• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flat or oval skew?

David, I have been playing around with the Shapton 16000 grit stone. Thus far, I can't tell any difference between one sharpened on that and then stropped, when compared to one that I sharpen to 8000 grit and then go through a progression of stropping compounds, stopping at 1 micron/15000 grit. They are really sharp, and I haven't cut myself yet.... I have played around with some figured big leaf maple chunks of firewood and made some spindles. Big leaf maple just likes to tear out, so there always seems to be some, but I am still pretty new to the skew....

robo hippy

David, I have been playing around with the Shapton 16000 grit stone. Thus far, I can't tell any difference between one sharpened on that and then stropped, when compared to one that I sharpen to 8000 grit and then go through a progression of stropping compounds, stopping at 1 micron/15000 grit. They are really sharp, and I haven't cut myself yet.... I have played around with some figured big leaf maple chunks of firewood and made some spindles. Big leaf maple just likes to tear out, so there always seems to be some, but I am still pretty new to the skew....

robo hippy
Thanks Reed, I'm not surprised that you found similar results from 15,000 and 16,000 as they are so close.
What I find interesting is that on my plane blades and chisels I go from 1000 grit diamond directly to the 16,000 skipping all the in between grits. Mind you that only for previously prepped blades.
To prep a blade there is a progression.

I think it was/is Rob Cosman who does that. I do have one of the Trend plates with 300 and 1000 grit. It is not nearly as dead flat as my DMT lapping plates. I still think in terms of sanding bowls where you step up previous grit plus half that number, so 120 to 180. Maybe I will change that, another experiment... Just don't think you can polish out 1000 grit scratches with a 16000 grit stone. I do have 3 stropping grits too. the black/800 or so grit for my skew chisels, and the 2 and 1 micron, with the 1 micron being about 15000 grit. For sure, getting that burr off is huge!

robo hippy

Back