• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What would you price would you suggest for this turning

Hello Pat!

I learned that platter base technique many years ago from the amazing Frank Penta (incredibly creative woodturner, educator, and wonderfully energetic and generous person!) at one of his platter courses at John C Campbell. (I hope posting this much detail is not inappropriate for this thread. Now that I've written it, I'm wondering if it might have been better in a separate thread in a different sub-forum.)

It’s a multi-axis turning - basically drill four holes in what will be the top of the platter. Each is sized to fit what is often called a “woodworm” screw. One hole is in the exact center to turn the outside diameter, most of the bottom, and the chuck recess for eventually turning the top. The other three are in a circle a short distance (1/2" for this platter) from the center, spaced 120 degrees apart. These three holes will let you turn the multi-axis base.

John,
I appreciate such a detailed answer!
I’ll have to give this a try. And, look up Frank Penta. Such great inspiration in this forum 🙂
Thanks,
Pat

Dave Landers touched on the point I wanted to post - Whatever it is, from artwork to utility pieces, they are worth what someone else will pay for it.

The ideal case is where both the buyer and the seller end the transaction feeling like they made an excellent bargain!

I'll often have pieces I don't think much of and did not take much time to make sell for more money than a well thought out design that took a ton of work to make... As well, over the years (3 years now) that I've regularly been vendoring at various local markets I have found that the audience is variable as well as the price they'll pay.

One week, I might sell a bunch of bowls and turned stuff, the next week I sell nothing, but I manage to sell things like the crates I make (they are not even nicely finished or pretty) to carry my wood items into the market, or other flatwork.

As well, One week I might see several people admiring my work and saying "your prices are too low!" (though they don't really buy anything) and the next week, the crowd that comes by thinks I am overpriced! (without even changing my price tags between markets)
That’s why I refuse to sell at craft fairs, I would rather not sell anything to strangers!
I turn for the fun of it and enjoy trying new things as I learn more from my peers!
Most I sell to family!

I’ve had this experience several times as well. Donating to a local fund raiser only to see the piece go for far less than I would have been able to sell it for. But I’ve also had the opposite. All depends on the audience.
I went to a two year technical forestry school in upstate New York, The New York State Ranger School. This summer was my class’ 50th reunion. I’ve donated bowls in the past to the reunion auction, and they’ve gone for decent prices, considering the small group and the employment level of most of the alumni. Anticipating my 50th reunion, and wanting to do something a bit more special, I asked the school if they could send me a piece of wood from the school forest to turn. I suggested a block 12”x12”x5 1/2” which would just fit in a USPS flat rate priority mail box. I received a nice piece of cherry in December and turned this bowl. After turning away some defects, it wound up being 10 1/2” x 4”. I was very gratified when it was one of the final pieces auctioned, and went for the high price of the night at $155. Certainly not a fortune by city gallery standards, but enough to make me feel proud of the contribution.
View attachment 66876View attachment 66877
b

Back