• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Embellishment and Blank Experiment
Jerry Prosise

Embellishment and Blank Experiment

The pics that I post in the coming days will represent a new concept for me. I have been intrigued by using various metals in turnings...more specifically using the "cold cast" method. Lots of "experiments" and trial and error regarding exactly the best way to use this technique (certainly not mastered yet). This vessel is a 13.5" X 5.5" Silver Maple hollow form that has been dyed a translucent black. It is inlayed with pewter and I turned the collar out of a blank that I created out of the same pewter. This piece came from a large Silver Maple that was actually blown over in my front yard a few months back. The blank came from an end grain oriented crotch which was another experiment for me. I literally cut a chunk from the center of the "Y" and was able to miss both piths branching from the crotch. This is the reason that I am posting a second picture (and not a very good one) to show how the result of cutting the blank in this manner shows that the bark inclusion travels all the way through to the bottom of the vessel. The result was the classic "feather" figure that is represented on both sides of the vessel. Still a lot of experimenting to do but I am fairly pleased with the way this vessel turned out. I would be very interested in hearing the opinion of other turners before I go crazy with this method.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jerry Prosise
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename