• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Voyager
Robbie Graham

Voyager

Voyager

Wood: Ash
Other materials: Tussock grass
Length: 930mm (36-1/2")

I posted this piece a while back but it disappeared with the change over to the new site format.

The inspiration for this piece comes from the indigenous peoples of the South Pacific.
I have wanted to do apiece like this for some time, it was going to be larger but I couldn't find a piece of wood big enough. I am going to make a similar piece to this but it will be 1.5m in length, thats if I can get a piece of wood clear of splits.

This piece is turned then the top and the inside are shaped with the arbortech to give an adze appearance.
It was scorched and sandblasted then textured. The base is also ash and is scorched then sandblasted which gives it a great textured feel.
The picture is cropped too close to the ends because my photo backdrop isn't wide enough for this piece, will have to get a bigger set up.
Comments and Critiques welcome.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings