• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hickory Bowl
Don Leydens

Hickory Bowl

This is another piece of firewood (among many)that another neighbor gave me. Just couldn't resist turning some of it. This piece was given back to the neighbor for a thank you. They're buying a South Western style house soon, and I thought this might fit in somewhere. It's SO hard to burn anything that's wood!
9" wide by 4" tall. Finished with Tung Oil and Beall buffed.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
very nice

Nice save Don. That hickory sure looks nice & that looks like a perfect shape for the southwest home.

You're undoubtedly a man with a lot of determination to turn out such beautiful pieces from hickory. I have tried two or three hickory burl-like growths from a tree I salvaged for lumber a few years ago. Gave up on all of them. I love hickory for flat work. Beautiful wood as you have demonstrated several times. But I don't have the staying power to turn it.

Thanks so much guys!
This piece did have some knots (that's why I picked it) with some cracks in them before I even started to turn it. CA glued them and they all held up just fine. It sure is hard wood, but some sharp tools and a steady rest (just in case) helped a lot.
Thanks again, Don L.

Gorgeous piece Don! That will fit in his new home beautifully.Good job with the photo.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename