• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw for turning

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a friend who needs a bandsaw for turning. I havent kept track of the quality or brands lately so need some help for him. What's input there in the $1000 to $1800 range. I'm going to get on the computer in a little while and dig but thought I'd start here.

I used to have the Jet 14" bandsaw and it was a good saw that could handle quite a bit of wood. I had no complaints about it and the only reason that I ended up getting ride of it was that I had a chance to upgrade. The saw is a little light but it can handle quite a bit of wood if you take your time and have a coarse blade.
When I got it it was $1200 it might be a bit more now.

I guess part of which saw he gets depends on what all he will be doing with it. I have a smaller saw (PM 14 inch saw, cuts 6 inches high) for cutting rounds, and a big saw (Laguna 16HD 4.5 hp) for cutting slabs. I consider both as essential tools for production work. The big saw cuts better slabs than my chainsaw does. That saves a lot of production time. I think the fad of getting the riser blocks is pretty much passed. If you go from a saw that cuts 6 inches high to one that cuts 12 inches high, you need a bigger motor. For bowl turning, cutting 12 inches high is kind of a minimum because there is a demand for bowls up to 15 inches, but much over that the market is a lot smaller. Even if you are not selling and giving them away, not a lot of requests for bowls over 14 inches. . For cutting 14 to 16 inches high, you need 2 to 4 hp and 220 volt plug in. And then there are blades.... I have heard a lot of good things about the Rikon saws. I would be inclined to favor them over Grizzly and maybe even over Laguna.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think he is limited to 120v. I used 14" saws for years. The Delta was a huge improvement over the off brand copies. Riser blocks were essential for me but mostly to cut hollow form blanks. Horse power is definitely an issue when cutting hollow vessel blanks.
Interesting comments on the Rikon. I read several warnings on customer service. I've always been satisfied with the Rikon tools I've owned. I will pass this on to my friend. He is coming over Sunday to help me with a computer problem and I'm sure we will spend some time in the shop.

For bowl turning, cutting 12 inches high is kind of a minimum because there is a demand for bowls up to 15 inches, but much over that the market is a lot smaller. Even if you are not selling and giving them away, not a lot of requests for bowls over 14 inches. . For cutting 14 to 16 inches high, you need 2 to 4 hp and 220 volt plug in.

robo hippy
Sorry to hijack the thread but your comments comparing chain saw cutting and band saw cutting raised a question for me. When you are cutting slab type blanks, are you running the log through the saw 'laying down' or 'on end'?

The subject does raise a question - why a bandsaw? After ~10 yrs of turning, I still dont feel the need for a big one (I have a 10”, 4-1/2” resaw ht).

If I had room and $ I would have one but I find a chainsaw indespensible.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I use the max depth cut on mine often. If a small dia log I stand it on end and split through the center, or desired spot, with minimal waste. I also take 10-11" long blanks, stand them on end and trim them close to round before I spin up and true up on the lathe. Gets all the bark off rather then have it flying all over the shop. I can and have done all of the same steps with my chainsaw and still do sometimes. Just another option.

Ditto on the Rikon 14". The only thing that's given mine a difficult time was some wet Siberian elm. That stuff was even tough with a chainsaw.

I'm constantly using the full height of my BS - all 11 3/8" with the guides on. 1942 Walker Turner 16" saw.

Faster than a chainsaw, as it is in my shop and not out back. Do the roughing/slabbing with chainsaw, but the actual bowl blank shaping on the band saw.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes I use my minimax 16" at full depth often. For me it's just easier than the chainsaw. the only hard part is picking up the wood to that height. I put an extension table on my saw to make it easy to rip longer logs into turning blanks. I do support the log so it can't roll.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I have a friend who needs a bandsaw for turning. I havent kept track of the quality or brands lately so need some help for him. What's input there in the $1000 to $1800 range. I'm going to get on the computer in a little while and dig but thought I'd start here.
I've got a Laguna 14/12 bandsaw. It was a big upgrade after my 30+ year old 9-inch Craftsman. I've had the saw for a few years and it has changed the way I do woodworking, from cutting logs into the desired shape for turning to slicing boards to cutting irregular shapes. The bandsaw is very well made and has the ceramic guides. Once you get used to keeping them set properly, they work like a champ. I find myself cutting up fairly large logs and then splitting them to the desired shape on the bandsaw. With the blade support fully retracted I can get about 12 1/2 inches of height. When I purchased the saw it was on sale for a little less that $1000. The only thing it is missing is a foot brake. You just have to make sure it is fully stopped before getting near the blade. I also purchased the wheel set so I can move it around for longer jobs.

Dean, for processing logs for bowl blanks, I cut a section off of a log. I prefer to keep the logs whole because I loose less to end checking. I cut the log section in half down the pith. I do use a straight line through the pith so my cut stays pretty straight, and I can put it cut side down on the bandsaw table without it rocking too much. Next, when on the table, I will cut one end off of the half log section, some times both ends, depending. I take it to a table and mark out the slabs oh the top end of the log section that I want to cut for bowls, plates, platters or whatever. Then I stand it on end and rip the slabs out. Only problem with this is the long strands of fiber can clog up the bandsaw. I did one video about 'Bandsaw dust ports do not suck' and the hair balls I get inside the saw remind me of the old Star Trek adventure, 'The Trouble with Tribbles'. I can get almost dead flat slabs. I do use a 1 1/4 inch blade with teeth at 3/4 inch apart. Never stalled my big saw with it.

robo hippy

I look at used older saws before looking at newer ones. A12 inch throat height is essentual for bowl blanks.
I found an older (1990) Delta 20" with a 2.5hp motor; a monster compared to newer ones, but I got it for a song.

I have a Grizzly 18" bandsaw that I purchased about 20 years ago. It never really cut very well and as I stated before a purchase from Grizzly and you are the mechanic/fixer. I was going to get rid of it and buy a better one and took one last leap of faith and bought the Carter bandsaw guides eight or nine years ago, Wow what a difference and now it cuts great, no need for a new one.

I have a Grizzly 18" bandsaw that I purchased about 20 years ago. It never really cut very well and as I stated before a purchase from Grizzly and you are the mechanic/fixer. I was going to get rid of it and buy a better one and took one last leap of faith and bought the Carter bandsaw guides eight or nine years ago, Wow what a difference and now it cuts great, no need for a new one.
You are so right on the Carter Guides. Got them for my Grizzly 14" GO555 and it cut a straight line even with a dull blade. Several guys in the club have gotten them after that. Maybe better than buying a new saw so my 25 year old one is still going strong

I'm with the Rikon fans above. I also have the 10-326. I think they're about $1500 now at Woodcraft.

Have a JET VBS-18 MW that is 1-3/4hp 120/240v. No issues other than replacing tires after 15 years.

Attachments

• 6A386366-3C64-4BB7-81B1-0277605FEFBF.jpeg
    6A386366-3C64-4BB7-81B1-0277605FEFBF.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 9
So, John, how is your research going?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have passed this info on to my friend. If I had the money and space I would have 2 bandsaws. I have the minimax 16 which is fantastic. However when you put a small blade in to do tiny detailed work the table is too low. My 14" Delta was great for this kind of work. The table was high enough you could stand relaxed to do the work.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have passed this info on to my friend. If I had the money and space I would have 2 bandsaws. I have the minimax 16 which is fantastic. However when you put a small blade in to do tiny detailed work the table is too low. My 14" Delta was great for this kind of work. The table was high enough you could stand relaxed to do the work.
John, off-topic question. I have a Mini-Max S45 (18") that I bought in 1989. The table doesn't have a 3/4" miter slot but some smaller metric size. PITA! Always had to come up with custom solutions for different jigs that use the miter slot. Does your saw have a 3/4" slot? I would assume they should have changed that problem for saws in the USA.

These suit me. Can you ever have enough bandsaws? Two 14“ saws in the middle; two 10” saws on the ends. The deepest one has a riser and a 1.5hp motor and is plenty strong for blanks for my 12” lathe. The 10”-res make a sweet cut. Old stuff for sure so likely not what you’re looking for.

B6E4DE67-A8A1-4AEE-9F8F-DC7D360BDCEA.jpeg

D1228799-B2F1-4A61-A924-EF143D16A23E.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Anybody have a Shop Fox band saw?

I was looking at this 19" SF bandsaw from Home Depot.....says "special purchase", and is $1959.

I see Grizzly is offering the same bandsaw at the same price.....both have free shipping.

For what it is, it seems like a good price.

Question, for a bandsaw of this size, how important is it to have a brake?

-----odie-----

1660772452309.png

odie

TOTW Team
....and, the bad news is the upper wheel adjustment casting on my 35 year old 16" Grizzly bandsaw appears to have broken, and I didn't understand why the last time I replaced the blade, I couldn't figure out why the tracking was so different than before.....well, now I know why! :(

I'll go out there in a couple hours and take down the band saw to see if it can be repaired, but it doesn't look promising, from what I can see. :(

-----odie-----

IMG_0077.JPG

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hope you can’t find a fix for your saw
If there are multiple people in the shop a break is an essential safety feature
The bigger saws will keep moving for several minutes and silence doesn’t alert someone that the blade is moving.
Easy for someone to damage work or body parts with the blade still moving.

As a single user a break let’s you change the fence etc right away. If you cut lots of spindle parts it would be a pain to wait for the saw to stop.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com

I was looking at this 19" SF bandsaw from Home Depot.....says "special purchase", and is $1959.

I see Grizzly is offering the same bandsaw at the same price.....both have free shipping.

-----odie-----

View attachment 46118
Looks similar to my 17" grizzly with different branding. At least to me all the shop fox equipment look like grizzly machines with different colors, branding and a 2 year warranty.

Website
culinarywood.com

-----odie-----

View attachment 46118
I have the Grizzly 19in 3HP saw, I do like it. I would not get one with out a brake. It is definitely a safety issue. It will spin down for several minutes. Mine is the electric brake, stops it in 3 seconds. I would much prefer to have the manual brake, less parts to brake that you can only get from Grizzly. In fact that is the only thing to break on mine. Small electric part was about $65, easy install.

I found mine very lightly used for $1300.

Hope this helps.....

Odie, I’m always fascinated by pictures of your shop. In this case, please tell me, what are the coffee (?) containers on the feet of the saw for? I’m sure there’s a terrific explanation, I just can’t figure it out.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, I’m always fascinated by pictures of your shop. In this case, please tell me, what are the coffee (?) containers on the feet of the saw for? I’m sure there’s a terrific explanation, I just can’t figure it out.

Ha,ha......well, there is a good reason for it, Lou.....and it has nothing to do with performance of the band saw.

Over time, I've been asked that very same question several times......and, there is a good explanation for it. On the other side of the shelves, just behind the band saw, is my parking space. During the winter months, the ice can get packed on the undercarriage of the car, and when it melts, the water sometimes flows toward the band saw. The coffee containers just keeps the metal legs from getting wet, and avoids rusting. :)

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Grizzly makes Shop Fox. It is their brand that they sell thru other retailers.

Hmmm....you don't say! I didn't know that.

I see the prices at Home Depot and from Grizzly are exactly the same w/free delivery. I think the HD delivery would be better for getting closer to my garage/shop.

I'm also looking at the 14" 2hp resaw w1849. Not as much width capacity, but 14" height, instead of the 12" with the 19" shop fox. This might be a bit better for processing larger burl caps.

1660788038919.png

Last edited:
Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I see the prices at Home Depot and from Grizzly are exactly the same w/free delivery. I think the HD delivery would be better for getting closer to my garage/shop.
Going to take a guess that home depot is not stocking these in there warehouses. It probably drop ships direct from grizzly via freight. They used to ship ups freight not sure if they changed.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
...and, the bad news is the upper wheel adjustment casting on my 35 year old 16" Grizzly bandsaw appears to have broken, and I didn't understand why the last time I replaced the blade, I couldn't figure out why the tracking was so different than before.....well, now I know why! :(

I'll go out there in a couple hours and take down the band saw to see if it can be repaired, but it doesn't look promising, from what I can see. :(

Odie, I think that is a fairly common part if you're talking about the cast aluminum-zinc alloy that adjusts the upper wheel tilt and tension. I bought a Delta clone about 35 years ago and that part broke when the saw was only 5 or 6 years old. The aftermarket replacement was much higher quality and is still in perfect shape.

Back