• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What is a turned object?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
So would an 19th century lathe with mechanical shifting chuck that permits creating oval picture frames on a lathe fit the definition. It isn't technically multi axis. The axis remains the same.
Sure. Notice the definition only mentions "Symmetrical" it does NOT say "Round", so it would still fit that definition. an oval done on a single axis (or multi axis for that matter) is still symmetrical, no?

Why is this forum giving so much consideration to the AAW's definition of woodturning? Doing a bit of Googling you might conclude the all inclusive definition was out of date in 1819 when a lathe type machine was invented to produce non-symmetrical turned objects without hand held tools. Were all the thousands of businesses in existence over the years wrong in describing themselves as woodturning businesses since they didn't subscribe to the AAW definition? To be reasonably profitable in the woodturning business these days it's economically impractical to adhere to the definition. Seems like a good many of the most talented turners by definition have to supplement their income by selling tools or teaching.

Last edited:
Guess what? I just purchased a Shark HD510 CNC and it comes with a 4th axis. I will put one of my small chucks on it and as it turns the wood on it and removes it will I call it woodturning? I have fought the dark side but alas I have succumbed to it .

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Seems like a good many of the most talented turners by definition have to supplement their income by selling tools or teaching.

^^^^^ For those whose purpose is to make a living, this statement appears to be based in fact. ^^^^^

The truth of the matter is there is a continuing supply of new turners who buy tools, and seek instruction. They come and go on a regular basis, so there is a constant supply of new turners, generally older, and have money to spend on personal projects. If this were not the case, these "talented woodturners" Doug speaks of would have no market for their "uniquely designed" proprietary tools, or teaching new turners.

I just ran a search for "wood bowl" on Etsy, and came back with over 72,000 hits! You can see that the market is very saturated, and this is with mostly traditionally turned bowls....simple, but saleable to limited market of buyers who don't want to spend much money. Many of these turners are from foreign countries, where living expenses are much lower than it is here in the USA.....which makes it possible to seek a living selling inexpensive bowls. Traditionally turned bowls without the intricate hand done embellishments, are about the only way to make any kind of living doing this. This is because it does lend itself to a "production" type operation.....which, by the way, is less satisfying, although a greater financial return potential.

For most non-traditional turned bowls that involve finely crafted embellishments, the focus is predominantly on art, rather than making money. Because they have a greater "artistic" aspect, there is even less of a market for it. Many of these kind of turners don't care about, or want to make a living.....because they find their personal satisfaction in pursuing their "art". They also spend quite a bit of money, where there is no, or extremely limited financial returns. Regardless of that, they can find great personal satisfaction and recognition within the woodturning "community".

-o-

Guess what? I just purchased a Shark HD510 CNC and it comes with a 4th axis. I will put one of my small chucks on it and as it turns the wood on it and removes it will I call it woodturning? I have fought the dark side but alas I have succumbed to it .
Good to hear this Bill. Can we look forward to oval bowls and other objects impossible to do by hand turning?

Michael, the way I phrased that it was easy to misinterpret. What I meant was oval bowls and a separate category of impossible to turn objects like my multi-axis turnings with 50 offsets per inch of length.

offset centers.JPG

Back