• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What Wood Smells the Best to You?

Which wood do you like the smell of the most? I'm pretty fond of cherry. I have some sassafras but I haven't used it enough to comment on the spicy smell.

I have yet to get my hands on some cacao wood..... I do like the smell of cherry. Myrtle/california bay laurel can have a sweet spicy smell. Good fresh maple smells kind of yeasty. Sassafras can be overpowering, but the smell goes away quickly. Turned some butternut once and it smelled like vinegar. Kind of like cookies, I don't really have a favorite, except for fresh out of the oven....

robo hippy

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
That's a tough one. Very fresh Black Oak has the smell of peaches. I recently turned some spalted mango that smelled a bit like...mango. Black Cherry has a very nice smell, like others have mentioned. Camphor is pleasant albeit strong, as is fatwood (very resinous Pine). I like the smell of aromatic cedar, but it gets to be a bit overpowering for me. Patagonian Rosewood is very floral and pleasant.

White ash has a smell that reminds me of orange pekoe tea. Cherry is always pleasant and I really don't mind walnut. I think bocote smells like pickles and I like pickles. Alaskan Cedar is great for about ten minutes then it gets overwhelming.

I enjoy White Oak for the spice.
I haven't turned olivewood, camphor, or some of the other woods mentioned, but I love the smell of white oak. It reminds me of the brandy barrels my dad used to get at work. He was a chemist for Parke Davis (now Pfizer) and they used brandy in their cough syrups. Employees could buy the empty barrels for just a small shipping fee. One time, he lucked out and got a barrel that still had almost 10 gallons still in it. :p

The few pieces of Etimoe that I turned had a nice musky, earthy tone. I have a couple pieces of apple that smell good too. Powered helmet stops most of the smells so hard to enjoy.

Ash! I know, that's a strange answer. I think it has to do with the way your mind can assign memories with a particular smell. Turning Ash is a pleasant smell that triggers pleasant memories.
I feel the same way about walnut. I spent a lot of time in the basement with my dad, watching him make custom gun stocks. He had a way of covertly teaching me stuff by example and any useful skills I have are thanks to him. The first time I turned some walnut, I had tears in my eyes because it took me back to those days as soon as I smelled it. He died way too early and I still miss him.

I also like the smell of cherry and red oak, which is good because we have acres of woods behind us with a lot of both, so I have more than I could ever use just from harvesting downed trees. I've turned a few pieces of catalpa that has a curious aroma that reminds me of burlap, that I find pleasant.

Back