• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2105 African Wenge.
odie

2105 African Wenge.

This Wenge bowl blank was KD, and after 4 months of seasoning the roughed bowl, it lost no weight. Wenge is a very grainy wood, and splinters easily.....workable, but many other woods are more favorable to work with. I chose to turn this one, just to give myself some variety. 5 7/8" x 1 15/16", sanded to 1500gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buffed. Completed 4/4/2023, and sold on 4/23/2023.

-----odie-----
Common Name(s): Wenge

Scientific Name: Millettia laurentii

Distribution: Central Africa

Workability: Can be difficult to work with hand and machine tools. Blunts tool edges. Sands unevenly due to differences in density between light and dark areas.

Pricing/Availability: Available in wide boards and veneer sheets. Prices are high, and are likely to remain so as supplies dwindle.

Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, but is on the IUCN Red List. It is listed as endangered due to a population reduction of over 50% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation.

Comments: Usually pronounced WHEN-gii or WHEN-ghay, this incredibly popular African hardwood has excellent strength and hardness properties, though it’s much more frequently used for its rich dark brown color, which can be dark enough to be used as a substitute for ebony (Diospyros spp.) in certain situations.

Nice details as usual, Odie. And yes, you can get splinters from Wenge just by looking at it! But, I find it's subtle brown/black grain pattern very attractive. It could be the photo - but, it looks like your DO finish has muddied the grain & color. Perhaps just a very light & thin coat of shellac to bring out the colors (a wipe-on coat of Zinsser's spray shellac) and then wax & buff - or - Beall system. Just my 2¢! ;)

Nice details as usual, Odie. And yes, you can get splinters from Wenge just by looking at it! But, I find it's subtle brown/black grain pattern very attractive. It could be the photo - but, it looks like your DO finish has muddied the grain & color. Perhaps just a very light & thin coat of shellac to bring out the colors (a wipe-on coat of Zinsser's spray shellac) and then wax & buff - or - Beall system. Just my 2¢! ;)

Thanks, Tom :)

Probably more of a problem with my photography than the DO.....

-o-

That is some dark Wenge Odie! Nice fine details in a difficult wood….I concur on the splinters!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device