• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Masur Birch eye, Ebony tear, porcupine quill lashes
C

Masur Birch eye, Ebony tear, porcupine quill lashes

This is an image of something I made to remember my friend Jim Julin, an artist who frequently used porcupine quills in his work. The piece was shown as part of an exhibition in Rockford, IL remembering Jim and filled with a great collection of work from artists and friends who's lives were touched by Jim. I'll attempt to include a close up shot here, along with an example of Jim's work.
This is a project I created in rememberance of a dear friend, Jim Julin, that passed away last year. The picture was taken at his house where a show was held showing several pieces of his artwork, along with a large number of works by other artists/friends who were influenced/touched by him. Lots of really wonderful artwork from at the show and I was very pleased to be part of it.

The iris is Masur Birch turned on the pith and dyed (a bit darker than intended) blue. Pupil is either Ebony or African Blackwood, as is the tear. The red dot in the corner (sorry, forget the term) is Padauk, given to me by Jim. Eyelashes are porcupine quills. (Jim frequently used porcupine quills in his artwork.)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Craig Daymon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename