• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carbide tipped scrapers which one?

After looking and searching about carbide scrapers before I take a decision I’d like to know your experience and advices (i would like to work small products like candle holders, tool handles, small boxes)

SIMPLE WOODTURNING TOOLS USA made, each gouge around $60 the set of tree $ 170 (square shaft).

https://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-...ab-9004-a2b9761e9fa7&pd_rd_i=B00IPPET68&psc=1

WOOD PECKERS ultra shear, each one between $100 and $129, it’s supposed to have nano tech in the cutter(clean cut) and the feature that you can rotate the shaft either direction in the fly and get a 45° degree flat side for shear.
Just one concern don’t know if I’m right but I see that the shaft has a triangle shape which could be uncomfortable?.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-...a1-b674-2f287df48b5a&pd_rd_i=B077H2S3F4&psc=1

ROBERT SORBY turn master, it uses one adapter that holds all type of RS cutters and it’s attached to the shaft.
You can get more adapters separately for each cutter and for easy change it also has the feature that rotates the cuter in the adaptors and get a 45° degree for shear scraping (you need to unscrew the adapter and change position)
I was about to for this option because the versatility and there was a set with one handle and 3 cutter for $104.
But then I read just one review that complains about the adapter that doesn’t let to be close to the work piece because it’s wider than the shaft (it make me sense)

Then I was about to go for the Simple woodturning tools but the shaft is square then I need to buy an extra gouge that has a round shaft for shear scraping.

I’m new in woodturning and I don’t know the value of that features if there’s a really better carbide technology

Please I’d like to hear from your experience and recommendations

Thank you in advance

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Check out Hunter Carbide tools. If your budget allows, that's what I'd get (I don't have any yet, but really want to get 2 or 3 of their styles...) John Lucas has some videos on youtube about the hunter tools- well worth watching. However, not sure if Hunter Carbides can be had "over there" in Peru... I have a Sorby (just a shear scraper) that I got that was supposed to help with bowl bottoms (Doesn't work that well for me) and I also got (when I was new to turning) a set of those Simple branded carbides (they were cheap, and as I discovered, not really suited to full size lathe work - I made some new handles and they work reasonably well in some places, but still not as good as any of my gouges and skews) , So you also want to pay close attention to the size of the tools (The square shafts make it hard in some spots like trying to go deep into a straight sided box, as the bottom of the bar interferes with cutting in smaller radius I.D.s)

I do not know your budget but Hunter carbides are the best. They are not cheap but well worth the cost. Viceroy is great for hollowing. There are many discussions of carbide on here just search. I think the Hercules is good for bowls.
Thank you, My wife just showed me the hunters ones, those look amazing and more versatile, now I don’t know wich number is more appropriate.

Check out Hunter Carbide tools. If your budget allows, that's what I'd get (I don't have any yet, but really want to get 2 or 3 of their styles...) John Lucas has some videos on youtube about the hunter tools- well worth watching. However, not sure if Hunter Carbides can be had "over there" in Peru... I have a Sorby (just a shear scraper) that I got that was supposed to help with bowl bottoms (Doesn't work that well for me) and I also got (when I was new to turning) a set of those Simple branded carbides (they were cheap, and as I discovered, not really suited to full size lathe work - I made some new handles and they work reasonably well in some places, but still not as good as any of my gouges and skews) , So you also want to pay close attention to the size of the tools (The square shafts make it hard in some spots like trying to go deep into a straight sided box, as the bottom of the bar interferes with cutting in smaller radius I.D.s)
Thank you, after my research and looking in more details the Robert Sorby is not any more my option, first impression was nice but maybe it’s no so practical, that’s why I was more convinced by the Woodpecker but after my wife showed me the hunters definitively those would be the ones.
Whan I buy in the states I do it through a courier and as Im getting your advices it looks like that is going to be a good investment.

For those products I would mostly use a skew, spindle gouge, and parting tool.
For the finish surface inside a box a I would use a #4 Hunter carbide after hollowing with the spindle gouge.
Thank you so much. I think for now I’ll start with carbide and then get hss gouges, grinding wheel and so on, please wich ones would be the equivalent for the skew and spindle (i see that woodpeckers has a detail one it could be like a skew? and haven’t seen that hunter tools carries detail and square point.

Thank you so much. I think for now I’ll start with carbide and then get hss gouges, grinding wheel and so on, please wich ones would be the equivalent for the skew and spindle (i see that woodpeckers has a detail one it could be like a skew? and haven’t seen that hunter tools carries detail and square point.
To my knowledge there is no carbide that performs like a skew. The square cutters may slightly act like a skew but will not do the work a skew will do and no where near as smooth. Hunter due to the cup in the cutter does not have a square or straight cutter. He did have a diamond for a short time but I don't think it performed to his specs. Hunter carbides can give a near skew like cut surface but as a final cut and can't get the v cuts and some others that a skew will do.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I only use the Hunter #4 and Hunter #2 have no experience with other carbides.

A friend who passed away a few years ago did all his work with carbides - he lacked the range of motion to use gouges - and accomplished very nice work using carbides. To do a turning I would do with a 3/8 spindle gouge he would use 6 - 8 carbide tools.
He would typically use several round carbides on a cove.
On a bead he would use a square and 2-3 pointed ones.
From watching him in demos it is certainly possible to get details using multiple carbides but he used 6-8 tools to do a job i would do with a spindle gouge.

To my knowledge there is no carbide that performs like a skew. The square cutters may slightly act like a skew but will not do the work a skew will do and no where near as smooth. Hunter due to the cup in the cutter does not have a square or straight cutter. He did have a diamond for a short time but I don't think it performed to his specs. Hunter carbides can give a near skew like cut surface but as a final cut and can't get the v cuts and some others that a skew will do.
Thank you so much for your information, I think I’m going to start with Hunter osprey # 2 as a general and unique gouge, and maybe a diamond point do you think it’s necessary?
greetings

I only use the Hunter #4 and Hunter #2 have no experience with other carbides.

A friend who passed away a few years ago did all his work with carbides - he lacked the range of motion to use gouges - and accomplished very nice work using carbides. To do a turning I would do with a 3/8 spindle gouge he would use 6 - 8 carbide tools.
He would typically use several round carbides on a cove.
On a bead he would use a square and 2-3 pointed ones.
From watching him in demos it is certainly possible to get details using multiple carbides but he used 6-8 tools to do a job i would do with a spindle gouge.
Thank you, I was thinking to start just with one, the hunte osprey #2, a diamond point and a parting gouge.
Maybe its not going to be enough.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thank you, I was thinking to start just with one, the hunte osprey #2, a diamond point and a parting gouge.
Maybe its not going to be enough.
You will be able to make things with those tools. Start with those and add to them overtime.
Check out John Lucas’s video on the osprey

Google:
hunter osprey tool tutorial

john60lucas - John’s utube name

You will be able to make things with those tools. Start with those and add to them overtime.
Check out John Lucas’s video on the osprey

Google:
hunter osprey tool tutorial

john60lucas - John’s utube name
Thank you so much I’ve already saw that video it’s amazing looks very versatile tool and a good investment.

Back