• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yet another tung oil question

I like pure tung oil. I know there are other versions and other oils that dry faster. I often use several coats, but not the 50 or so Ron Kent would use. I wait a few days between coats until it feels dry and I’ve read it’s food safe after a 30 day cure, though most of what I turn is not for food use. I know curing requires exposure to oxygen.

With that background, here’s my question. What’s the minimum time to wait after the last coat of pure tung oil before using something like multiple coats of polycrylic? Can I safely apply immediately when it seems dry, a week after the last coat, or wait the full month till it’s cured?

And is this the same for BLO and other oils?

It’s a lovely endgrain piece, no doubt. Still, don’t know how it would be different without the oil, or without the poly.The top gloss (poly) sure does have a shine that gives a nice ‘pop’, but also brings attention to any surface irregularities.

Have you considered, or tried a hard wax over the seasoned tung oil? The wax still allows the oil to breathe, is quick to apply and has a leveling feel and look. Wax on —wax off! Minwax finishing wax is really quite hard.

Im just pondering so, thank you.

Last edited:
without the poly
It was dull and looked unfinished. I’m new at this—7 months of turning—and learning. So I’m trying lots of things and asking lots of questions. And reading. And watching YouTube, joined AAW, and going to meetings at local chapter, took Jimmy Clewes class. So thats my background. I want to learn so I asked that question and started a thread.

Appreciate your input and that of others.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
Aha! An answer to my question. You don’t have to wait 30 days for complete curing before putting poly over tung.
Only with a very light coat. If you saturate it with the oil it takes a long time to cure. The surface will start curing first and slow oxygen getting deeper into the wood. Another option is to buff and wax after the oil cures with something like the beals system. The tung oil will harden the wood fibers on the surface and allow it to be buffed well. Carnauba wax will give you a semi gloss sheen.

As Chris says you can get what you want (and better and faster) without a plasticky finish: light coat of tung oil, then buff and wax. Lee Valley has picked up the Beale line, including the buffing system. If I were putting a film finish over a full tung oil treatment I would wait 4-6 weeks.

Website
I had heard that Beall went out of business but Woodcraft still has some. Their site said if I buy it for using in lathe: “you'll have to make a 1/4"-20 drawbar to hold it in place.” What is that and how do I do that?

See—I have lots of questions.
There buffs have a 1/4" 20 tpi threads on them. I bought there kit that fits on a motor shaft and built a stand alone buffing station with a 1700 rpm motor from harbor freight. Something like this should clamp down on the 1/4 inch bolt on the buffs if you can't find the adapters. https://woodturnerscatalog.com/p/10...w+bar+collet+chuck&term=draw bar collet chuck

Website
The combination you describe is unusual. The tung oil is known for producing a soft sheen and amber appearance. The polycrylic is unique in producing a shiny finish either with no change to the color, or a slight bluing of the color, and a reduction in chatoyance. Literally, oil and water.

I believe you could produce a similar (and better, IMHO) result, with an oil based poly, like wipe-on poly, a lot easier. Another, simpler alternative would be a 'danish' oil, which is a combination of oil and varnish in a single product. Either of these will mean fewer products in the cupboard, fewer half full cans of finish going bad, easier application, and a shorter learning curve. Feel free to invent your own finish routine, but consider if you'd be better off spending your time learning to sharpen and turn rather than doing home chemistry.

The combination you describe is unusual. The tung oil is known for producing a soft sheen and amber appearance. The polycrylic is unique in producing a shiny finish either with no change to the color, or a slight bluing of the color, and a reduction in chatoyance. Literally, oil and water.

I believe you could produce a similar (and better, IMHO) result, with an oil based poly, like wipe-on poly, a lot easier. Another, simpler alternative would be a 'danish' oil, which is a combination of oil and varnish in a single product. Either of these will mean fewer products in the cupboard, fewer half full cans of finish going bad, easier application, and a shorter learning curve. Feel free to invent your own finish routine, but consider if you'd be better off spending your time learning to sharpen and turn rather than doing home chemistry.
Fabulous advice which I will heed and exactly what I hoped for. Danish oil the next piece. Several coats, and how far apart, a few days? Thanks much.

Just read a wealth of material re DO. Do you use the wet slurry technique for subsequent coats or just a coat a day for 3 days, 600 grit or 0000 wool between or some other technique?

Last edited:
Since you do like Tung Oil, why not use pure Polymerized Tung Oil, it is thinned with a volatile like lemon oil or other, that will evaporate, and you can get a very smooth and shiny finish with two coats (depending on what wood and how the wood used has the surface finished before). here are a couple of my pieces with PTO (Polymerized Tung Oil) that have been polished after the finish is hardened up.

I get mine from Lee Valley and decant into glass closable bottles.

Apple.jpg
Black Cherry.jpg
Black Walnut.jpg
Osage Orange.jpg

Last edited:
Since you do like Tung Oil, why not use pure Polymerized Tung Oil, it is thinned with a volatile like lemon oil or other, that will evaporate, and you can get a very smooth and shiny finish with two coats (depending on what wood and how the wood used has the surface finished before). here are a couple of my pieces with PTO (Polymerized Tung Oil) that have been polished after the finish is hardened up.

I get mine from Lee Valley and decant into glass closable bottles.

View attachment 55787
View attachment 55788
View attachment 55789
View attachment 55790
I’ve got some that is 50:50 W
with citrus oil. I’ll try it. Love how you finished the tenon on the first piece. Thanks.

Everybody develops their preferred method(s) and in time you will too. For now, avoid the weeds, avoid a mix-it-yourself recipe, avoid the latest trendy product, pick one standard method that is known to work and go with it for a while. Ideally, the one you pick is one used by a mentor who can help you learn the nuances.

Back