• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What Wood Smells the Best to You?

I'm a big fan of Olive wood, but, as a frequent pen turner, I find Ebonite, (OK,not a wood!), really interesting (probably not very healthy though!)

Different strokes! I've made some pipe stems from ebonite rod and my garage stinks for days each time. Working with it on the lathe isn't that bad, but the rough shaping of a pipe stem is mostly done with a belt sander and stinks of burning rubber.

Olive - wine corks
Cocobolo - Very spicy
Walnut, Cherry - reminds me of early wood working projects - memories
Pine sap - if it just wasn’t sticky
Tulipwood - I think memories again

Hemlock. It smells spicier than pine and milder than cedar. Like a pine forest at Christmas time.

It tears out if you look at it wrong!

Tib G Shaw

AAW Staff
In the AAW Gallery of Wood Art's education room we have a number of wood samples in small tins for people to smell. It's often a surprise to guests that woods have such a diverse range of aromas.
A few of my top likes are hinoki (Japanese cypress) and palo santo. Lignum vitae and cherry are up there too. But for a favorite I would need to say the sweet aroma of green-turned birch.
(Least favorite? Fresh elm...)

West Coast cedars, Alaskan Yellow, Port Orford, Western Red, any of 'em.
White cedar that grows in MN and north into western Ontario east smells the same as the other true cedars ( Note the eastern red cedars or aromatic cedars scientific name is juniper Virginia or something and the smell is totally different )

Japanese Lilac Tree is enchantingly sweet..........and different from any of the Lilac bushes.........I first got a log in 2009 and just recently got some more log chunks from the City Forester. It darkens beautifully with oil and sun exposure.

JLT BOWL 1.JPGwwwJLT trees 2.JPGwwwJLT 2023.JPG

when we cleared an area for our house the excavator piled the logs and stumps off in the edge of the woods. this included several sassafras trees 6 to 10 inches in diamter. For monthe the intense sweet fragrance of the sassafrass roots was almost intoxicating. the following year when i got around to cutting them up, the cot roots started the intense fragrance all over again. i chopped a piece of root and made iced sassafras tea. soo good.

I had forgotten, but I did like Imbuya. Especially if the table saw blade was getting a bit dull, it kind of reminded me of hashish.... Haven't smoked anything in 35 years, but I do remember that smell....

robo hippy

when we cleared an area for our house the excavator piled the logs and stumps off in the edge of the woods. this included several sassafras trees 6 to 10 inches in diamter. For monthe the intense sweet fragrance of the sassafrass roots was almost intoxicating. the following year when i got around to cutting them up, the cot roots started the intense fragrance all over again. i chopped a piece of root and made iced sassafras tea. soo good.

I cut down a couple of smallish sassafras a few months ago (maybe 10" diameter but 40' tall). I only turned one bowl with it. I'm about ready to give it another go.

It's hard to beat Cherry. Koa smells great but the smell reminds me of how much money is hitting the floor. If I got free Koa it might feel different. On the other end of the scale is pin oak..... nasty.

Which wood do you like the smell of the most? I'm pretty fond of cherry. I have some sassafras but I haven't used it enough to comment on the spicy smell.
Here in eastern North Carolina, we have a lot of sweetgum and I turn a lot of it. I like the smell of sweet gum in both the green and dry state. It is not the easiest wood to work (twist, turn, shrink, cup, bow and crack) but it cuts like butter and has some amazing figures.

Here around Laredo, the "monte", or wilderness, turns white with the blooms of Blackbrush, Acacia or Vachellia ridigula. It grows very slowly because we don't get a whole lot of rain. But the wood, especially the bark, when you get it into a glowing ember, is the sweetest incense kind of smell I know. Asher, you made me laugh in mentioning mesquite. If you go to south Laredo on Sunday, the neighborhoods are thick with mesquite fire smoke of barbecues, almost like the whole area is on fire.

I know it might sound strange but my favorite wood smell is Ash. I cut down a huge Arizona Ash a couple of years ago and processed the whole thing. My first time taking a tree to turned items. Now, every time I turn Ash it reminds me of that first experience.

Website
tamperista.com
I know it might sound strange but my favorite wood smell is Ash. I cut down a huge Arizona Ash a couple of years ago and processed the whole thing. My first time taking a tree to turned items. Now, every time I turn Ash it reminds me of that first experience.
Well I had to look that up Arizona Ash: seems like there is some competition between the ash of Texas and the ash of Arizona! Up here in Ithaca we're drowning in dead ash from the borers and the fungi, so much that you can't take a walk in the woods without hearing an ash topple over. I split some of it for fast-burning firewood, good for starting a quick fire so you can switch over to oak or hickory in the stove.

I have turned handles of ash, all very dry from being in the shop, where I keep it between 35% and 50% humidity. I never noticed any distinctive aroma, but I understand the associative power of first experiences and aromas. That tree stump probably smelled pretty good when the tree hit the ground without taking out any buildings or yer pickup.

Back