• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Rabea Gebler for "Plum Blossom" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 24, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Website
www.ovwg.org
Finish turning the inside of some heart bowls for an upcoming show the end of July. They sell great but I don’t particularly like doing them😁, it’s like turning production.
Did 22 last October for a December show and turned the outside of all of them then finished 16 and sold all but one. These are what was left over. Will use wood dye and lacquer on all but the walnut. 2 down, 4 to go.
View attachment 64434

View attachment 64432
Curious how you sand the bandsawn edges.

Curious how you sand the bandsawn edges.
With the lathe off I use a random orbital and rotate slowly by hand to the contour. Once finished I take it off the chuck, sit it on its bottom and use the random orbital to even up any uneven spots.
I have it all documented with photos and videos of the entire process somewhere.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
@odie I need to ask, how do you buff the steep undercut rim and also how do you keep wax out of the lines??

Gabriel.....It's always best to buff parallel with the detail grooves to prevent compounds from accumulating there, and the half-round bowl buffs get under the lip of the undercut rim nicely.

-o-

Website
www.ovwg.org
Splurged and bought a piece of Red Coolibah Burl yesterday. Bowl measures 12” x10” x 3” at the tallest point. First coat of Danish Oil applied. Only the second piece of wood I’ve ever bought, $9 per kgs verses $14 per kgs for Red Mallee.
View attachment 64553

View attachment 64552
And wasn't it worth it!! Beautiful color and burl eyes! You can see now why I buy ALL of my wood....

Last night I made another serving tray, this time with a leftover piece of 1 3/4” thick table top I picked up for free from an Italian restaurant. The resulting tray is 19” wide between the handles with a 15” wide usuable area. It can be seen in the photo compared to the slightly smaller acacia butcher block serving tray I made in the same manner earlier this week.
IMG_0978.jpegIMG_0979.jpegIMG_0982.jpegIMG_0988.jpeg

Starting a small lidded box. The wood is Putara. It’s from New Zealand. My brother gave me this wood about 20 years ago and this is one of the leftover bits. It’s similar to cedar but more close-grained. I drill the piece to conveniently set the depth and will finish the hollowing with Oneway’s termite tool.IMG_1990.jpeg

Website
discord.gg
Another basket illusion. 10.5” x 2” maple. For curiosity sake I timed myself from finding center and cutting out the blank to finish sanding the tenon nub. 2 hrs 45min. Nice to have a success after the agony of defeat yesterday. Ran out of wood on that one!
Can't remember if I shared images here previously (but I know I didn't share the video link) but I built a machine that will do the pyro in one step with perfect indexing (no scribing). It isn't exactly fast, but it is much faster than doing both those steps by hand! Of course, it can do a lot more as well.

I forget how interesting mulberry looks sometimes. To me mulberry is a nuisance tree because of the berries when mowing mostly and it grows voluntarily around here. I wonder if this is considered an exotic in other parts of the world or any other of our domestic species exotic elsewhere?

9 x 4

Attachments

• PXL_20240702_024515636.jpg
    PXL_20240702_024515636.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 15
I forget how interesting mulberry looks sometimes. To me mulberry is a nuisance tree because of the berries when mowing mostly and it grows voluntarily around here. I wonder if this is considered an exotic in other parts of the world or any other of our domestic species exotic elsewhere

Sam Mulberry comes in different species and grows all over the world, Silk is made from the cocoon of the mulberry worm. de reason we have the White Mulberry here, a flop in trying to make Silk in the USA.
The Red Mulberry is the native North American species.
No not a good idea to plant this by you car parking area, as I remember someone did and close to the sidewalk which was city property, and he was not allowed to remove the tree later :D
Though the birds did like the tree ;-)

I forget how interesting mulberry looks sometimes. To me mulberry is a nuisance tree because of the berries when mowing mostly and it grows voluntarily around here. I wonder if this is considered an exotic in other parts of the world or any other of our domestic species exotic elsewhere?

9 x 4

I would bet folks in other parts of the world would prize black walnut, black cherry, et al. Our friends from across the pond(s) no doubt will weigh in.

I would bet folks in other parts of the world would prize black walnut, black cherry, et al. Our friends from across the pond(s) no doubt will weigh in.
You don't even have to go across the pond. Alberta native hardwoods are pretty much Aspen, balsam poplar or cottonwood and some box elder. Introduced species(planted by municipalities basically) include elm, ash and soft maple, very rarely maybe an oak tree. I always tell my wife if we ever move, it's happening based on tree availability! 😁

Back