• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning between centers

Hello
I am New here, but I have been playing with the lathe for some 40+ years now.
I am a hobbyist only. But My question comes from Why do I not see any spindle turnings posted anywhere?
Bowls, Boxes, and platters are all that anyone is posting.
Where I make chair and staircase parts, walking sticks, handles, finals and re-production work.
here are a few photos of things that I like to turn.
C.A.G.

Attachments

• Christmas presants 2023.jpg
    Christmas presants 2023.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Scotts cane1RED.jpg
    Scotts cane1RED.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Smoketree light2RED.jpg
    Smoketree light2RED.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 44
  • spindles from templatesRED.jpg
    spindles from templatesRED.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 43
I am a hobbyist only. But My question comes from Why do I not see any spindle turnings posted anywhere?
I would have to agree -- bowls, hollow forms, and platters are the overwhelming turnings posted. I do a lot of spindle turning and multiaxis work but don't post much of what I do. It's good to see some spindles.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hello
I am New here, but I have been playing with the lathe for some 40+ years now.
Where I make chair and staircase parts, walking sticks, handles, finals and re-production work.
here are a few photos of things that I like to turn.
C.A.G.
Welcome. There are a few spindles turners here. Also quite a few who use spindle turning in their work.
You should post in the gallery.

I turn some spindles. There are quite a few posts of finials.
A few of treenware and pepper mills. A few posts of balusters

bowls are popular, boxes many of which use spindle skills are popular

There are many pieces posted that combine spindle turning with other skills.
I do spheres, suspended spherical forms, napkin rings, ornaments to name a few that have a lot of spindle turning in them.

This ornament is all spindle turning when the holes are drilled before it goes on the latheIMG_2664.jpeg

All the turning on these napkin rings is spindle turningIMG_3514.jpeg

Goblets after hollowing the cup are all spindle turningIMG_1498.jpeg

All the outside of this form is spindle turningIMG_6530.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Curt! Glad you joined. I think that there are periods in the gallery where there are a lot of spindle pieces posted, and then times where there are primarily bowls or hollowforms. Like Al said, a lot of folks use spindle work in their pieces (but maybe not exclusively). I’ve been making a lot of multi-axis hearts lately which are about half spindle work:

AB96E9DE-E512-4BD4-837D-8C856D7EE623.jpeg
F4509B5F-4465-4435-92BC-47EC0A42B715.jpeg

I also do a lot of egg pieces.

22AD165D-9EA4-40E9-ABAE-8A83BEF88717.png
ECDDB822-A431-4609-BE2D-699F34859D5A.jpeg

That said, I don’t have very many traditional spindle projects posted, but all of these require spindle turning skills. I will admit that I do find a different type of satisfaction with bowls, and they fit some of my current embellishment interests well. Like Bob (R) said above, I also enjoy seeing spindle pieces posted to the gallery. Yours look very very nice in your intro post. I hope you post to the gallery whenever you make your next one/batch!

Many do suggest that for beginners, they should learn spindles first. Me, I turned maybe 3 spindles, and then went straight to bowls. I do turn a fair number of lidded boxes though.

robo hippy

Wow!
Hello Everyone.
Thank you for the reply's.
Those pix's are very nice (Huckenbery).
Michael A. the multi axis harts are also very nice. (I would like to see more on how you do those.)
Robo. I'm not a beginner to wood turning, but I too am not into Bowl turning. even though I have done a fair share of boxes in the past.

Today my passion is turning Bone.
Here are a few pix's of what I am doing today.

Attachments

• Mar 26 bone handles4.jpg
    Mar 26 bone handles4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • bone sprial22RED.jpg
    bone sprial22RED.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Sunday bone6.jpg
    Sunday bone6.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Bone handles 1-10.jpg
    Bone handles 1-10.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 27

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Those are great Curt. I’ve become increasingly interested in turning/carving bone. Can I ask where you source it? And if there is a preferred animal? Antler vs other bone?

Those are great Curt. I’ve become increasingly interested in turning/carving bone. Can I ask where you source it? And if there is a preferred animal? Antler vs other bone?
Hello
Its my own design/processing method of making bone into something more useable, for larger things like these bone handles.
I use cow bone. sold as pet/choose (dog bone's) sold at most pet food supply stores.
I have 4 videos on the process. called Bone turning 101, Its on a Australian web site. the original videos were made as a supplement material for people in the Legacy Ornamental Mills users group.
who wanted to try the process.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ7gn-shVYA&t=15s

there are 4 parts and a stand alone video on turning with my home made copy mill/lathe.
If you have any questions, Please ask. Over the last few years, I and this process has gotten much better.
Turning Bone has become my passion. I like the way it look and feel in my hands, as well as how it works. The hardest part is the processing of the bone, The turning is very rewarding.
On the good side for most handles it only takes appx. 2 bones to make a handle. (depending on the quality of the bone being processes.) In the videos I show the processing and what to
look out for.

C.A.G.

Attachments

• bone cutting23RED.jpg
    bone cutting23RED.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 19
  • bone cutting 5RED.jpg
    bone cutting 5RED.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 18
  • bone gifts1RED.jpg
    bone gifts1RED.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 3 bones1.jpg
    3 bones1.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 19
Curt and R Hendrickson, if you want to see some spindle work in the gallery, you should post some pictures of your work there. I'd be interested in seeing some of what you're making. It's not like there is a rule against it, all pictures that are family friendly are welcome. What you see is what users feel like uploading.

@Curt George thanks a lot for the information and resources. I’m looking forward to the deep dive. Cheers!
You can e-mail me any time. curt.george@yahoo.com I should also be here for at least a while. ;-) As I said bone is my passion at this time.
It doesn't take a lot to get me talking about something I truly enjoy. Any turning/ lathe work, will do the trick.
Have a good night.

C.A.G.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Err, I kind of want to see some spindle turning photos that are not family friendly now :p
LOL.. I used to make Garden Dibbles (for bulb planting) and 8 times out of 10, even with the explanation printed out on the price tag on it, people got the wrong (x-rated) idea for what it was for, either that or my lathe skills were not sufficiently good at matching the pattern I had printed out for it...

Edit: Somehow my reply picked up the wrong response, edited to quote the correct one.

Attachments

• Sep bone 6 in all.JPG
    Sep bone 6 in all.JPG
    750 KB · Views: 22
  • Brad's table sideRED.jpg
    Brad's table sideRED.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 22
  • banksta pod bowlRED.jpg
    banksta pod bowlRED.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Sijo's cane4.JPG
    Sijo's cane4.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 21
Gonna bone up on the subject, Michael?
I really hope so. I will be all to glad to show people how I do what I do. My hope is that Others can take on what I've done, and move forward.
As I see it, its not competition, it's called Growth. Bone looks like Ivory, and feels good in the hand. and the truth is NO ONE uses bone anymore.
its both challenging and rewarding.
and I find it a LOT of Fun.

C.A.G.

I really hope so. I will be all to glad to show people how I do what I do. My hope is that Others can take on what I've done, and move forward.
As I see it, its not competition, it's called Growth. Bone looks like Ivory, and feels good in the hand. and the truth is NO ONE uses bone anymore.
its both challenging and rewarding.
and I find it a LOT of Fun.

C.A.G.
Curt, I think if you would like to show people how to do the type of turning and projects you do you should do a follow along in the projects threads. I think it would be interesting from what you have posted above. I watched your video and it looks interesting. I have made knife handles from deer antler, I agree nice to work with but the dust isn't nice.

Last edited:
Curt, I think if you would like to show people how to do the type of turning and projects you do you should do a follow along in the projects threads. I think it would be interesting from what you have posted above. I watched your video and it looks interesting. I have made knife handles from deer antler, I agree nice to work with but the dust isn't nice.
Well, Thank you Vincent.
I hope to have an article in print soon, and then I will do more posting of this process.
Im chomping at the bit to tell the world, but until... after I will, I honestly don't want to put the cart IN front of the horse. (so to speak.)

I will be posting other projects on this process pretty soon.
So there will be more to come.
thank you.

C.A.G.

Attachments

• disks drying Nov 23.jpg
    disks drying Nov 23.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 30

Tib G Shaw

AAW Staff
If you'd like to see more spindles, post them! All of the photos here would be great for the photo gallery, which is where we pull most of the images for the AAW Toolbox from. It would be a real plus to have more spindle turnings and traditional turnings to share with other turners.

Hey there Leo.
I agree that is why I started making my bone handles, by layering them together like plywood, I was able to make things that I could never have done with the bone as it is in its natural state.
I made this handle today. Not one of me best but you have to work with what you have. Over all I think its nice, the natural defects most people do not see, But Im hardest on my own work.

I like your mini bird house, thank you for sharing, If you don't mind I think I will try make one like it, I have a lot of scrap bone that I need to figure out what to do with them.

Have a good night.

C.A.G.

Attachments

• Dec bone.5.jpg
    Dec bone.5.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 24
Curt, very cool. Thanks for the video.
Thank you Rusty. Its all part for the learning curve, (so to speak.) Those video were done over 1-2yrs time span, for the Ornamental Mills users group (on Google.)
The more that I learn, then more that I can share.
My over all concept is by sharing we can all grow and learn form each other. My hope is someone will take what I've done and improve apron it.
If you have any question's or comments, I am always open to talk.

Have a good night.

C.A.G.

Thank you Rusty. Its all part for the learning curve, (so to speak.) Those video were done over 1-2yrs time span, for the Ornamental Mills users group (on Google.)
The more that I learn, then more that I can share.
My over all concept is by sharing we can all grow and learn form each other. My hope is someone will take what I've done and improve apron it.
If you have any question's or comments, I am always open to talk.

Have a good night.

C.A.G.
I couldn’t agree more. I have a couple of friends that are instructors at our club the have helped me grow a lot over the last two years. I have started doing demos at the club myself.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I always wonder about this myself. Being a mostly exclusive spindle turner (look in my gallery) I have wondered why not as many people have taken this skill and used it more widespread. I probably got it from my teacher, who, for four years taught me and my brother spindle work of all sorts, from boxes to ornaments even inside out turning. Of course some bowl turners are really good, many of which are on this Forum.

Good suggestion, but how's he going to convey the aroma of turning bone? It's an essential part of the experience and one you'll not soon forget!

Back