• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

...your favorite wood to turn is?

As I live in MD, I have ready access to many great turning woods to include ash, hickory, ambrosia maple, flaming boxwood among others. Right now I'm working through a batch of spectacular ambrosia maple but I'm always curious as to what other people consider their favorite woods to turn, especially folks from other parts of the country. I love working in mesquite though I rarely have access to it and I also like working in pecan which is a variant of hickory. To that end...what woods to you enjoy working with most and why? Some exotics I like to work with are Koa, Monkey Pod, and especially Camphor.

Last edited:
Mesquite, turns and sands and finishes nicely, I can turn from green to finish without fear of cracking. And I have access to unlimited supply ( mostly free).Here in south Louisiana I don’t have access to the variety of other hard woods Like ambrosia maple and such.

Mesquite, turns and sands and finishes nicely, I can turn from green to finish without fear of cracking. And I have access to unlimited supply ( mostly free).Here in south Louisiana I don’t have access to the variety of other hard woods Like ambrosia maple and such.
I've only turned three or four pieces in mesquite and love it...takes a beautiful finish and it's one of those woods I can turn from start to completely done without allowing for drying time. Let me know if you're ever interested in swapping some mesquite for some ambrosia.

I
I'd love to try some mesquite someday. We have a ton of maple here, but not much of the ambrosia. Also have a lot of beech, ash, walnut, and cherry. White oak is one my favorites. I really like the grain and color, but the smell is just incredible. (reminds me of a whiskey barrel)

I've tried beech and though it turns well due to its straight grain I found it a rather 'boring' looking wood all said and done. Yes...cherry can turn well and I also do quite a bit in walnut. I've had very mixed luck with white oak...it's rough on my hands and I have a very difficult time with it cracking. Personally...I love working in ash. I find I need to work it quickly as it will want to crack if you just look at it the wrong way...on the bright side, it takes a superb finish due to its hardness. Sadly...the emerald ash borer is decimating the wood in my region so its getting harder and harder to find.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
that end...what woods to you enjoy working with most and why
When I lived in Maryland. holly was a favorite. Turns like butter. White is unusual for a color.
Dogwood is nice too.

Woods that have some feature of grain or organic element to use in the rim top my list regardless of species
Walnut, locust, cherry, beech, maple, Osage Orange, sweet gum, mulberry have all produced pieces that got juried into exhibitions.

In Florida we have elm, camphor, rosewood, Cuban mahogany, red gum eucalyptus all great turning woods

There's a bunch of dead ash trees from the emerald ash borer here. Sadly, most of it will just decay. The beech trees are also getting wiped out by the beach bark disease. They die quickly and become brittle and break off in storms.

Dry, because I want the least possible wood movement for most of what I make.
Butternut turns a lot like walnut. Maybe more fuzzy.
I address 'movement' by twice turning almost everything. Depending on the wood...I do a first turning to about 80-90% done and then let it dry (and move) all it wants and then go back and finish turning it a year later or so. Indvidual results may vary as they say but I've had good luck with this. Helps that my garage door faces west and gets the brunt of the summer sun...meaning my garage eaily gets to 90+ degrees in full summer. OK...not kiln temperature but warm enough that my rough turned blanks dry out relatively quickly.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
When I lived in Maryland. holly was a favorite. Turns like butter. White is unusual for a color.
Dogwood is nice too.

Woods that have some feature of grain or organic element to use in the rim top my list regardless of species
Walnut, locust, cherry, beech, maple, Osage Orange, sweet gum, mulberry have all produced pieces that got juried into exhibitions.

In Florida we have elm, camphor, rosewood, Cuban mahogany, red gum eucalyptus all great turning woods
I forgot about holly and camphor. I love the smell of camphor and it does turn well. And as you said, holly turns like butter. I've used it for several Christmas music box bases; it takes color uniformly also.

Dogwood is nice too.

Absolutely love rosewood and camphor...wonderfully rich color

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
beech and though it turns well due to its straight grain I found it a rather 'boring' looking wood all said and don

This Beech piece with the wrinkle from the mini buttresses near the roots and a smoke spalting got a jurors choice in a show.
It’s about 10” diameter
IMG_0318.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Some species do turn easier than others, and others take a finish better than others......but Al is right on with this comment!

For me, nothing is more boring than plain uninteresting wood! :)

African blackwood. Really, any wood you can't get any more--they all turn wonderfully and look great, which is how they got rare. Out here in the near desert, we don't have very good local woods, but the very best turning wood is mountain mahagony (also rare and protected on BLM land where it mostly grows), and lilac, surprisingly. Not large but turns nicely, with wonderful colors and aroma for about 2 hours.

Domestic hardwoods in no particular order: black walnut, about any variety of maple, sweetgum, dogwood when I can get it, bradford pear to name a few I've turned. All can feature stunning figure and colors as we all know. I love cherry too-who doesn't?, though I've had problems with it cracking to firewood even if I seal it. For that reason, it's one wood I've come to prefer kiln-dried when I can get it. Someday I hope to get my hands on some of the western natives if I can get them without paying a fortune to have them shipped.

Exotics for shaving brushes, duck calls and other spindle work: any of the dahlbergias, especially the true rosewoods and cocobolo, african blackwood; desert ironwood, lignum vitae and ebony can also make some gorgeous pieces and take glassy finishes.

Honestly, my favorite wood varies, and is usually whatever is on my lathe that is turning and finishing well at any given time, which I think is true for many of us.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Some species do turn easier than others, and others take a finish better than others......but Al is right on with this comment!

For me, nothing is more boring than plain uninteresting wood! :)
Odie, I'd say that suits your personality perfectly. I mean that as a compliment!

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, I'd say that suits your personality perfectly. I mean that as a compliment!

Well Mark, I suppose I should say that plain woods do work well for those who embellish. At that point, the wood itself is no longer the main emphasis of the finished piece....

You're right in that, for me....I see my turning as complimentary to a great piece of wood.....whereas, to someone who embellishes, the wood becomes a secondary element, albeit also a contributing factor to the total effort.

Thanks, I do consider your comment as a compliment....:)

-o-

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

I just noticed where you live. Drove past there last Tuesday on the way to Lake Charles. Pretty part of the state there. I'm in Houma. Like you, not a lot of access to great woods. But I do have some pieces of 150+ year old cypress (harvested back about the Civil War days). Not the best turning wood but makes nice pepper mills that have a bit of history. Some of the wood still has the hand-forged square cut nails (don't ask how I know) :-D

We’ll, since no one has mentioned it…madrone (madrona, arbutus) turns like butter, machines cleanly and, when turned wet, endlessly entertaining as it turns itself into something you may not have expected. Burl or strait-grain there’s nothing else like it. I feel privileged to live where it grows - except when I need to cleanup the mess from shedding bark and falling berries on my deck this time of year…706D95AF-0DDD-4B89-B0B5-721D2FDE2B38.jpeg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
We’ll, since no one has mentioned it…madrone (madrona, arbutus) turns like butter, machines cleanly and, when turned wet, endlessly entertaining as it turns itself into something you may not have expected. Burl or strait-grain there’s nothing else like it. I feel privileged to live where it grows - except when I need to cleanup the mess from shedding bark and falling berries on my deck this time of year…View attachment 52504
I was lucky enough to get a large piece of madrone from somebody in Seattle several years ago. Fantastic figure and nice to turn. Wish I had a photo of the work.

The size and quality of the logs I acquire are much more important to me than the species. Domestic hardwoods, maple, sweetgum, ash, oaks, hickory are all nice, and I’m excited to learn the different species in an intuitive sense. Turning an oak bowl,is different than ash, for instance. Knowing what’s going to want to move while turning, which handles sheer scraping better, which should be thinner and which thicker, what are the problems/challenges and what are plans to mitigate. It’s like raising multiple children; your general approach might be similar, but you treat each differently because they are different, and they are all great.

I make all of my bowls and platters facing out from the tree (pith below the foot). I find this a more pleasing orientation, as it shows the ‘picture’ of the log, the patterns and why they are there. The other, more common orientation may show patterns, but they don’t seem to relate to anything; swirls, swoops, lines, and half circles. While the patterns might be pleasing, they don’t easily relate to, or describe the tree. I think of this as ‘lumber orientation’. In a situation with heartwood and sapwood, ‘face in’, features the sapwood with a bit of heartwood at the ends (who knew a bowl has ends?), where the ’face out’ bowl features the heartwood with some sapwood at the outside. Interesting enough, for the ‘face out’ bowl, the center of the tree is near the center of the bowl, and the outside of the tree is very near the outside of the bowl, which makes sense to me. It takes me just a few seconds to show a customer how the bowl fits into the tree, which makes the bowl more desirable, more friendly.

Consider a photo, a flower blossom, a beautiful face, things we universally find beautiful. Cut it in quarters and reverse the order, turn the photo inside out. Now you have the patterns, lines, swoops and half circles that some people will find fun, but lost is the universal beauty.

I noticed the differences quite naturally in my work, and have pondered the why. Potential buyers likely won’t be able to verbalize the difference but seem to prefer the warmth and quiet charm from a bowl facing out. Maybe there’s a simple psychological explaination. Face the world or turn away? Face to the sun, or, back to the sun? See the beauty of a tree, or see nice lumber.

Facing out always has cost. In this case there is a 1/3 hit in the size of a bowl one can make with a given log. Your gonna need bigger logs.

odie

TOTW Team
@JeffSmith, @Mark Hepburn .....I concur about the Madrone. Very easily turned wood....some of the easiest I've ever turned.

-o-

Here's a little natural edge madrone burl I turned a few years ago....wish I had more of this.....a lot more!

776-3 Madrone burl.JPG 776-1 Madrone burl.JPG

Recently I have turned some spalted maple and some box elder. The box elder was very green and sprayed me a lot but it turns very nicely. The maple was drier but also turned well. Cherry that is not too wild is nice too. Turning mesquite would be great but not much in Minnesota…free sounds good too.

Here in SE Texas lives my favorite wood-- Mesquite! The most imperfectly imperfect wood. Like @Steve Nix (Hi Steve!!) it has all the characteristics I like and no two pieces are the same. Love having the choice of either leaving it natural or adding my favorite minerals to accentuate nature's designs. After that I like Black Walnut, spalted Hackberry, figured Pecan, and on rare occasions Live Oak (when I need a workout--really hard and heavy)

Lucky that there are a lot of nice local species to turn - my favorites to turn green are walnut and cherry, both turn wonderfully, and smell fantastic. Gives you a fully immersed sensation where all your senses are involved.

Otherwise, I've had some ebony and rosewood which are lovely to make spindle projects with.

and lilac, surprisingly. Not large but turns nicely, with wonderful colors and aroma for about 2 hours.
22021KeepsakeUrn2.JPG
Hey there is someone else that has tried lilac. This is a keepsake urn in lilac about 2" diameter by 5" high with an internal volume 3 cubic inches. The lid is threaded at about 13/16" - 16 and the finial should have been more delicate but it was going wonky as I turned it.

Last edited:
Pecan...available in heaps and gobs around here. Oak is my least favorite also widely available here. Other common domestic hardwoods seen pretty scarce locally.

Domestic hardwoods in no particular order: black walnut, about any variety of maple, sweetgum, dogwood when I can get it, bradford pear to name a few I've turned. All can feature stunning figure and colors as we all know. I love cherry too-who doesn't?, though I've had problems with it cracking to firewood even if I seal it. For that reason, it's one wood I've come to prefer kiln-dried when I can get it. Someday I hope to get my hands on some of the western natives if I can get them without paying a fortune to have them shipped.

Exotics for shaving brushes, duck calls and other spindle work: any of the dahlbergias, especially the true rosewoods and cocobolo, african blackwood; desert ironwood, lignum vitae and ebony can also make some gorgeous pieces and take glassy finishes.

Honestly, my favorite wood varies, and is usually whatever is on my lathe that is turning and finishing well at any given time, which I think is true for many of us.
OH yes...I forgot Cocobolo, my favorite of favorites from the overseas exotics.

My favorite wood more and more is becoming whatever I have on the lathe. However there is the great to finish Cherry and Bradford Pear, nice and dark Walnut, beautiful unpredictable grain Live Oak, "you never know whats inside " Pecan, the rare for here Maple, great spalt Sweet Gum, and one unexpectedly easy to turn Persimmon but it only grows to about 8 to 9 inch.

Pacific Madrone, by a long shot! You just never can figure out how it will warp as it dries. You have to be kind of peculiar to be able to get along with this wood, and that may be a large part of why we get along so well...... I would love to turn more black cherry, but it doesn't grow out west here very well, or maybe just very uncommon.

robo hippy

Back