• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Honey Locust Burl
George Guadiane

Honey Locust Burl

A honey locust tree came down last friday in a BIG storm up here in the North East!
This burl had grown next to a lightning strike, and it looked like it might have gone by.
I cut it anyway, and brought it home. There was some punk, but I found a solid bowl blank.
8 inches in diameter by 5 1/4 inches high. Olive oil sanded for now, complete finish later.
As always, comments, questions and/or critique invited.
What a great piece of wood... looking at the thumbnail it looked carved/fluted. Very nice!

I'm wondering about the size of the foot (which I struggle with on my turnings) - any particular reason you chose to not go smaller on it?

Thank you Mark,
Yes, I asked my wife about it, I thought that this foot suited the overall shape, she did too. Usually, we both like them smaller, as most of my work shows. Besides, the character at the foot was worthy of saving/showing IMHO

For me too the foot is a little large; or maybe it is just the flared angle? I know it is always hard to decied whether to sacrifice wood with good figure to a design element but I've learned to settle on the peice's form over the wood's figure. Poor form defeats good wood where good form enhances poor wood.

I hear you S. It looks different in each of the other pictures, because of the ever changing height and width that comes with natural edge turning. I will try turning the foot smaller with Photoshop, to see how I like it...
If it looks better, I will cut it down for real.

I always struggle with feet on these natural edged vessels because of the different size relationships in various views, as you mentioned. Your PhotoShop idea is great!

I did the PhotoShop foot, let me know what you think.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename