• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

None of it is labeled. Looks like a piece of maple, walnut and cedar in there. Not sure on the rest. Only one board has a crack in it. The rest are just small blems that would be turned off anyway. I'm happy with it for the money!

Website
www.ovwg.org
Finished the pedestal for the current egg project. This was the one in progress above.

Redwood salvaged from my back deck that I recently tore down. Three Bloodwood pewa. This was a somewhat challenging turn for me, as the timber was very old, brittle and soft (janka hardness 420), and there is a pretty stark difference in hardness between the early- and late-wood. I mainly used a spindle roughing gouge, but also a spindle detail gouge for the top and bottom and to chamfer the corners. I chose Bloodwood (Satine) to complement the Redwood colors; however, Bloodwood is very hard (janka 2900), so it took quite a bit of care to not have the pewa proud of the surface of the spindle. All that said, sanding was pretty minimal, but I still went through the grits up to 600. Originally, I was going to use an oil finish, but decided against considering the potential for splotchiness (I have used wood conditioner in the past, but still...). Instead, I decided to lay down a few coats of shellac, sanding with 600 after each, and then finished with two coats of paste wax. It's not totally perfect, but I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out.

View attachment 66188
Nice Michael! I turned Redwood burl a few years ago and it sure is soft. That Bloodwood looks really nice with the Redwood.

You know... a starter Woodland Mills HM122 log mill is cheaper than a new Harvey T60 ... :) I had debated getting myself one (Living in firewood country it's fairly easy to get a local log truck to haul a load of poles for under a grand - Firewood logs may not be the best for quality lumber, but for $600 for a truckload of logs which might give a couple thousand board feet of lumber plus a few hundred bowl blanks and spindle blanks, it'd seem pretty cheap, if you don't factor in the backbreaking labor involved in running a HM-122 mill...

Several of these manufacturers have starter mills around $3k. I believe the HF mill is $2,500. A friend of mine has a portable mill with all the bells and whistles. He's selling it, but he wants $15k.

Finished the pedestal for the current egg project. This was the one in progress above.

Redwood salvaged from my back deck that I recently tore down. Three Bloodwood pewa. This was a somewhat challenging turn for me, as the timber was very old, brittle and soft (janka hardness 420), and there is a pretty stark difference in hardness between the early- and late-wood. I mainly used a spindle roughing gouge, but also a spindle detail gouge for the top and bottom and to chamfer the corners. I chose Bloodwood (Satine) to complement the Redwood colors; however, Bloodwood is very hard (janka 2900), so it took quite a bit of care to not have the pewa proud of the surface of the spindle. All that said, sanding was pretty minimal, but I still went through the grits up to 600. Originally, I was going to use an oil finish, but decided against considering the potential for splotchiness (I have used wood conditioner in the past, but still...). Instead, I decided to lay down a few coats of shellac, sanding with 600 after each, and then finished with two coats of paste wax. It's not totally perfect, but I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out.

View attachment 66188
Great idea to stabilize a knot with a pewa. I used CA yesterday and it still blew out, leaving a hole that now is getting colored epoxy.

Well, I have thought about a mill, and Glenn Lucas really liked his, but after thinking about it a while, I just don't think it is the best option. For me, I don't want any knots in my bowls. That means each section of a log must be cut differently, depending on where the knots are. If you cut straight through the center of a log, you get, to me, a lot of waste wood. Yes, I am fussy like that...

robo hippy
Well unless you have a branch showing on the surface of the log or a noticeable hump or swirl on the outside there is no way to know what is inside especially as you get closer to the pith. By splitting the log along the pith you can get a slightly better idea of where those grown over knots are.
The Woodmizer that I have was purchased used (1982 model) in 1998 for $6,000.00 slit 50/50 between myself and my brother and that includes power feed and lift for setting the thickness. The mill is used primarily as was intended for milling lumber, but splitting logs for turning was just an added dividend. We have never done any contract milling, but rather only milling for ourselves and friends.

If I was 30 or 40 years younger and had some woodlands, I would want a mill. Watched a few videos about them. One interesting thing is that Woodmizer makes carbide toothed blades that cut like butter for far longer than the bimetal blades do. I did ask once if they made that type of blade for home bandsaws and never got an answer. I would switch to one for my Laguna 16HD bandsaw....

robo hippy

Challenge accepted. Friend gave me a piece of arbutus with a funky knot hole missing in the middle and the challenge was to successfully turn something out of it. First tried to fill the hole with clear epoxy then add some things "island" centric. First couple of pours were no good as the epoxy turned a darkish yellow. Using a dremel cutter bit cleared out the epoxy and the white $hit and went at it. Will try shellac in the hole then clear epoxy plus little beach shells and dried teeny starfish that hopefully are viewable from the bottom and inside views. The 3rd pic shows how the original hole looked except it went clear through the blank. Cracks filled with medium brown CA glue.

Attachments

• bottom.jpeg
    bottom.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 20
  • inside.jpeg
    inside.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 20
  • like this.jpeg
    like this.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 20
One gentleman's valet dog dish. Of the walnut variety. Does the other one count as a bowl from a board? Because that was what it was from. A thick ash board I was going to use for something else and decided to do a quick thank you bowl out of instead. Hence the mortise bottom. It ended up with nice grain I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20240830_225229610.jpg
    PXL_20240830_225229610.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240830_225253804.jpg
    PXL_20240830_225253804.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240831_010035834 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240831_010035834 (1).jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240831_010058487.jpg
    PXL_20240831_010058487.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
If I was 30 or 40 years younger and had some woodlands, I would want a mill. Watched a few videos about them. One interesting thing is that Woodmizer makes carbide toothed blades that cut like butter for far longer than the bimetal blades do. I did ask once if they made that type of blade for home bandsaws and never got an answer. I would switch to one for my Laguna 16HD bandsaw....

robo hippy

Note: They can only be resharpened with diamond. That's OK if you resharpen them yourself with something like a Dremel, but most places that do resharpening of bandsaw blade are not kitted out with diamond wheels to do carbide.

The teeth are up near 90 HRA hardness, which means they are very hard and will cut for longer but are also very brittle, so you have to avoid embedded pieces of hard metal like screws or the teeth will shatter. Soft metal like old iron nails are not a problem.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I’m beginning to feel someone has to be touched to enjoy basket illusion so much.

By doing the same things over and over again, one refines the process for doing what one does.....and,
in turn, gains a particular kind of knowledge that is reserved for those who do.

Those who bounce around from one turning discipline to another, will not benefit from this very refined
evolutionary process.

It is that which defines what is important about how you do what you do, rather than any single example
of what you did.

-o-

IMG_6351.jpegA white ash vase hollowed with my Trent Bosch hollowing rig. Total length is 12”, diameter is 7 1/2”. Wood was harvested from a large tree that was brought down by the local power company a few years ago on the property of a neighborhood hospital, and left in the woods. I’ll be able to go back to it for some time as it is lying with a good portion of it off the ground. This piece is still drying and I’d love to come up with a finish that gives it a bit of shine, but preserves the color.

A quick hair stick for my wife. With such long hair she often puts it up and when I see her using a pencil it means she perhaps doesn’t have enough hair sticks sitting around. Ten minutes later she has one ( forgot to take a photo while it was still on the lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 25
  • karen_018.jpeg
    karen_018.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 26
I had request for some large salad and center piece bowls so this is a17-1/4” ambrosia maple that should have been 17-1/2” but had a lot of tear out on the ambrosia area. I can usually shear cut that out or use a freshly sharped gouge to cut it out. But three very sharp Thompson gouges didn’t do it this time.
I remembered Mike Mahoney saying he sometimes has to put some walnut oil on that area and shear cut/scrap to get it out. So first time I tried that and it really worked great. So I guess he wasn’t just trying to sell more walnut oil after all😂.
I have round 8 this size to do plus several 16” and 15”. I sell a lot more 10-14” bowls but lately people have been wanting larger bowls.
I think I will make the thickness around 3/8” since I think larger bowls need to be a little thicker.
Edit: Unfortunately some of the ambrosia was cut out on the inside.

1725587834610.jpeg
1725566259949.jpeg
1725566231619.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a chunk of magnolia and made this little hollow form, 5 3/4 inch diameter and 3 1/2 inch height, 1 1/2 inch opening and less than 1/4 inch thickness. No finish yet and needs a bit more sanding. Trying to get consistent on wall thickness, smoothness internally, and a smaller opening. Happy it didn’t blow up.

Attachments

• IMG_7985.jpeg
    IMG_7985.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 11
Website
jpseyfried.com
A while ago a friend brought over a piece of burl. Most of it was past the expiration date but I did manage to make him a little box.

burlboxc.jpg
When I called to take it to him and he told me to bring my chainsaw with me. He has offered me to cut a burl from his woods for some time. I think this is the nicest piece of burl I have ever had. I hope to get a core or two from it. I think it is elm.

elmb576.jpgelmb577.jpg

Not on the lathe yet.
Helped out at a lumber mill. He is milling up and giving me three cherry trees for payment on fixing his tractor.
Figured I could at least help.
First load. The other two trees are still out in a field. He says he has an apple tree also if I want it.
Log was a little over 4 foot long. Got 3-4 and 5 inch thick pieces. It was cut down about 3 years ago. IMG_9220.jpgIMG_9225.jpgIMG_9226.jpg

Osage orange will be on my lathe this winter. Had a short 4 foot log sawn this week. Typical Osage though, had to cut out all the voids, cracks, bark inclusions and the like. Some of these will be rough-turned and dried, others will be dried as is and turned in the coming years. IMG_2032.jpegIMG_2033.jpeg

Not on the lathe yet.
Helped out at a lumber mill. He is milling up and giving me three cherry trees for payment on fixing his tractor.
Figured I could at least help.
First load. The other two trees are still out in a field. He says he has an apple tree also if I want it.
Log was a little over 4 foot long. Got 3-4 and 5 inch thick pieces. It was cut down about 3 years ago. View attachment 66447

That should keep you busy for a while. What is the wood in this last picture? Is that the apple? If it's cherry, it's the strangest cherry I've ever seen.

I'm working on my hollowing. I grabbed this piece off the shelf. It was sitting next to some elm, which is what I was going for. It turned out to be a mulberry blank. 6" x 2.5". Finished with shellac. I was inspired to try shellac after seeing Jaramiah's pieces. Mine didn't turn out as well. I use a 1# cut of shellac. I brushed it on with a fine brush with the lathe turning at 80 RPMs. I still got pooling and runs on the shellac. @Jaramiah Severns, would you share your shellac application technique?

IMG_20240907_131406.jpgIMG_20240907_131523.jpg
IMG_20240907_131428.jpgIMG_20240907_131445.jpg

Back