• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What would you price would you suggest for this turning

I had a lot of interest in my turnings but I not sure what they are worth, or what price to ask! Wondering how to price this out
I really don’t keep track of the time since I build these a few hours at a time I’ll cut a glue sometimes then leave till the next time nothing on tv.
I am new to selling art work !
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpeg
    IMG_4135.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 54
How to price your work has been a periodic source of discussion on the forum. It's also covered at symposia from time to time, but that doesn't help you here. I suggest you use the Search feature to quickly get many useful responses to your question.

Since you are done with it, you should know your exact labor. Then add in the material cost, and all you shop overhead (electricity, insurance, sandpaper, finish, etc...) Since you know everything except for what labor rate you want to charge, it should be an easy task.

I had a recent chance to find out the worth of 2 bowls 8" and 10" .
And two platters 10 " and 13".
My girlfriends quilting guild was having their annual Quilt show.
And a silent auction along with the exhibited quilts. So my gal asked me to put
Some of my turning in the silent auction . So ok I said and asked Linda to
Pick . And she selected 4 items.
She picked a map!e platter, a maple bowl, a Russian olive bowl I had gold gilted
On the bottom and blue gilt on top. The last item a 12 in in walnut black p!atter with Incred
Markings.....I was in love with that walnut piece and had the sky is the limit hopes for
That piece , I really did not want that walnut p!after ever to leave my house.
But along she went as the fate full day of the show was upon us.
The show was Thursday, Friday, Saturday was the last day of the silent auction. At 3pm
The winner were to be announced
I had no idea what was to happen.
Now I was donating to the guild all the winning bids.so I was not making any looks
Which I thought was great anyway.

And I knew my favorite piece would break the bank.........wrong!!!!

The Russian Olive went for $79, a bowl went for $50 another bowl for $39
And my fave walnut beauty went for $35. Lowest of all

But I was happy as I really was glad to make some money for the guild
And I was happy they did not know of the AAW forum and these beautiful pieces of art
Or they prob would thrown My stuff out. Haha

Which just goes to show!!!!!
"
C'est la vie say the o!d folks which goes to show you never can tell "

Michael Lyle

True story ! I $#:t you not!

Last edited:
My local area has a craft show every year and people we're balking at prices that hardly paid my wood cost. Everyone picked up my stuff and loved the look and feel but no one wanted to pay.
I did make enough to pay the table price. Different places and type of show effects the price.

And I knew my favorite piece would break the bank.........wrong!!!!
I’ve had this experience several times as well. Donating to a local fund raiser only to see the piece go for far less than I would have been able to sell it for. But I’ve also had the opposite. All depends on the audience.
I went to a two year technical forestry school in upstate New York, The New York State Ranger School. This summer was my class’ 50th reunion. I’ve donated bowls in the past to the reunion auction, and they’ve gone for decent prices, considering the small group and the employment level of most of the alumni. Anticipating my 50th reunion, and wanting to do something a bit more special, I asked the school if they could send me a piece of wood from the school forest to turn. I suggested a block 12”x12”x5 1/2” which would just fit in a USPS flat rate priority mail box. I received a nice piece of cherry in December and turned this bowl. After turning away some defects, it wound up being 10 1/2” x 4”. I was very gratified when it was one of the final pieces auctioned, and went for the high price of the night at $155. Certainly not a fortune by city gallery standards, but enough to make me feel proud of the contribution.
IMG_4950.jpegIMG_4907.jpeg

location, location, location.
flea markets
vs.
art galleries where you are vetted.
both have a price point, other than turners, few know the effort and cost made in creating it and even fewer will pay good money.
Why do you turn? peace of mind, business, get out of the house, etc. Only you know the answer.
There is no magic answer, I turn for bearhugs and cookies. they make me fat and happy.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Very common question but no common answer. It all depends on where you are selling and why you are selling. The price I can get at a local rural TN craft show is very different than the price I can get online and the price I can get at a gallery. Are you selling to find a home for the pieces, enjoy making them and it would be nice to get some $ for your effort and cover a bit of supplies cost? Or, are you selling because it's a source of income and covering costs plus a bit of profit is a goal. Answering these helps get you started then you just have to find a place to sell and start. Customers will let you know quickly if you're too high or too low. My observation is more often than not turners price lower than the market they are in will support.

Always a guessing game. Where I am, I would be lucky go get $100 for that piece, which is pennies on the dollar for that type of work. Where you are, in New York, you should be able to get several times that amount. There are always people who want Ikea prices for solid wood furniture, or pieces like that one. One reason I gave up on making "fancy" stuff was that it just didn't sell well for me. I guess also, I am not very good at it either, and never developed the eye for fancy details. I am also a terrible salesman. Plain and simple pieces take way less time to make as well.

robo hippy

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Are you selling to find a home for the pieces, enjoy making them and it would be nice to get some $ for your effort and cover a bit of supplies cost?
Even if this is your answer, look around (art / craft markets, galleries or craft stores, turning club, etc) and don't undercut other artists selling similar (or less well made) items. Be fair to yourself and to them.
If it's priced right, there's someone out there who wants it and will pay. The challenge is finding that person.

Beautiful work! I did a similar compass rose design in a neighbor's front porch (deck with a tree thru it that had to be removed) and my wife has been pushing for more examples of it ever since. Well done.

I have trouble with pricing stuff as well. Sometimes I will pick a figure and ask myself "If I come home with $XX for it, will I be happy or feel cheated?" Then I adjust the figure and repeat. I have only a few pieces that I thought I'd never consider selling, but after this exercise, if there is someone willing to pay stupid prices for them, I can let them go.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Dave Landers touched on the point I wanted to post - Whatever it is, from artwork to utility pieces, they are worth what someone else will pay for it.

The ideal case is where both the buyer and the seller end the transaction feeling like they made an excellent bargain!

I'll often have pieces I don't think much of and did not take much time to make sell for more money than a well thought out design that took a ton of work to make... As well, over the years (3 years now) that I've regularly been vendoring at various local markets I have found that the audience is variable as well as the price they'll pay.

One week, I might sell a bunch of bowls and turned stuff, the next week I sell nothing, but I manage to sell things like the crates I make (they are not even nicely finished or pretty) to carry my wood items into the market, or other flatwork.

As well, One week I might see several people admiring my work and saying "your prices are too low!" (though they don't really buy anything) and the next week, the crowd that comes by thinks I am overpriced! (without even changing my price tags between markets)

This has been a tough year. My sales, with a similar schedule of shows, is about 50% of last year. Many lookers, not many willing to lay out the $. I think it is being impacted by the unsettled political situation right now as well as folks being impacted by the cost of everything. No one NEEDS a wood turning and many people are faced with really tight budgets.

I turn because I enjoy the hobby, and I enjoy meeting people at the vender events. I try to price my pieces to be fair with other turners in the area and the positive comments I receive are nourishment for my soul.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Tough question to answer. Price for art pieces is so multi-faceted, much more so than strict utilitarian items where a formula might get you most of the way there. Aside from the things mentioned here, name recognition goes a long way. The more well known you are in a given market, the high price your pieces will fetch. I won’t mention numbers, but the least I’ve sold something for was in a silent auction, and the most was someone that reached out directly because I made something that fit his niche.

I'm a hobby turner that makes stuff purely to suit myself. I live on a small rural island accessible by ferry only. Two or three times a year I participate in the Artists Studio Tour here on the island. While I don't need to make a living at this, its nice to cover costs and stash some away for the occasional trip. I make an assortment of things - from utility bowls and platters and cooking chop sticks to specialized, unique embellished bowl sets with innovative closures (Travelin' Bowls), salt vaults with inlays/inserts, magnetic closures and Memory Keepers (embellished lidded bowls with custom closures). There are usually a few pepper grinders and wine stoppers to go with the utility stuff, and some extra long chopsticks that serious cooks seem to appreciate. Premium Crush-Grind grinder mechanisms and stainless wine stopper hardware only - to give me a range of items and prices.

I separate my work into three groups for pricing - pure utility, embellished pieces, and those that I'd really prefer not to sell yet (I do like to live with some of my pieces for a while before finding a suitable forever home for them).

The utility bowls are fairly simple to price. I look at a couple of the bowl mills (there's one in Alaska and one in Vermont I believe) and take their prices based on size as a base. I check some other people that sell online whose work I admire and consider to be similar to what I produce, and, if necessary, adjust that base. I then add time/materials involved for embellishments and a premium because there's a big difference between the mills 'last is same as the first' style. Figured wood adds another factor to the total. By now, I'm well over that base on most items.

Then there are those pieces that I think of more like children than products. I'll take the price I get from the above excesize and double or triple it. These get set off on their own section. I include them incase someone wants to commission something similar. They also give me something to talk about all day long as people come and go.

Labor Day weekend was the last Artists Studio Tour weekend - going through the usual exercise as above my pricing was higher than I'd ever been in previous tours. Surprisingly, Saturday was like a swarm of locusts descended on our remote part of the island. They nearly cleaned me out. By the end of Sunday (the tours are typically two days long) I was taking commissions for stuff I was showing on my iPad. All those pieces I priced not to sell found new homes.

The takeaway? Don't undervalue your work. I was surprised at the range of people that came in - a high proportion or buyers were locals. Typically, in the past, these guys were looking for bargains or special pricing since they're locals...this time they didn't seem to mind paying what I felt my work was worth. Do good work, take pride in what you produce and word gets around.

Oh, and there's added value in having a story to go with every piece – where the wood came from, what kind of figure and why, how the original idea came to be, what's the next iteration going to be?

I had a lot of interest in my turnings but I not sure what they are worth, or what price to ask! Wondering how to price this out
I really don’t keep track of the time since I build these a few hours at a time I’ll cut a glue sometimes then leave till the next time nothing on tv.
I am new to selling art work !
Thanks for your help!
First, I’d like to congratulate you on your work—it looks neat and very well-made. I also find myself in a similar situation, and it’s challenging to determine the right price. Pricing is subjective and depends largely on whether the product is part of a production line or a unique, one-of-a-kind piece. There’s a different feeling in both situations, as others have mentioned, and it’s crucial where the piece is exhibited and how it’s marketed.

One method that can help is to look for similar pieces in the market to get a balanced idea of pricing.

What I decided to do to make this viable was to create a line of products with uncompromising quality but simple enough that I can calculate the hours invested and compare prices with similar pieces in the market. For my premium pieces, which have taken weeks or even months to create, I treat them as exhibition pieces, allowing customers to appreciate what can be achieved with wood. In these cases, the price is less important—if it sells, great; if not, it serves as an eye-catching piece.

Even if this is your answer, look around (art / craft markets, galleries or craft stores, turning club, etc) and don't undercut other artists selling similar (or less well made) items. Be fair to yourself and to them.
If it's priced right, there's someone out there who wants it and will pay. The challenge is finding that person.
Your comment appears from various people every time price is brought up. The challenge of finding the right person and the right price is the basic dilemma for all retail sales. But only charging a price so I don't dilute the art market does really not enter my mind. In Central IL, I have very little competition. There is only 1 gallery selling wood objects. Who would I be undercutting by selling an item at a price that actually sold. If priced right someone out there who wants it and will pay is what I am doing. I don't want to wait to show my work to thousands of people to find one that will pay $200 for a bowl. I showed my work every first Friday of the month for 4 years. I found ONE that would pay a decent price on custom orders. He spent thousands with me, but only on very specific work that he wanted. He ignored every piece I made to please myself. Same thing happened when I made furniture. I'd have an entire booth filled with work, but only sold custom made furniture after the show. Finding that one person that will buy something you already made at least doubles the odds against selling, maybe more.

I've never been anywhere near where you live but I googled it and it looks like a nice, upper middle class community. I'm sure there are at least a few co-op art galleries in your town. Some require that you spend a few days a month there but some will just let you put a few pieces in for a 50% commission. And, those people working there will have a pretty good idea what it would sell for. Give it a try. If nothing else just browse their gallery and see how comparative pieces are priced. But pricing is always relative to where you're selling.

Back