• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Square Oriental Box
Seth Belcher

Square Oriental Box

Made from cherry with ebonite’s bottom and final made from East Indian Ebony. This was my take on Jimmy Clewes’ square oriental box, with a little bit of added flair.
This is a video of me making it:
https://youtu.be/iXJnpjvhbow
Hi Seth...... :)

Very nice Square Oriental Box, and the video was great to watch. Thanks for adding that.

If you don't mind, I have some questions......What lathe, what chuck, and what bandsaw?

Also, I see you are using some Sakura pens for signing your work. I have been using these pens for light colored woods, but haven't been able to get good results on dark colored woods. The solution would seem to be white or very light colored ink, but haven't found any light colored ink pens that are suitable for this purpose.....so far. How do you sign on a dark colored wood?

-----odie-----

Hi Odie,
Thank you so much for your kind words!
I'm using a Laguna 1836, Easy Wood and Supernova2 chucks, and a Laguna 18bx bandsaw.

Honestly, when it comes to signing my work, I've still got a lot to learn. I picked up the Sakura pens based on a recommendation in a forum post, I believe by you, if I'm not mistaken. Nevertheless, before I picked up these pens, I would use a micro point Sharpie. Like you, I've not had much success with signing darker woods, so I'm not much help in that regard.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Seth Belcher
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename