• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Would you like one chuck or two?

Chucks are definitely not cheap. A bare SuperNova with insert is $170. I wonder if it make more sense to get a bare G3 for the 2" jaws and use the 4" on the Supernova I already have.
Edit- - scratch that... the G3 chucks use a different style wrench.
I tend to buy the basic chuck and acquire the jaws elsewhere. A lot of my jaws come turners getting rid of them, generally much less than retail. I think now I might have as many as 7 or 8 spare sets of jaws, some are DIY for particular uses. Oh, all are SN2 and most are the larger dia of 125mm or 5", a couple of 100mm

I bought a set of 100 mm jaws for my Supernova chuck but after doing the changeover tonight to use on a bigger bowl I realized that swapping jaws in and out is kind of a pain in the behind. Do most folks have a chuck for each jaw size?
I currently have 2 120mm Vicmarc chucks that share 4-5 different jaw sets. I also useface plates and glue blocks so I can leave them on a bowl until it’s finished but still work on others. This is especially useful during the finishing and drying steps.

I have a super nova 2, G 3, Record Power SC-4, Record Power SC-3 and mini Record Power. I think I need one more Chuck. Nova jaws can be used on Record Power chucks.
Rusty-This is something I'm strongly considering-my internet trigger finger is getting twitchy over the Record Power SC4.

I mainly have 3 chucks so that I can have 2 or 3 projects under way without taking them out of the chuck, and then hoping that remounting them works. It doesn't every time.

...interesting conversation. While people are talking about chucks, what are your opinions on Cole jaws for reverse mounting? I am pretty new to turning, and it takes me a long time to make a true jam chuck. Many times I over cut it, and end up using my poorly fitted jam chuck as a friction chuck. I am not a fan of friction chucks because I like to turn the entire bottom. I have been using the "blue tape and hot glue" method, and it seems to work well for me. I've thought about buying another chuck and leaving a set of large Cole jaws on it, but I don't know how well they work. How well do they hold ? Do they self-center well? Thanks as always for your good advice.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I thought about cole jaws, after making myself a longworth chuck (not difficult if you have a router, and there's a couple how-tos on youtube) but more and more I just go with friction chucks, without worrying too much about jam chucking - I developed the skill to turn the bottom with tailstock support in place and getting the final nub down to where I can then finish cutting it off with a few turns by hand of the bowl while detail gouge slices the last bit off.

Cole jaws (and longworth chuck) won't solve every bottom turning issue - especially if you have an embellished rim, or unusual shape (calabash comes to mind)...

So my friction chucks, I just have a few that I have turned to fit a typical bottom profile, and then I use cheap jar opener grippers I buy at the local Dollar General - Sort of like these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0981TNW78 but I get them in plain white, undyed, so they don't stain the wood (Though they can stick to uncured finish, if you're too aggressive with the gouge, but even that will buff out fairly easily) - Stick a pad on a jam chuck, put bowl on it and bring up tailstock to center on the same dimple as when I trued up the tenon, turn off the tenon and finish the bottom except for perhaps 1/8" of the center (which holds nub in place) then trim down the nub to the point where it'd just break off, but stop the lathe then stick gouge up into nub and turn lathe by hand to cut the rest of it off.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
...interesting conversation. While people are talking about chucks, what are your opinions on Cole jaws for reverse mounting? I am pretty new to turning, and it takes me a long time to make a true jam chuck. Many times I over cut it, and end up using my poorly fitted jam chuck as a friction chuck. I am not a fan of friction chucks because I like to turn the entire bottom. I have been using the "blue tape and hot glue" method, and it seems to work well for me. I've thought about buying another chuck and leaving a set of large Cole jaws on it, but I don't know how well they work. How well do they hold ? Do they self-center well? Thanks as always for your good advice.
Below is from a discussion about this back in July.

Cole jaws tip

Last edited:
I found for me anyway, that two axminster 114's with all the jaws on their own accessory mounts; I can change jaws in a minute; so I rarely ever use the two SN2 chucks I also have.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
what are your opinions on Cole jaws for reverse mounting?
A vacuum chuck and pump is the best solution
Cole jaws work well on bowls with rims that can be gripped by the buttons or custom buttons that have walls a 1/2” thick or more.
There are lots of rims that won’t work. With the Cole jaws.
Thin walled bowls have the risk of breaking or flexing and not holding in the buttons.

I prefer a straka chuck ( donut chuck). Works with all rim designs. Thin bowls and NE bowls can be accommodated by adding a padded cylinder to the rest in side the bottom holding the rim off the chuck. A simple way to do this is use a length of pvc pipe glued into a groove with fun foam or leather glued to the rim.

A friction drive lets you work most of the bottom except for about a 1/4”
I have a vacuum chuck but often prefer to use a friction drive.

Do they self-center well?
Yes, As long as the rim is true round a flat against the jaws where the rim meets the button.

Last edited:
I just read a nice article about Straka chucks. That is certainly one of the safer ways to go. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I just read a nice article about Straka chucks. That is certainly one of the safer ways to go. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Straka chucks are useful for holding spheres. Below is a handout showing a method of making them that is quick and easy.
This is designed for spheres but holds small bowls.
MDF works well for smaller ones. If I were making one larger than say 14” diameterI would use plywood.

Website
kendorart.com
I bought a set of 100 mm jaws for my Supernova chuck but after doing the changeover tonight to use on a bigger bowl I realized that swapping jaws in and out is kind of a pain in the behind. Do most folks have a chuck for each jaw size?
I have, after many, many years, owned three, as the needs arose, I would order them based on the project. It is convenient, but it is also based on your budget and what tool you'd like to buy next. ( I probably could have lived with two) Ken

I use a vacuum Chuck with a pump. I have a reverse adapter that lets me get the bowl centered on the vacuum Chuck so it runs true. The adapter screws into the Chuck and has a M2 taper to fit into the tail stock.

I have Cole jaws and use them a lot. They work well for the shape of my bowls.

I got lucky and received a oneway talon chuck with my first lathe and then a stronghold chuck with my second lathe. And now all I can think is that I would really like to have one or two more haha. I would likely never go back to just one chuck. The versatility of being able to hold onto a breadth of different tenon diameters is just one more thing that allows you to keep working and thinking on your current project.

I just picked up a used Stronghold this past Monday night at my local turner's meeting, for just the reason you say. I've been thinking about getting a second Stronghold for quite a while, and couldn't pass it up. We had a used tool silent auction and one of our older members was getting rid of stuff.
Having to change jaws isn't the end of the world but it's nice to have the flexibility of another chuck.

Have multiple chucks, though I have found that using a Bondhus t-handle ball end hex driver takes a surprising amount of the pain out of changing jaws. The t-handle has enough weight in the ends of the tee to allow you to give the driver a twirl/spin and have it keep spinning long enough to quickly get the screw through the free-turning range of its threads.

I have cole jaws. They are a pain in my opinion. If I used them more maybe I'd be better at determining where to place the rubber jaws and as the original topic subject-I hate changing out the jaws on my chucks (I have 2). I started using a vacuum chuck and have never looked back. Vacuum chucking offers more versatility for live edge bowls, hollow forms, etc.

Ok, I’ll look into a titan although I might just get another supernova 2, I have the new one with a closed back plate and nickel coating which doesn’t corrode and I love it

this is the problem Nova's Infinity chuck was designed to solve. change jaws in seconds without any tools! Unfortunately the idea didn't take hold for a variety of reasons and they discontinued them 5 years ago or so. I got one when I bought my DVR-XP 10 years ago and thought it was a great idea. I won't elaborate the details of how this happened, but I was gifted a range of jaws from small enough (1.3 inch tenon) to one that will hold a 4" tenon. When the Infinity was discontinued, I was able to find closeouts and private sales through this forum and I now have three Infinity chucks and 9 sets of jaws!

Since then Easywood Tools now has the Easy Chuck.

Back