• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2118 maple burl.
odie

2118 maple burl.

Completed June 20, 2023, and sold for $350 on September 10, 2023. Original block registered 12% MC, and after roughing, it lost 0.7 oz after 6 months seasoning time. 12 1/2" x 3", 2 lb 0.3 oz, sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buffed. Has undercut rim. As is the usual for burls, this one has many voids and bark inclusions.

-o-
Wow, the burl figure is insane! It looks so finely finished it almost has a glass or plastic appearance! You never fail to impress Odie..

Another beauty Odie; what are you using to cut your fine grooves with sans tear out?? I’m asking for a friend, lol!!

Another beauty Odie; what are you using to cut your fine grooves with sans tear out?? I’m asking for a friend, lol!!

Thanks Russ..... :)

It's your standard everyday spear point scraper. The very tip is hand honed to get the sharpest point possible. You don't just plunge it in......it enters the wood slowly and carefully. :)

-o-

Thanks Russ..... :)

It's your standard everyday spear point scraper. The very tip is hand honed to get the sharpest point possible. You don't just plunge it in......it enters the wood slowly and carefully. :)

-o-
Another nice one, Odie. The spacing of your grooves always looks perfect. I know I've asked you this before but I don't recall the answer - if you gave one! Do you use a beading tool, threading tool, saw blade teeth, or other tool to mark out the spacing before using your "everyday spear point scraper"? ... or just good eyesight?
I'm really good at making two grooves ... three or more - not so much! ;)

Another nice one, Odie. The spacing of your grooves always looks perfect. I know I've asked you this before but I don't recall the answer - if you gave one! Do you use a beading tool, threading tool, saw blade teeth, or other tool to mark out the spacing before using your "everyday spear point scraper"? ... or just good eyesight?
I'm really good at making two grooves ... three or more - not so much! ;)

Thank you, Tom..... :)

Like you, my eyesight isn't good enough to determine equal spacing for more than two grooves. I worked on this problem, and after several failed prototypes, I finally came up with a design that worked, and I made my own homemade tool rest that helps with the spacing. This tool rest is a testament to the old saying....."If at first you don't succeed.....try, try again!

-o-

Lovely bowl as always!
Since it's "lets ask Odie day"... I have been meaning to ask... do you have problems/ solutions for the White diamond grit getting imbedded in bark inclusions?

Lovely bowl as always!
Since it's "lets ask Odie day"... I have been meaning to ask... do you have problems/ solutions for the White diamond grit getting imbedded in bark inclusions?

Thanks for commenting, Will......:)

The White Diamond is problematic for everyone, and I'm no exception. When I first started using the Beall buffing system, I used way too much WD.....so, use it very sparingly.....especially for something like this burl, with all the voids and bark inclusions. In this case, I may not use the WD at all, or not add any more WD to a previously used buffing wheel.

-o-

Thanks for commenting, Will......:)

The White Diamond is problematic for everyone, and I'm no exception. When I first started using the Beall buffing system, I used way too much WD.....so, use it very sparingly.....especially for something like this burl, with all the voids and bark inclusions. In this case, I may not use the WD at all, or not add any more WD to a previously used buffing wheel.

-o-
Don't use the WD in walnut! All of the pores fill up and turn white!!

Thank you, Tom..... :)

Like you, my eyesight isn't good enough to determine equal spacing for more than two grooves. I worked on this problem, and after several failed prototypes, I finally came up with a design that worked, and I made my own homemade tool rest that helps with the spacing. This tool rest is a testament to the old saying....."If at first you don't succeed.....try, try again!

-o-
Thanks, Odie. I can't imagine a tool rest that will work with a spear point tool that produces grooves that close together. Got a photo? .... if you are so inclined. ;)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device