• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Would You Sell This?

I have recently set up an Etsy shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaloncraftTurnings). I have small and medium sized bowls, some NE, some traditional. Fairly "clean pieces overall." I made this little sugarberry crotch NE bowl. The zone lines are great, but the white/gray rot sort of ruins it. The problem with white rot is that it makes the bowl look dirty.

So what do you think? Should I list this on Etsy? I'm of two minds on it.

IMG_20240917_110018.jpgIMG_20240917_110029.jpg
IMG_20240917_110050.jpgIMG_20240917_110131.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have recently set up an Etsy shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaloncraftTurnings). I have small and medium sized bowls, some NE, some traditional. Fairly "clean pieces overall." I made this little sugarberry crotch NE bowl. The zone lines are great, but the white/gray rot sort of ruins it. The problem with white rot is that it makes the bowl look dirty.

So what do you think? Should I list this on Etsy? I'm of two minds on it.
Me, I go by the philosophy that anything can sell online, but the question is would it be WORTH LISTING? (I.E. Listing fees, item count limits, etc. If something has a listing fee and it does not sell for a couple years, your listing fees would eat up any profit to be had, or even cost you more than you ever make out of it.) If properly described what it is (as you posted above) so folks would know what they were getting, and what YOU think of it, and someone still buys it (maybe they just like the look of it and just want it for decor, or maybe they want to embellish it themselves, etc, etc.) just list it at a price you will be sure to at a minimum break even after all the fees and expenses (transaction fees, packaging materials, tape, ink, printer paper, shipping costs, what have you, etc.) so you can at a minimum break even, or best case, make a profit, and if it gets lots of looks but doesn't sell (or you get PITA lowball offers or messages - Other words, it gets to be a hassle to deal with inquiries, etc.) then simply de-list it and toss it in your yard sale or farmer's market, give it away or throw it in the firewood pile.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
yes

The more listings you have on Etsy, the more chances you have to be seen in a search.

Even if that bowl doesn't sell, the spalting is great, and that could lead to a "click" where a potential buyer enters your shop and then might see something else they like enough to buy it.

-o-

One suggestion is to get a photo tent so you loose a lot of the shadows and two "headlight" reflections in your photos. Also a gradient background seamless paper will improve the look and get away from the stark white. Here is what I mean. The photo has to sell the piece since they can't pick it up. A photo of a John Jordan piece.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.19.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.19.11 PM.png
    568.7 KB · Views: 13

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Kent, good luck on the Etsy site. I would list it. I've been selling there for a while but lately have been scaling it back a lot. In terms of what to list I try to post things that I don't feel will have "surprises" in terms of cracks, feel or appearance once they open the box. Things where the picture is a true representation of what they'll get. Not always possible with a photo, at least for me and my primitive photo capabilities. At 20 cents a listing there's really no risk for cost other than a marketing click fee if you've signed up for it. I've sold things that I didn't care for and almost tossed away but the buyer loved it. As others have said, you look at it differently as a wood turner than a buyer wanting a simple bowl by the back door to put their keys and pocket change in.

Back