• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW forum swap interest? Poll

What type of swap is most desirable (select two categories)?

• Open swap, with no restrictions

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • Swap with categories (ex. bowls, boxes, sculptures, etc…)

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Themed swap (ex. eggs, animals, etc…)

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Collaborative swap (partners send each other blanks, then turn/finish and send back)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Wood blank swap only (no turning involved)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Not interested in an AAW forum swap

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi all,

I’m wondering if there is any interest in doing a turning swap with other members here? I’ve been involved in a few via other forums and they’re almost always pretty fun and satisfying. And, they’re great motivation (especially for newer turners) to make something “worthy” of another turner. Anyway, I put together a little poll to gauge interest, as well as identify the type of swap that would be most engaging. You must vote to see the results. Majority wins. The poll will close one week from now (upon posting this thread).

If there is a bunch of interest, I am happy to organize the swap. I know there are holiday swaps galore, so I’m thinking that our deadline for this one could be the end of September. Aside from the poll, all thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’m wondering if there is any interest in doing a turning swap with other members here? I’ve been involved in a few via other forums and they’re almost always pretty fun and satisfying. And, they’re great motivation (especially for newer turners) to make something “worthy” of another turner. Anyway, I put together a little poll to gauge interest, as well as identify the type of swap that would be most engaging. Only one vote allowed (can not change answer) and you must vote to see the results. The poll will close one week from now (upon posting this thread).

If there is a bunch of interest, I am happy to organize the swap. I know there are holiday swaps galore, so I’m thinking that our deadline for this one could be the end of September. Aside from the poll, all thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Could you explain the swap with categories more? Like me, I have only really turned bowls. Would there be a separate category for each type so you could choose or a type would be decided and you fit or you don't?
Never participated in one before, how does it work? Like a secret santa or would you know who you would be swapping with beforehand so you could adjust for the person's taste and such?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hey Sam, happy to elaborate.:

Could you explain the swap with categories more?
The categories idea would only work if there is a lot of interest. Assuming there IS a lot of interest in the category option (meaning, more than the open category), I would organize it such that you could choose a category and I would pair you (randomly) with someone in that same category. For example, if 16 folks participate and 10 are interested in bowls, and 6 are interested in boxes, I would segregate the groupings accordingly. My personal preference is an open-ended exchange, so that you can make whatever you want, and the receiver gets your specialty/interest. The idea is not to force people to make what they don't want or are not interested in. Also in an open-ended exchange, for example, if you're a bowl turner you might be on the receiving end of a box turner. It would give you an opportunity to have a piece around that you might not otherwise make, as well as possibly foster some ideas for future out-of-your-comfort-zone pieces. Like I said, the categories option would only really work if there is overwhelming interesting.

Never participated in one before, how does it work?
My idea is that (assuming open-ended) once everyone who's interested lets me know, I will collect names/addresses, and then randomly pair folks together. You would receive the name and address of the person you are making for, but you would not know who is making for you. I would give you a deadline for shipping out your piece, and then afterward, I would create a thread where we could post photos of the piece we received from someone else. A few things to keep in mind:
  • Everyone is at different levels, and the difference in skill levels (possible intimidation factor) should not preclude you from participating. The major intentions of the swap are to 1) foster the community and build friendships, 2) help you build a collection with pieces from folks you communicate with, 3) give someone a tangible snapshot of your current work/interest, and 4) increase engagement with turning craft in general.
  • Do your best work. Push yourself to make a piece that represents your current highest skill level/interest. You should send someone a piece that you would be proud to display in your own home.
  • Smaller turnings generally work better. This is to reduce shipping costs, reduce space in your home/shop, and in general some restrictions are a good thing for challenging yourself.
  • Embrace the spirit of the swap: we're all makers and at different levels. I would be happy to receive a piece from anyone here, as long as they put their best foot forward. The idea that someone would spend valuable time to make something for me is pretty special.
  • Ideally, you would make a piece for the swap specifically, but we live in a real world. Sometimes time isn't there, or circumstance prevent you from making a new piece. In that case, you probably have something you made in the past laying around that you would be proud to gift someone (or maybe even interested in re-working an older piece).
  • I wouldn't necessarily recommend fully tailoring your piece to your recipient. Personally, I would rather get a piece that represents someone else's interest rather than one that is copying my style. Copying isn't the right word, but you get what I mean. That said, it would a cool idea to add an element to your piece that is specific to your recipient (if you want). Ultimately, the decision is yours though--this bulletpoint is just my opinion.
  • You must sign your piece. Partly for accountability, and partly so that when you look at your collection years later, you can identify the maker. No anonymous turnings allowed.
I'm positive I'm leaving something out, so feel free to add some follow-up questions.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Sounds interesting. Michael, I could set up a dedicated swap/collaborative forum if you would be willing to be in charge of it. We can discuss details of indentured servitude in a private conversation. I'm not in favor of wood bartering/swapping ... that can be done by private conversation.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
@David Martin no worries. The spirit of the swap (I’m paraphrasing comments on another forum) is that everyone gets who they get. If someone is concerned about their match, they don’t have to participate. Everyone puts their best foot forward, and we’re all the better for it :D

@Dan Oliphant excellent! The poll should show up at the top of this page/thread.

Being brand new at this I think I'm liable to get the better end of the trade, but it would be nice to see something from a more experienced turner to be able to gauge my progress by.
David, the spirit of a swap is you provide the best effort/ piece you can. No one will ever be disappointed with receiving someone’s best. Imagine owning an early Malcolm Tibbetts piece. Everyone has a starting point/ early phase to their turning journey for sure!!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
David, the spirit of a swap is you provide the best effort/ piece you can. No one will ever be disappointed with receiving someone’s best. Imagine owning an early Malcolm Tibbetts piece. Everyone has a starting point/ early phase to their turning journey for sure!!
Absolutely right, Russ! :D

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I am interested as long as I don't have to ship outside of the United States.
Great! Definitely understandable given shipping rates and unreliability these days. I would do my best to pair folks within their countries if desired, and if there’s an odd number, I’ll take the hit myself and trade internationally. Valid point Guy, thanks for bringing it up.

Interesting idea. It reminds me of homebrew swaps I've participated in and enjoyed.

If it does become a thing, I'd give it a try. The collaborative blank swap also sounds like it could be both challenging and fun.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Michael, will there be an "official" sign-up sheet when the time comes ... details, dates, etc.? Or are you going to have to weed through all these posts to make a list? :rolleyes:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
The collaborative blank swap also sounds like it could be both challenging and fun.
For sure! I’m involved in a collaborative swap right now. It does add a bit of challenge to it, but also forces you to adapt and think out of the box a bit. Fun stuff indeed!

you need to set very low expectations about what you get. But it's really not about what you get.
You’ve definitely participated in many more swaps than I have. Of the ones I’ve been involved with, the only time I’ve been disappointed was when someone didn’t sign their piece — I have a cool little lighthouse I got on a Reddit swap, and I have no idea who made it aside from an anonymous username.

will there be an "official" sign-up sheet when the time comes ... details, dates, etc.?
Hey Tom. I’ll make up something official and *easy*. This was just to gauge interest. Looks like a lot of folks would be willing, which gives me some ideas. Stay tuned once the poll closes :)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Blank swap is out of the question for me , I have a shop wall 24 foot full of wood and more in the floor. Finished piece is the answer and then maybe min and max size.
I hear you there, Gerald. That option was mostly filler for the poll, but I’m glad it got picked a few times. Most folks here are probably full to the brim with wood. Others maybe not so much.

Back