to see a series of tests for specific individual pieces of wood within various static levels of balance, all individually tested for vibration over a range of speeds while using the same exact mounting (i.e.: chuck or faceplate, or whatever.....just the exact same mount and exact same piece of wood for the test.)

I, for one......would be extremely interested in the findings.....but, the test has to be fair, honest, scientific, and have an accurate method of testing for inherent vibration at any specific rpm.......for one specific piece of wood.

-o-
It was a generalisation from comments I’ve read about machine tools. Whilst true for metalworking machines that work to fine tolerances it may not make as much difference when turning *wood? The same with bearings, many machine tools use taper roller bearings whilst wood lathes normally only use deep groove bearings. Having said that, plain bearings were regarded as the very best many years ago and some wood lathes were fitted with them.

Your suggestion whilst very interesting would be extremely difficult to pursue. The two lathes would need to be of exactly the same size, weight, etc and have identical bearings and motor etc.
At my last job we had a CNC lathe and Mill and both were made from cast Iron even though it would probably have been easier to make them from steel. There must still be a reason for this.

*The degree of precision required depends on what you’re turning. 1/16” out when turning a 12” bowl won’t likely make much difference. That same error on a small box can ruin the piece.

It was a generalisation from comments I’ve read about machine tools. Whilst true for metalworking machines that work to fine tolerances it may not make as much difference when turning *wood? The same with bearings, many machine tools use taper roller bearings whilst wood lathes normally only use deep groove bearings. Having said that, plain bearings were regarded as the very best many years ago and some wood lathes were fitted with them.

People think of different things when you say “vibration”. The vibration that cast is better at absorbing is the high frequency low amplitude vibration, like you would get out of a piccolo. In other words, steel sounds different. This can make a difference in a high precision machine like a surface grinder, but I doubt it would make a difference in Woodturning. Overall mass, rigidity, and bearings would have a much bigger impact.

I was reading a discussion about today's lathes and lathes of old. For starters, let me provide context.

There are many classes of lathe, but for this discussion, let's use these three:
  1. Trash lathes. You know who they are and we don't use these.
  2. Good midi lathes. These are the 14-20" swing lathes by reputable manufacturers like Rikon, Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, and so on.
    1. EDIT: I included up to 20" in the midis, but as Bill B pointed out, the 18 and 20" lathes are probably considered full-size lathes.
  3. Top end full-sized lathes. Robust, OneWay, et al.
I started with a #1. It is a Wen 14x20. It's a decent lathe for $600 but quickly outgrown. Then I moved to #2 when I bought my Rikon 70-1824.

My experience is limited to exactly two lathes, so I depend on you all. I have two questions.
  1. The Powermatic 3520(a,b,c) is very popular. But I wonder, is that just legacy or is it justified today when compared to other manufacturers? Is the Powermatic better than the Jet, Laguna, or Rikon of the same size?
  2. Taking that same question to the next level, are the Robust and OneWay lathes that much better than, say, the Powermatic? Put another way, are the top end lathes really $3-4,000 BETTER than the Powermatic, et al?
It would be great if you could leave your emotions out of your answers. You may love Powermatic, Robust, etc., but I'm asking for objective feedback, not fanboy opinions.
I own a Powermatic 3520. It's a great lathe, solid and heavy, quiet, and I can't think of any project I'd do on a lathe it couldn't handle. In addition, with a capacity of 20", I will never out grow it.

I have, however, used a Robust American Beauty 3 times for several days each while in class. I feel the Robust lathes are superior in almost every way to the Powermatic. They are sort of the top of the line I'd say. However, when I bought my Powermatic, I paid around $4,000 for it (much less than they sell for today). At that time, the Robust American Beauty was over $8,000 (now may$10,000). While the Robust has stainless ways and an incredible fold down tailstock, plus being an extremely high quality lathe, I could not justify spending twice what the Powermatic cost given I'm in my 70's and who knows how many years into the future I will be able to use it.

Having said all of this, I was never sorry I bought the Powermatic. It is truly a solid, high quality lathe. Its fit and finish will never come close to the Robust however. So, while functionally it performs as well as the Robust, it just isn't as "nice", so sometimes, in my less positive moments, I look at it and remember the Robust lathes I used and think it sure would be nice to own a lathe on which the finish doesn't chip constantly and I don't have to mess with the 50 pound tailstock even though I do have the tailstock swing away accessory. As a quick add-on, even though the Powermatic is heavier than the Robust, there was never any vibration issues with the Robust, at least not for me when I was using it class. I saw some guys in class turning some very large pieces (wet) which would have caused problems on a lesser lathe.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
have, however, used a Robust American Beauty 3 times for several days each while in class. I feel the Robust lathes are superior in almost every way to the Powermatic.
I don’t know what classes you took but for most folks spending the savings on quality classes will make turning more enjoyable because their work will improve a lot more with gained skills than it will from using a better lathe.

Vibration, so what if cast iron might be better than steel for vibration dampening? No matter which material is used you're still stuck with a lack of rigidity using hand held tools. That's where there should be concern. Rigidity in tools is why CNC and OT can produce surfaces without catches needing little sanding.

A friend has an old Fay and Scott patternmaker's lathe. It makes today's top of the line lathes look flimsy and weak, but he's making patterns for casting big man hold covers. The big X frame is used outboard with the outboard turning stand. He doesn't have to remove the tailstock. I suspect that the tailstock quill and handwheel will weigh close to 50 Lbs. alone.

F&S - 1.jpgF&S - 2.jpgF&S - 3.jpgF&S - 4.jpg

What this thread, or another like it, needs is a useful summary of the specs and key features of each lathe currently on the market.

I put the attached spreadsheet together for another forum a few years back of the larger lathes available to us then down here in Australia. Someone needs to do the same for Nth America.

A topic that has contributions like, "I have an X-lathe and I love it except for its thingamabob" is of value for the qualitative comments, but if I was looking to replace my lathe I would find a spreadsheet like this a valuable starting point.

Here is a sample from that spreadsheet...

Larger lathes currently available here in Australia
As at: 5 November 2020
MakeVicmarc Vicmarc Vicmarc WoodfastWoodfast
ModelVL300S ASMVL300SMLVL240WL3040AM910
Nominal HP322 or 23 (apparently 4)2
kW2.21.51.5 or 1.52.2 (2.98)
ConfigurationShort BedStandard/
Heavy Opt
Sliding bedStandard
Centre Height to Bed300mm 300mm 240mm 397mm260mm
Swing over bed/gap600mm600mm490mm794mm520mm
Outboard Swing
Between Centers500mm500mm500mm1016mm975mm
Working Height
to Centre
1070-1370mm1070-1370mm1020-1195mm/
1065-1340mm
1118 mm
Swivel HeadNoNoYes/YesNoNo
Sliding HeadNoNoNo/NoNoNo
ThreadM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mm
Indexing Holes2424243624
Morse TaperNo 2No 2No 2No 2No 2
BearingsTaperedTaperedTapered4 x Quatro
EVS via
3 Ratios
10-3000 rpm10-3000 rpm10-3000 rpm20 - 3,850rpm50-3890 rpm
2 Ratios
ReverseYesYesYesYesNo
Toolrest Post30mm30mm30mm25.4 mm25.4 mm
Headstock Bore 15mm15mm15mm10mm15mm
Through Tailstock10.5mm10.5mm10.5mm10mm15mm
Quill Travel75mm75mm75mm120mm100mm
Net Weight296kg?250kg/299kg249/303Kg179Kg
Dimen L x W x H1060x720x1280mm1270x710x1280Pkg size
1670*679*860mm
Features & factors5mm metal adjust
height stand
700mm footprint
Digital RPM
Movable control
Ext bed option
4mm fixed metal
stand
Adjust Ht
4mm/4-6mm stand
700mm footprint
Digital RPM
Movable control
Ext bed option
Movable control
Sliding bed - power
assist
Has 15A 1Ph plug
Traditional
offering
Indicative price A$ at Nov 2020
(excluding delivery)
$6,792.00$5,555.00$5,978/$6,572$4,999$4,279

Attachments

• Larger lathes currently available here at 5-11-2020_ noon - Sheet1.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Addition to Larger lathes currently available here 4 Aug 2022 - Sheet1.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 8
It sounds like Rikon is a nice brand. I just had experience with my Rikon bandsaw, and it is not particularly the best in terms of quality and stability.
I am no judge though, I just wanted to chime in and give some advice on machines I actually owned and used.

Which bandsaw? I have the 10-326. I don't really have a lot to compare it to, as it was my first bandsaw (well, in 30+ years anyway).

Vibration, so what if cast iron might be better than steel for vibration dampening? No matter which material is used you're still stuck with a lack of rigidity using hand held tools. That's where there should be concern. Rigidity in tools is why CNC and OT can produce surfaces without catches needing little sanding.
This makes interesting reading.

IMG_1953.jpeg

Unless a fabricated steel lathe is a lot cheaper I’m not sure of the point in using steel?

I don’t know what classes you took but for most folks spending the savings on quality classes will make turning more enjoyable because their work will improve a lot more with gained skills than it will from using a better lathe.
True, but that wasn't my point. My point was that, while Robust lathes appear to be superior in construction and fit and finish to the Powermatic, in the end it isn't something that affects it's operation or results for the turner.

@odie Cast iron does absorb vibration better than steel. However that does not equate to a lathe with cast iron ways would have less vibration than one with steel. As others have pointed out mass, bearings, motor, and other structural things will play a more important part on the overall vibration. I am not a vibration engineer, but I have worked with some of the worlds best vibration engineers. There are so many things that affect vibration such as the durometer of the isolation mounts, structure design, and mass. While getting a vibration signature for a lathe with steel ways vs. cast iron may be nice, The outcome only tells what the vibration signature is for that lathe. What is really important is what the source of the vibration in the lathe and how it is mitigated. Steel or cast iron ways do not cause vibration. My point is vibration can be mitigated in a lot of different ways such as mass, structural design or isolation. The source of vibration is far more significant than the materials the ways are made from. Vibration testing is very costly when done right and very likely it would never be done on a lathe.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I think Brent hitting on one of the main elements, that cast iron is cheaper “in the long run”. When Robust and Oneway were starting out, and this is all conjecture on my part, the fabricated bed lathe was the cheapest route. To make a cast iron lathe requires many patterns, a foundry to pour them and many large machine tools to machine them. You won’t be machining a Powermatic long lathe on a Bridgeport milling machine. Speaking of Bridgeport mills, years ago, they left the raw castings for them in the weather for a year or so to acclimate and stress relieve. I think initially Robust and Oneway made a financial decision but it ended up being a very good machine decision as well.
The headstock, tailstock, and the banjo are cast in the USA. The bed designs on both the Robust and the Oneway are for rigidity.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
in the end it isn't something that affects it's operation or results for the turner.
The most significant component is the operator!
I mostly agree with your assessment. But on the margins there may be benefits to the turner and to the end product.

I’ll suggest a ONEWAY or Robust offer marginal improvements for turners.
Significant items for me are the banjos, tailstocks, swing aways that don’t require lifting, spindle height adjustments, easier belt change, moveable controls,
These make adjusting quicker, easier, and maybe a bit more accurately.
One way has the easiest to use index wheel.

One example i encounter in demos is reverse turning on a Powermatic requires extending the quill 3” inches out to let the banjo clear the tailstock to position a short rest. Introduces a bit more vibration

While I’ve always succeeded in the reverse turn on the Powermatic, I think it would have been ever slightly better on a ONEWAY or robust.

Kind of true Bill, until it rusts. Hence the stainless steel. A short soap box comment from me: Woodturners today live in a "lathe rich" and "tool rich" environment. Never have so many different brands of good machines and good tools been available. We can all find what's just right for us. That leads us all to threads like this where we can have open discussions about our likes and dislikes.
Yes, each of us have different situations, desires, and needs, which leads us to different products. There is no single “best lathe” or single “best tool” for everyone.

The most significant component is the operator!
I mostly agree with your assessment. But on the margins there may be benefits to the turner and to the end product.

I’ll suggest a ONEWAY or Robust offer marginal improvements for turners.
Significant items for me are the banjos, tailstocks, swing aways that don’t require lifting, spindle height adjustments, easier belt change, moveable controls,
These make adjusting quicker, easier, and maybe a bit more accurately.
One way has the easiest to use index wheel.

One example i encounter in demos is reverse turning on a Powermatic requires extending the quill 3” inches out to let the banjo clear the tailstock to position a short rest. Introduces a bit more vibration

While I’ve always succeeded in the reverse turn on the Powermatic, I think it would have been ever slightly better on a ONEWAY or robust.
Swing away tailstocks? Robust's is clearly superior to Powermatic and, as we age (I'm going on 74), the Powermatice tailstock swingaway accessory is one of those "features" which, on the Powermatic, not really a feature. It's an inconvenience. The Robust's is a dream. While that doesn't make the turner, Robust's "swing away" certainly makes it much more enjoyable. I don't believe it's worth twice the price of a Powermatic, but it's something to consider.

Indexing is something I just don't use in my work, so it's really irrelevant to me.

As far as Powermatic's quill is concerned isn't the distance it needs to be extended a function of the length (width?) of the tool rest? It has never been an issue for me, but I have never used the Powermatice tool rest that came with the lathe. It's way too long for most of my turnings. A 9" or 11" or 12" is more than enough, even for larger diameter pieces.

I no expert. I just know that the Powermatice suits my purposes and would suit most people's work well. It's solid. It doesn't move. It has sufficient power for anything I want to do. The Robust has all thouse things too and some additional improvements which make it, to some degree, a better lathe, but not twice as good.

In the end the bottom line is that any lathe that allows you to do the work you want to do is the lathe for you. As I've aged, I don't feel the need to plan for 20-30 years of use so sometimes that influences my choice of those few tools I buy these days. I've been lucky to be able to purchase high quality tools and either the Powermatic or Robust fit that description.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
As far as Powermatic's quill is concerned isn't the distance it needs to be extended a function of the length (width?) of the tool rest?
Partly. But let me explain

I like to use a 4” rest for turning off the tenon when I have finished a NE bowl.
To get this small rest in a useable position on a powermatic I have to advance the quill a lot more than what I considered desirable because the banjo has the tool post offset to the left.
This leaves 2-3 “ of banjo to hit the tailstock so the tailstock has to be backed up to provide clearance.
Extending the quill adds more vibration. Probably not significant. But I feel it is one example where the end product may be affected by the lathe.
The ONEWAY banjo has the tool post on the center line. No clearance issue with the tailstock.

The powermatic is a good lathe. And you have made a good choice.

I've never felt any vibration really. I turn off the tenons at the end also (although I may use a newly purchased vacuum chuck for those pieces it works for). I don't even own a small tool rest like a 4". I usually angle the tool rest in. Many times I also use Easy Wood Carbides, square and diamond, that I still own from my first turning days. They actualy work better for turning off tenons for me. In the end, we all buy tools which work for us and provide us with what we need to do the work we want to do.

I'm a big fan of "hybride" woodworking - using whatever tools work the best for me. In the case of turning that means I use what ever I'm used to and does the job, whether it's carbides (which many feel are not the mark of a good turner), steel gouges, scrapers, and hollowing tools...What gives me enjoyment is the actual work, not what tools or lathe I use (as long as the tools or lathe work for me).

So many discussions on all forums are like this one. Many think they have the answer to what's best when what's best is what works the best for each individual. The final piece is my goal. I know when I do good work and when I don't, whether it's a piece of furniture or a bowl. I also know when my work isn't as good as I'd like, but that's on me.

In less than two months I will be 78 years old and the Powermatic Swing Away is now the most important feature on my lathe. It takes about 8 seconds to unscrew and swing away and for me about 17 seconds to pull it back up and tighten the screw. Not really an inconvenience but a blessing for my back.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
This is certainly an interesting thread. I read a lot of threads on the different forums, as it's important to me to know what woodturners are thinking. So here is a comment about cast vs steel vibration from someone who makes steel woodturning lathe beds for a living and machines other parts for those same lathes using machine tools with cast iron beds.

The vibration dampening qualities of cast iron are well documented, and some of that info is accurately presented in this thread. That information refers to high frequency vibrations found in balanced machine tools running many thousands of RPM cutting metal. These vibrations are caused by the cutter's interaction with the material being cut, not by out of balance work.

The vibration woodturners are concerned about in is low frequency vibration caused by out of balance work. I'll argue the high frequency vibration information has little relevance to this issue. Other factors, as already described by others, are more important.

This is not to be confused with trying to cut wood that is too thin, with the vibration problems inherent to the wood and the nature of your cut. That's a whole other discussion.

We all have our favorites, but I think in a blind test, 99.9% of woodturners would be unable to determine what kind of lathe bed they were turning on.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
the banjo has the tool post offset to the left
And the tailstock tips 'backwards', away from the headstock. So the clamping plates of the banjo and tailstock bump against each other. Only really a problem if you're trying to get in close, like turning small parts with a small toolrest or getting the tool rest in next to the bottom of a bowl etc.

I don't notice any vibration problems really, but I know they're more likely with the quill extended. So I pretty much don't get this design decision (nor that it's continued thru all the 3520 updates A B C). Also it is annoying to crank the quill so far out knowing I'm just going to have to crank it all the way back in to eject the center. And then back out - just to clear the banjo again.)

I like my PM. It does everything I need it to. But this interference between banjo and tailstock is one thing that consistently annoys me.

And the tailstock tips 'backwards', away from the headstock. So the clamping plates of the banjo and tailstock bump against each other. Only really a problem if you're trying to get in close, like turning small parts with a small toolrest or getting the tool rest in next to the bottom of a bowl etc.

I don't notice any vibration problems really, but I know they're more likely with the quill extended. So I pretty much don't get this design decision (nor that it's continued thru all the 3520 updates A B C). Also it is annoying to crank the quill so far out knowing I'm just going to have to crank it all the way back in to eject the center. And then back out - just to clear the banjo again.)

I like my PM. It does everything I need it to. But this interference between banjo and tailstock is one thing that consistently annoys me.
Yep-I deal with this on about every turn. It's my only quibble with the PM, really.

In less than two months I will be 78 years old and the Powermatic Swing Away is now the most important feature on my lathe. It takes about 8 seconds to unscrew and swing away and for me about 17 seconds to pull it back up and tighten the screw. Not really an inconvenience but a blessing for my back.
I have a Midi lathe and didn’t appreciate the design of the tailstock until I started using it. Due to the open design I can easily remove/replace it one handed.

IMG_1966.jpeg

What this thread, or another like it, needs is a useful summary of the specs and key features of each lathe currently on the market.

I put the attached spreadsheet together for another forum a few years back of the larger lathes available to us then down here in Australia. Someone needs to do the same for Nth America.

A topic that has contributions like, "I have an X-lathe and I love it except for its thingamabob" is of value for the qualitative comments, but if I was looking to replace my lathe I would find a spreadsheet like this a valuable starting point.

Here is a sample from that spreadsheet...

Larger lathes currently available here in Australia
As at: 5 November 2020
MakeVicmarcVicmarcVicmarcWoodfastWoodfast
ModelVL300S ASMVL300SMLVL240WL3040AM910
Nominal HP322 or 23 (apparently 4)2
kW2.21.51.5 or 1.52.2 (2.98)
ConfigurationShort BedStandard/
Heavy Opt
Sliding bedStandard
Centre Height to Bed300mm300mm240mm397mm260mm
Swing over bed/gap600mm600mm490mm794mm520mm
Outboard Swing
Between Centers500mm500mm500mm1016mm975mm
Working Height
to Centre
1070-1370mm1070-1370mm1020-1195mm/
1065-1340mm
1118 mm
Swivel HeadNoNoYes/YesNoNo
Sliding HeadNoNoNo/NoNoNo
ThreadM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mmM30 x 3.5mm
Indexing Holes2424243624
Morse TaperNo 2No 2No 2No 2No 2
BearingsTaperedTaperedTapered4 x Quatro
EVS via
3 Ratios
10-3000 rpm10-3000 rpm10-3000 rpm20 - 3,850rpm50-3890 rpm
2 Ratios
ReverseYesYesYesYesNo
Toolrest Post30mm30mm30mm25.4 mm25.4 mm
Headstock Bore15mm15mm15mm10mm15mm
Through Tailstock10.5mm10.5mm10.5mm10mm15mm
Quill Travel75mm75mm75mm120mm100mm
Net Weight296kg?250kg/299kg249/303Kg179Kg
Dimen L x W x H1060x720x1280mm1270x710x1280Pkg size
1670*679*860mm
Features & factors5mm metal adjust
height stand
700mm footprint
Digital RPM
Movable control
Ext bed option
4mm fixed metal
stand
Adjust Ht
4mm/4-6mm stand
700mm footprint
Digital RPM
Movable control
Ext bed option
Movable control
Sliding bed - power
assist
Has 15A 1Ph plug
Traditional
offering
Indicative price A$ at Nov 2020
(excluding delivery)
$6,792.00$5,555.00$5,978/$6,572$4,999$4,279
What a great idea, Neil!

I caught the turning bug from someone I was following on Twitter. So I bought a $200 lathe off Amazon (pre-pandemic) and some carbide tools and did some practice turnings but never a complete item. When we moved here from the west coast, the lathe wouldn't turn with any weight on it. So after discussion and researching what I could, my husband and I bought a Laguna 18/20. I still haven't turned a complete project yet but am getting closer. I'm happy with the Laguna and since this is only a hobby and not for making profit, I'm sure this is the last lathe I'll ever buy.

I would like to find someone to come over to my house and teach me what I'm doing right and what I could do better. I've got a ton of wood just waiting for me to make it into something beautiful!

What a great idea, Neil!

I caught the turning bug from someone I was following on Twitter. So I bought a $200 lathe off Amazon (pre-pandemic) and some carbide tools and did some practice turnings but never a complete item. When we moved here from the west coast, the lathe wouldn't turn with any weight on it. So after discussion and researching what I could, my husband and I bought a Laguna 18/20. I still haven't turned a complete project yet but am getting closer. I'm happy with the Laguna and since this is only a hobby and not for making profit, I'm sure this is the last lathe I'll ever buy.

I would like to find someone to come over to my house and teach me what I'm doing right and what I could do better. I've got a ton of wood just waiting for me to make it into something beautiful!
Connie-I took up turning during the pandemic, and most of my learning came from YouTube videos and trial and error. Once I started getting some hands-on help, my skills progressed quickly. Maybe look for AAW members or experienced turners near you in CO. Most are happy to help!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
What a great idea, Neil!

You are surrounded by some of the finest turners on the planet. A great time to reach out to them.

Consider a class with Trent Bosch in ft Collins.
Consider hooking up with the Rocky Mountain Woodturners - they meet in Loveland- http://www.rmwt.org/

You might consider attending the Rocky Mountain symposium later this month.
Great lineup of demonstrators. Great trade show.

If color interests you Kimberly winkle does a great presentation on milk paint
Joe Fleming does a great airbrushing demo.
You can meet Trent Bosch in the trade show.
@Michael Anderson who is active on this forum and helps run it - will be there.
Also my distant neighbor Rudy Lopez will be there too along with a half dozen friends.

Have fun

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

You need to attend a meeting of the Front Range Woodturners in Denver. They meet on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:15 PM in the basement of Rockler Woodworking and Hardware, 2553 S Colorado Blvd #108.

You need to attend a meeting of the Front Range Woodturners in Denver. They meet on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:15 PM in the basement of Rockler Woodworking and Hardware, 2553 S Colorado Blvd #108.
Always a good idea to join a local club if there is one. 😉

Website
www.studiocsh.com
What a great idea, Neil!

Hi Connie- In addition to the other great CO resources already mentioned, I teach a series of one day workshops at the Denver Tool Library, mostly on weekends:

& I will be one of the demonstrators at the Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium as well!

I liked Kevin's comment re the lathe "disappearing" whilst using it, responding to your every need without fuss. It offers confidence. My Oneway provides all of that and, I suspect Robust does as well. It's something you can't put a price tag on but well apprecieated if it's there. Regarding choice of steel vs cast iron, If you talk to Kevin at Oneway or his dad, these were choices made by skilled, qualified engineers. There might have been cost considerations but the bottom line with these guys is "does it meet with my design objectives?" At their price point, it had better and it does. (Incidentally, I don't consider their 12" lathe belonging in a conversation about mid-to-large lathes).

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
to your every need without fuss. It offers confidence. My Oneway provides all of that and, I suspect Robust does as well. It's something you can't put a price tag on but well apprecieated if it's there. (Hmmm, what happened to the beginning of my reply. I'll assume it 's already posted itself somehow). Regarding choice of steel vs cast iron, If you talk to Kevin at robust or his dad, these were choices made by skilled, qualified engineers. There might have been cost considerations but the bottom line with these guys is "does it meet with my design objectives?" at their price point, it had better and does. My 2c.

You probably accidentally hit the CTRL key while typing the letter Z which will send your typing to Bit Heaven (or the other place). Another Gremlin caused Kevin Clay and his dad to go to work for Brent English at Robust. :rolleyes:

Hi Connie- In addition to the other great CO resources already mentioned, I teach a series of one day workshops at the Denver Tool Library, mostly on weekends:
That's where I know your picture from! I've been waiting for when I'm a little less busy to attend one of those. The biggest problem I have with going somewhere else to learn is that by the time I get to my lathe I've forgotten most of it.

& I will be one of the demonstrators at the Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium as well!
I'm looking forward to that!!

I've been to a few of those and have switched to the one in Loveland as it's an easier drive for me to.

You have a beautiful cat!

Connie-I took up turning during the pandemic, and most of my learning came from YouTube videos and trial and error. Once I started getting some hands-on help, my skills progressed quickly. Maybe look for AAW members or experienced turners near you in CO. Most are happy to help!
I have also watched a ton of YouTube videos. It really helped me to realize that turning was the form of woodworking I enjoy most. Every time I go out to my shop I come up with new non-turning related ideas of things to make. Some day I'll get around to doing them!

You are surrounded by some of the finest turners on the planet. A great time to reach out to them.

Consider a class with Trent Bosch in ft Collins.
Consider hooking up with the Rocky Mountain Woodturners - they meet in Loveland- http://www.rmwt.org/

You might consider attending the Rocky Mountain symposium later this month.
Great lineup of demonstrators. Great trade show.

If color interests you Kimberly winkle does a great presentation on milk paint
Joe Fleming does a great airbrushing demo.
You can meet Trent Bosch in the trade show.
@Michael Anderson who is active on this forum and helps run it - will be there.
Also my distant neighbor Rudy Lopez will be there too along with a half dozen friends.

Have fun
I am a member of RMWT but often don't have time in an evening to go to a meeting. I really need to rearrange things so that I can go more.

I signed up for the RM Symposium as soon as I returned from the AAW Symposium! I went to last year's RM Symposium and said to my husband, "I have found my people".

Back