• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
100_0323
G

100_0323

Cherry holow vessel 4 inches tall 7 1/2 inches wide, with Pewter inlay along with Cocobolo inlay on top. The finial is 5 inches tall turned aluminum with Kingwood ball. Finished in Danish oil - wet sanded down to 2000 grit for the solf smooth feel.
Hi Gary......lovely little HF here. Did you metal spin the the finial?

Sorry my entries got in-between your photo posts. If you want them to be all entered at the same time, just upload the photos in four separate windows on your computer. That way you can upload all four of your allowable daily entries all at the same time......and nobody else can break up your sequence.

Again.....nice looking HF.....

ooc

Odie

I turned the aluminum just like a piece of wood. Started off using regular high speed steel turning tools but just about every other rotation of the lathe had to sharpen ( not quite that fast, but it sure seemed like it). I switched over to carbide cutting tools and rounded edge on one side of the flat tool so it would rest at about 45 degrees ( made it side over the tool rest real easy) and that made a real difference and quicker cutting time. Still can't cut the medal as fast as wood but it sure sped it up. The base of the finial is 1 1/2 inch stock and the top part is 5/8 inch stock.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
gary rock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device