• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Yuletide Ornaments
Michael Butterfield

Yuletide Ornaments

Not the best picture, sorry. I wanted to get one if these before they were wrapped up and given out as gifts.

The right and left ones are Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) globes and Aspen (Populous tremuloides) finials.

The center has an Aspen globe and Black walnut (Juglans nigra) finials.
Not the best picture, sorry. I wanted to get one if these before they were wrapped up and given out as gifts. The stands are made from R45 welding rod.

The right and left ones are Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) globes and Aspen (Populous tremuloides) finials.

The center has an Aspen globe and Black walnut (Juglans nigra) finials.

Michael-

Real nice craftsmanship on the ornaments. To get them to sparkle on the tree and pick up the lights. Have you thought about using high gloss wipe-on-poly?

Gary

Thank you very much Gary! I've been turning for two years now and it is great to get feedback, also this year I did my first craft fairs and the response was fantastic.

I was using poly but made the decision that I no longer wanted to deal with the smelly and toxic fumes. I changed to the "Doctor's Workshop" carnauba wax and walnut oil blend, which is food safe and nontoxic. It isn't high gloss but I like how it shows off the character of the wood. It is my go to finish now, I also really like how quick it is. They also have a mix with shellac which is supposed to be high gloss.

I also noticed at the two craft fairs the low gloss ornaments sold much, much faster then the high gloss poly ones. I think this finish gives them a very "soft" and inviting feel.

Again, thank you for taking the time to comment and offer suggestions.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Butterfield
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename