• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Live Edge Ash Off-Center landscape Christmas tree box
Nick Valenza

Live Edge Ash Off-Center landscape Christmas tree box

Ash was dyed Transtint Bright Red, scorched, wire wheeled and re-dyed, two shared of gold gilding wax. Pear Off-Axis Tree cut on three axis with different skews, dyed green then some black dye. Silver and Green gilding wax dabbled on tree and ground to simulate snow. All topped with an acrylic krylon spray top coat. Walls roughly 1/4 to 5/16 inch thin.
Wow, a lot going on there and it all comes together! Any pics of what it looks like without the lid? Looks like it's glowing under there.

Wow, a lot going on there and it all comes together! Any pics of what it looks like without the lid? Looks like it's glowing under there.
I appreciate your feedback! The lid is just the finial tree. It was hard to get a picture inside since the entry was so small. About 1 inch in diameter. I see that it is busy, and I am wondering if it was the right way to go? What do you think?

I see now, I didn't see that the finial was the lid, thought it was the part under it. The red under the bark rim on the inside made me think it was all removable.
Right way to go? Who knows. It makes a person's imagination work. Isn't that the point of art? I imagine mountains/alpine scene with the bark so it's a definite landscape to me!

I see that it is busy, and I am wondering if it was the right way to go? What do you think?

Very nice work on your natural edge bowl and the multi axis tree. It is also good to experiment with colors and other enhancements. You noticed that it was busy because there are several things going on:
  • the natural edge bowl where the focus is on the the wood itself, its inherent attractiveness.
  • the enhancements — dyeing, scorching, and gilding sharpen the viewer’s focus on particular aspects.
  • the multi axis tree is effective in drawing the viewer’s attention.
‘With all of the things going on, the viewer might experience information overload and not be able to see a unifying theme. One of my personal rules of thumb that isn’t intuitively obvious is that "simpler" usually works better and a corollary is that all of the components should look like they belong together. The natural edge bowl and the multi axis tree are very well done and can easily stand on their own, but I think that together they are competing for the viewer’s attention.

These thoughts are just my opinion and aren’t worth any more than any other opinion.

Very nice work on your natural edge bowl and the multi axis tree. It is also good to experiment with colors and other enhancements. You noticed that it was busy because there are several things going on:
  • the natural edge bowl where the focus is on the the wood itself, its inherent attractiveness.
  • the enhancements — dyeing, scorching, and gilding sharpen the viewer’s focus on particular aspects.
  • the multi axis tree is effective in drawing the viewer’s attention.
‘With all of the things going on, the viewer might experience information overload and not be able to see a unifying theme. One of my personal rules of thumb that isn’t intuitively obvious is that "simpler" usually works better and a corollary is that all of the components should look like they belong together. The natural edge bowl and the multi axis tree are very well done and can easily stand on their own, but I think that together they are competing for the viewer’s attention.

These thoughts are just my opinion and aren’t worth any more than any other opinion.
I love it Bill! You are awesome for taking the time to review your thoughts, plan your words, and write it all out! Thank you! This makes good sense! Thank you!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Nick Valenza
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename