• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What Wood Smells the Best to You?

I know it might sound strange but my favorite wood smell is Ash. I cut down a huge Arizona Ash a couple of years ago and processed the whole thing. My first time taking a tree to turned items. Now, every time I turn Ash it reminds me of that first experience.
I think it smells a bit like loose leaf black tea. Very nice.

I found a country table top on Marketplace for $10 and I’ve used it to make several bowls from boards. The woman selling it said it’s old and was her grandparent’s table.

IMG_9351.jpeg
IMG_9502.jpegIMG_9499.jpeg

I don’t know what type of wood it is but her grandmother must have sat at this table getting dressed every morning because the table top and everything made from it smells like my grandmothers perfume.

I found a country table top on Marketplace for $10 and I’ve used it to make several bowls from boards. The woman selling it said it’s old and was her grandparent’s table.

View attachment 61670
View attachment 61671View attachment 61672

I don’t know what type of wood it is but her grandmother must have sat at this table getting dressed every morning because the table top and everything made from it smells like my grandmothers perfume.
This style of finger jointing is more 'modern'. The wood is most likely rubber tree. They are good for about 20 years and then are cut down. Open pores is typical. They don't waste anything... There are a lot of things out there made from the rubber trees.

robo hippy

This style of finger jointing is more 'modern'. The wood is most likely rubber tree. They are good for about 20 years and then are cut down. Open pores is typical. They don't waste anything... There are a lot of things out there made from the rubber trees.

robo hippy
Good to know, thank you. I had no idea what type of wood it was. All I knew was that it was fairly hard.

On a quick search the majority of sites claim a Janka hardness of around 900 for rubber tree, but at least one site claims 1700. It seemed somewhere between those two when sanding it.

Last edited:
Good to know, thank you. I had no idea what type of wood it was. All I knew was that it was fairly hard.

On a quick search the majority of sites claim a Janka hardness of around 900 for rubber tree, but at least one site claims 1700. It seemed somewhere between those two when sanding it.
We bought a series of distressed furniture from a guy north of Houston made of similar wood, shipped in from India. I modified some of it and found it the hardness varied a bit, often between two different pieces or where the wood was used on the same piece. Mango is commonly used and a bit harder that Rubberwood, but just looking at the surface they look quite similar and both are found in Asia. From what I understand, the Rubberwood has more distinctive growth rings than the Mango. Both were much harder to bore through with a hole saw than I expected for such an open grain, relatively light wood. Next time you go to IKEA look at their cutting boards and such. It will look quite similar.

Back