• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
3 Pieces of Firewood
Don Leydens

3 Pieces of Firewood

A neighbor recently gave me some more firewood. This was North Carolina Sweet Gum. As I was getting ready to toss it in the fire I noticed what looked like spalting and decided to take it down to the shop and check it out.
Well, here are a few simple pieces turned from it. I gave the wife of the doner one also. They were amazed that this was their lousy firewood and told me to take as much as I wanted. I have a lot now (including some huge ones). Seems I have a hard time burning wood! Have some good neighbors too!
All comments welcome and thanks for looking, Don L.
Thanks guys! It's so hard to burn wood when you think there could be something inside. Gum is pretty much a throw away wood down here, but the spalting made all the difference.
Thanks again, Don L.

You don't usually find sweet gum this pretty. I usually use sweet gum for pieces I'm going to color or dye. Very nice pieces, and I'm sure the donors were very pleased.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename