• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Thanks, everyone, for the really good ideas on loosening the chuck and faceplate. @Brian Gustin chucking up a lever arm brought a "Doh!" -- what a simple idea, embarrassed I didn't think of it. @Kent Reisdorph I've got a Talon; the adapter has two threaded holes for, I imagine, set screws, but I don't believe those were included. I'll re-check the packaging. @Dave Landers I like the idea of drilling a hole in the faceplate, then keeping an eye out for one of @Marc Banka's pin spanner.

Bowling balls. That is why I call them bowling bowl.
You know, I wouldn't mind trying this. And since bowling alleys seem to be closing all over the place, I bet there are a lot of used bowling balls for sale at good prices? I would think they would be expensive to ship due to their size and weight, so maybe best to look around locally.

You know, I wouldn't mind trying this. And since bowling alleys seem to be closing all over the place, I bet there are a lot of used bowling balls for sale at good prices? I would think they would be expensive to ship due to their size and weight, so maybe best to look around locally.
I have a bowling alley local that gives them to me for free. I will give him one as a thank you.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Finished up roughing the last few bowls for seasoning last night.....glad to get back to second turning and buffing a few that are in the queue.....

The shaving pile is getting out of hand now.....will have to do some clean-up tonight!

-o-

20240307_233255.jpg 20240307_233331.jpg
Also took the 1928 Model A Ford out for the first spin of the new year yesterday!
photo_2024-03-07_16-23-41-2.jpg

Odie-Suddenly I don't feel too bad about my shop floor. And Rusty, I'm guessing the hardest part of turning a bowling bowl is cutting it in half safely? I imagine you need a very tight cradle/jig to do it without danger.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Finished up roughing the last few bowls for seasoning last night.....glad to get back to second turning and buffing a few that are in the queue.....

The shaving pile is getting out of hand now.....will have to do some clean-up tonight!

-o-

View attachment 61315 View attachment 61316
Also took the 1928 Model A Ford out for the first spin of the new year yesterday!
View attachment 61322
Cool car Odie! As a car guy I would love to have one of those!

Also I was wondering why the tool rest locking handle was cut shorter?

odie

TOTW Team
Cool car Odie! As a car guy I would love to have one of those!

Also I was wondering why the tool rest locking handle was cut shorter?
I like your truck Odie.

Thanks.....If you like cars earlier than WW2, then the Model A Ford is the way to go. There is a whole industry making maintenance and replacement parts for them.....plus plenty of instructional videos explaining how to maintain them.

Gabriel.....Some here will remember the time I complained that the locking mechanism of the tool rest doesn't have hardened threads. I stripped out the original screw from over tightening. I cut this locking handle short, in order to prevent myself from not thinking, and doing the same thing. This works out pretty well for me, because very little pressure is actually needed to get a firm grip in the tool rest post. That may sound like a dumb thing to do, but it works for me......besides, when I bought a replacement, it came with another full length handle......and I have it stashed, just in case cutting down the original handle turned out to be a big mistake.....and in my case, it wasn't! :)

-o-

-o-

View attachment 61316

Odie

I wouldn't call that shavings pile out of hand!
Mine can get up to waist high before I put down the turning tools and pick up the shovel...:)
I think the following pile took fifteen large garbage bin bags to pick-up.

Shavings pile.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Odie

Mine can get up to waist high before I put down the turning tools and pick up the shovel...:)

View attachment 61415
Well yeah, I can agree with that, Neil. Indeed, it's relatively small when compared to your pile of shavings! :)

When I say it's getting out of hand, I'm comparing it to the pile of shavings I usually get before I decide it's time to clean up. :)

-o-

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Odie

View attachment 61415
Haha! I don't think I've made that many shavings in the past decade! But, I usually just make small stuff ... and not very often.:(

I don't think I have ever used the 'snap' method to seat my chucks. Never felt that I needed it, especially since I only power sand. With hand sanding, it may come in handy since you do need to reverse your lathe. I did use one of the delrin washer things in between my chuck and the 'seat' on the headstock spindle. Think I had 2 of them, lost one and the other one eventually wore out, I think. With the Vicmark chucks, I just insert the chuck key, a hex wrench, into the hole and most of the time that is all I need. Once in a while I may need to use the spindle lock.

robo hippy

I basically use the flick of the wrist every time I mount a chuck on the lathe. the reason for that is that I learned and worked with metal turning lathes, you want the chuck to be seated properly.

If you do not do so you can end up with a very tight chuck on the metal lathe, (and also on a wood turning lathe) as for tightening of the chuck because of shocks, that does not happen if the chuck is installed properly, and the surfaces are properly machined and fitted.

The shocks of interrupted turning metal do not tighten the chuck much at all if any, I do have experience with that, the same with turning wood, it will not tighten the chuck if installed properly on a quality machined lathe and chuck.

Both surfaces must be clean and fit solidly together, that will prevent jamming of the chuck on the lathe spindle, so no foreign material between the finely machined faces.

I'm new and I'm trying a bunch of different things to get a feel for how to do things and to begin to understand my tools, process, finishes, and shapes... Over the last 2 weeks, I made 2 bowls from purchased kiln dried blanks, and turned 6 projects from green blanks that I made. 4 are for twice turning and I've put them up to dry. 2 are once turned live edge green bowls. It's going to be interesting to see how they warp over time. My first bowl and some of the rough turnings are attached.

Attachments

• 20240311_210209.jpg
    20240311_210209.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240311_143101.jpg
    20240311_143101.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240227_171523.jpg
    20240227_171523.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1stBowla.jpg
    1stBowla.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 33
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I basically use the flick of the wrist every time I mount a chuck on the lathe. the reason for that is that I learned and worked with metal turning lathes, you want the chuck to be seated properly.

If you do not do so you can end up with a very tight chuck on the metal lathe, (and also on a wood turning lathe) as for tightening of the chuck because of shocks, that does not happen if the chuck is installed properly, and the surfaces are properly machined and fitted.

The shocks of interrupted turning metal do not tighten the chuck much at all if any, I do have experience with that, the same with turning wood, it will not tighten the chuck if installed properly on a quality machined lathe and chuck.

Both surfaces must be clean and fit solidly together, that will prevent jamming of the chuck on the lathe spindle, so no foreign material between the finely machined faces.
Sort of the same reason I use the flick - on my particular HF lathe if I just thread the chuck on and snug it up , the chuck can have a very slight wobble (about .002" - After hours of inspection, traced back to unevenly cut spindle threads once I got a 1x8 thread repair die threaded on, it was obvious!) which I almost eliminate with the "flick" (The spindle itself still has a slight runout but spin up the lathe to top speed with a light behind it, you can see the shadow of it) Either case as I mentioned, long as I am not too aggressive with the "flick", it pops loose easily with sort of the reverse - a sharp "pop" on whatever leverage you are applying to remove it breaks the slight bit of torque loose.

Nothing spectacular. Just playing with multi axis turning. This is my first parallel axis circular turning learning experience. It has plenty of insect tunnels and probably should be relegated to the designer firewood pile.
That said, it will probably end up as a candle holder. ;)
I love multiaxis work. Keep innovating.

Back