• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Karl Hansen for "Untitled Basket Illusion" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 7, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Texturing Woodturnings

I wrote this to show some of the tools and methods I use to add texture to woodturnings. It’s a rewrite of a doc I wrote maybe 10 years ago, updated to accompany a separate document on turning thin spindles for a recent demo.

Most, but not all of the examples concern spindles, things like wands and handles.

Perhaps someone will find it interesting, or even [gasp!] useful.

Corrections or suggestions for future updates are always welcome!

JKJ

Attachments

• Texturing and texturing tools_update_9-24_2_1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
I wrote this to show some of the tools and methods I use to add texture to woodturnings. It’s a rewrite of a doc I wrote maybe 10 years ago, updated to accompany a separate document on turning thin spindles for a recent demo.

Most, but not all of the examples concern spindles, things like wands and handles.

Perhaps someone will find it interesting, or even [gasp!] useful.

Corrections or suggestions for future updates are always welcome!

JKJ
Thank you JKJ. Very well done.

Thanks John, You da Man! As usual, your articles and handouts are the best out there. I don't know how you find the time to do all that you do.

Thanks John, You da Man! As usual, your articles and handouts are the best out there. I don't know how you find the time to do all that you do.

Why thank you for the kind feedback. I’ve learned how to go without sleep. I admit to getting a little more tired now than back when I was 73. 😅

My philosophy is to share as much as possible as often as possible. (and teaching is my favorite thing to do!)

JKJ

John, thank you for taking the time to put this together and then sharing it with us. I very much look forward to going through it again in detail and applying what you have captured in my own way

Thanks, all! Remember there are many other texturing methods I didn't mention. One of my favorites is cutting a number of shallow v-grooves close together, sometimes in several bands on the spindle. I've done this on small goblets and small bowls too but it's not so good if the wood warps even slightly (from stress relief or moisture change) before texturing. End grain turnings are USUALLY better about staying round!

JKJ

Back