• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

‘Steering’ on the bevel?

More striking than your excellent bowl, is your ability to understand and utilize the comments from here on the forum. Few of us, even few students, listen and learn so well. Most impressive.
Thank you Dean, that is very high praise indeed. This forum is definitely living up to its reputation of being a place where one can learn from masters.

One can never have too many tools. Well, at least I don't think so. I haven't used a swept back grind in many years. To me, and part of this is because I did production work, the swept back grind is a 'does every thing' type of tool, so one gouge can do pretty much every thing required to turn a good bowl. After learning the 40/40 grind, I no longer use the swept back grind at all. Main reason is that the specialized tools do the better jobs. The 40/40 for the outside of the bowl. The 40/40 for the walls on the inside down to the transition, and then a BOB (bottom of bowl) tool for the transition and going across the bottom. I use scrapers for all of my heavy roughing.

I have tried smaller gouges for finish cuts, and maybe it is just me, but I don't get better cuts with them than I do with the 5/8 gouges which are my work horses.

robo hippy

Back