• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW forum swap interest? Poll

What type of swap is most desirable (select two categories)?

• Open swap, with no restrictions

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • Swap with categories (ex. bowls, boxes, sculptures, etc…)

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Themed swap (ex. eggs, animals, etc…)

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Collaborative swap (partners send each other blanks, then turn/finish and send back)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Wood blank swap only (no turning involved)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Not interested in an AAW forum swap

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have had swaps over on the WoW website since 2003. The idea is to send a representative piece as to where you are in your turning travels. You can get pieces from turners with 30 years experience to little or no experience. I treasure every piece that I have ever received, especially those that come from a new turner. It takes a little moxie for a new turner to step up and put in a piece that they probably think is not as good as some. That is not true those first pieces are just as important as those from a pro. If you are worried about not getting a "good piece" swaps are not for you. I encourage all to join in.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Stan, hughie, Bill, Michael, and Steve great! Hopefully we don’t have any shipping fiascos like your recent swap, hughie. Whew! Michael, no worries about int’l shipping.

Bill, well said—thank you.

Hi all,

I’m wondering if there is any interest in doing a turning swap with other members here? I’ve been involved in a few via other forums and they’re almost always pretty fun and satisfying. And, they’re great motivation (especially for newer turners) to make something “worthy” of another turner. Anyway, I put together a little poll to gauge interest, as well as identify the type of swap that would be most engaging. You must vote to see the results. Majority wins. The poll will close one week from now (upon posting this thread).

If there is a bunch of interest, I am happy to organize the swap. I know there are holiday swaps galore, so I’m thinking that our deadline for this one could be the end of September. Aside from the poll, all thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks!
I'd be interested, but I imagine it could get pretty involved, and items would have to be shipped.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I'd be interested, but I imagine it could get pretty involved, and items would have to be shipped.
Hi Michael, excellent! You’re right that shipping would be necessary. To keep it cost effective, I would recommend that folks keep their items on the small-ish size. Logistically speaking, I would collect all participants’ addresses and pair them together at random (for the most part, excluding some convenient international pairings). Then I would send each participant their recipient’s name/address. Would likely only be super involved for me, which I’m fine with.

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I voted. But I guess you need my name too! :)
Thanks for voting Allen! The vote is the important thing now. Once the poll closes tomorrow evening, I’ll start writing a rules/instructions post, and then will have to collect names addresses from folks that want to participate in the first swap. Stay tuned! :)

I'm interested ... depending on the rules.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I'm interested ... depending on the rules.
Great, Gerald! They’ll be pretty standard swap rules (as far as I’m experienced). I envision this first swap being pretty open, the only rules pertaining to size restrictions and abiding by the deadlines.

Great, Gerald! They’ll be pretty standard swap rules (as far as I’m experienced). I envision this first swap being pretty open, the only rules pertaining to size restrictions and abiding by the deadlines.
Given my distance, it will be smallish and weigh very little. :D

Logistically speaking, I would collect all participants’ addresses and pair them together at random (for the most part, excluding some convenient international pairings). Then I would send each participant their recipient’s name/address. Would likely only be super involved for me, which I’m fine with.
I bet Chat GPT could randomly pair names up :)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Love the idea! Count me in Michael. I’m working on my WOW swap for SWAT. TIA for doing this!
Wonderful, Walter! I’ll make a new post in a couple of days with some information, and I’ll start collecting names/addresses.

Have fun at SWAT, I’ve heard from many folks it’s a god time!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi everyone, the swap is just about ready to begin. A couple of folks have justifiably reached out and asked about the status. We set up a new forum for collaborations and swaps, and are just working through a couple of logistical issues. Stay tuned! (and stay excited :D )

Back